1st Balsa Build, Sig Four-Star 20

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well while waiting for the new (hopefully fits) cowl to print let's throw some decals on.

@Bricks , got the linkage for the throttle hooked up as per your picture. Should all be good, just enough travel from fully closed to full open with it set at 100% so still a little room to spare if needed.

2020_1212_104141_003.JPG

speedbirdted

Legendary member
This is looking good! Certainly better than the first balsa build I did. :ROFLMAO:

About the cowl: If you used PLA, don't. It sucks at basically everything except being cheap. It's brittle, and heat will warp it out of shape in no time. Glow engine exhaust also isn't particularly nice to it. I think it will soften it over time. It doesn't matter how well you deflect your exhaust away from the cowl; engines have other ways of expelling fuel and oil onto everything surrounding them. This is why you never want a cowl that seals flush with the fuselage bottom as oil will slowly accumulate in it and soak into everything. At the very least, drill a hole. My strategy would be to if you want to use a printed cowling, use something more hardy like ABS or PETG, if it comes down to the two I would say PETG because it doesn't offgas like ABS does.

Another strategy would be to print a cowl pattern with whatever material you want; then use that to make a negative mold out of Hydrocal or something and lay up glass on that, which will give you a much stronger end product. In a pinch you can also use the pattern itself as the mold (just use a healthy amount of release wax!) though you'll have to do much more sanding to get a smooth surface in the end. If you ditch the printer entirely you can just make the cowling plug out of XPS foam but beware that in that case you can't do the second option; if you use polyester resin, you must make a negative mold as polyester resin has a nasty habit of destroying most types of foams on contact. You can however get around this by using epoxy resin instead of polyester.

I would also suggest at least sealing the firewall with glass resin. Any wood left unsealed will eventually become soaked with fuel - this is one of the reasons we cover airplanes in the first place :p Glass resin does this job phenomenally well as it's thin enough to be brushed onto surfaces and if you thin it further with denatured alcohol it can permeate into the wood grain itself which will make fuel totally unable to creep in. You can use cloth here too if you really want the extra strength but any airplane where the specified firewall isn't strong enough without it is poorly designed...

Wildthing

Legendary member
This is looking good! Certainly better than the first balsa build I did. :ROFLMAO:

About the cowl: If you used PLA, don't. It sucks at basically everything except being cheap. It's brittle, and heat will warp it out of shape in no time. Glow engine exhaust also isn't particularly nice to it. I think it will soften it over time. It doesn't matter how well you deflect your exhaust away from the cowl; engines have other ways of expelling fuel and oil onto everything surrounding them. This is why you never want a cowl that seals flush with the fuselage bottom as oil will slowly accumulate in it and soak into everything. At the very least, drill a hole. My strategy would be to if you want to use a printed cowling, use something more hardy like ABS or PETG, if it comes down to the two I would say PETG because it doesn't offgas like ABS does.

Another strategy would be to print a cowl pattern with whatever material you want; then use that to make a negative mold out of Hydrocal or something and lay up glass on that, which will give you a much stronger end product. In a pinch you can also use the pattern itself as the mold (just use a healthy amount of release wax!) though you'll have to do much more sanding to get a smooth surface in the end. If you ditch the printer entirely you can just make the cowling plug out of XPS foam but beware that in that case you can't do the second option; if you use polyester resin, you must make a negative mold as polyester resin has a nasty habit of destroying most types of foams on contact. You can however get around this by using epoxy resin instead of polyester.

I would also suggest at least sealing the firewall with glass resin. Any wood left unsealed will eventually become soaked with fuel - this is one of the reasons we cover airplanes in the first place :p Glass resin does this job phenomenally well as it's thin enough to be brushed onto surfaces and if you thin it further with denatured alcohol it can permeate into the wood grain itself which will make fuel totally unable to creep in. You can use cloth here too if you really want the extra strength but any airplane where the specified firewall isn't strong enough without it is poorly designed...
Thanks,

Well my pla cowl is on already , just haven't loaded up the pictures. If it distorts or melts down I will probably just take it off totally and go without one.
The wood is sealed with thinned out epoxy so shouldn't have any fuel issues.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Ok so cowl is on, I have set the rates, now waiting on the battery holder for two 18650 batteries and a spinner. Then I can do a final balance plus also finish off the wiring. I need the batteries for ballast in the tail and I think the two of them will be just about right for weight.
2020_1213_084327_004.JPG
2020_1213_084344_005.JPG
2020_1213_085025_001.JPG

Last edited:

chris398mx

Master member
Ok so cowl is on, I have set the rates, now waiting on the battery holder for two 18650 batteries and a spinner. Then I can do a final balance plus also finish off the wiring. I need the batteries for ballast in the tail and I think the two of them will be just about right for weight.
View attachment 186113 View attachment 186114 View attachment 186115
Looks awesome, I hope the dark blue isn't hard for you to see against the sky. I had one that color and it was hard to see at times. Great looking build!

Bricks

Master member
A little surprised she came out tail heavy, you did a very nice job on her congratulations.

Do not forget to setup fail safe.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Looks awesome, I hope the dark blue isn't hard for you to see against the sky. I had one that color and it was hard to see at times. Great looking build!
Thanks, we will see how it goes for color, usually when you are off a bit in the distance it just becomes a black silhouette no matter the color.

Wildthing

Legendary member
A little surprised she came out tail heavy, you did a very nice job on her congratulations.

Do not forget to setup fail safe.
No it isn't tail heavy, that's why I am planning on putting the batteries in the tail end as ballast.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
have to wait until springtime :D
I know we have a couple days of warmer close to zero weather coming on Tuesday, should hit you just after that. You have a great field to fly from, why wait till spring? Or is it a glow thing?

Mine being electric might be different

Wildthing

Legendary member
I know we have a couple days of warmer close to zero weather coming on Tuesday, should hit you just after that. You have a great field to fly from, why wait till spring? Or is it a glow thing?

Mine being electric might be different
It's a glow but I don't feel like making skis or pontoons for it.

speedbirdted

Legendary member