1st time slope soaring

herbertjalarcon

Elite member
So with this lockdown, my local field is closed and all the others are limiting admission to 10 people at a time, so I've been looking for other places to fly. Started thinking about slope soaring...I built a Simple Soarer a few months back to launch off of my twin engine hauler (which is a lot of fun) and I've hi-started it a bunch, but have never gotten great air time...either too much wind or not enough heat for thermals... While looking for a place to fly my P-38, I noticed on google maps a ridge with a nice pad cut into the top, all part of a trail that starts across the street from my best friend's house... it's about a mile hike, with the first part pretty steep, but then it levels off into a nice walk... I watched some video before attempting to soar, and here is the result...best part, glider lived to fly again this Wednesday!

Piotrsko

Master member
I believe you're flying thermals that are constrained by the mini bowl (?) off to the right. The bushes dont seem to be moving much so not a lot of wind & you need at least enough to make streamers fly.

OTOH, killer site. I'm jealous. BTW add a click of down trm, it's stalling so you need to go a bit faster.

herbertjalarcon

Elite member
Awsome!!!! What was it blowing?
I believe you're flying thermals that are constrained by the mini bowl (?) off to the right. The bushes dont seem to be moving much so not a lot of wind & you need at least enough to make streamers fly.

OTOH, killer site. I'm jealous. BTW add a click of down trm, it's stalling so you need to go a bit faster.
No thermals...it was cold...the slope is pretty steep about 10 ft down the slope, so there's barely any wind where you stand, but it was blowing 10mph a few feet in front of the ridge...it was a perfect spot...and we could see my friend's house from the pad...it wasn't really stalling as much as being buffeted by the wind...the simple soarer is really light and I only had a 1300 battery in the nose for weight...it was a little light to penetrate...but I'll try the trim... it felt really great to fly...didn't feel like it needed trimming, just constant input as the wind was a bit gusty as well...

herbertjalarcon

Elite member

oh, and the bushes are Manzanita, they don't blow in the wind too much ! hahahahaha pretty tough on planes as well! hahahahahaha

herbertjalarcon

Elite member

Here is an overhead view of the pad...the wind comes from the northwest, right up the slope and with the canyons on both sides it has a massive amount of lift off the W/NW point...I'll be out there again Wednesday afternoon!

Attachments

• Soaring pad.png
    Soaring pad.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 0

Tench745

Master member
It's exciting to see you having so much success on your first attempt!

I've tried sloping my SS a couple times. I don't have a site anywhere near that nice, so it takes a good blow to get enough ridge lift for my inexperience. I keep running into a problem where the rudder isn't enough to keep the plane pointed where I want in those strong winds, so after a while it all ends with either an uncontrolled roll into an eventual stall and nose-dive or a trek down to the base of the hill when I fly out of the lift.

herbertjalarcon

Elite member
It's exciting to see you having so much success on your first attempt!

I've tried sloping my SS a couple times. I don't have a site anywhere near that nice, so it takes a good blow to get enough ridge lift for my inexperience. I keep running into a problem where the rudder isn't enough to keep the plane pointed where I want in those strong winds, so after a while it all ends with either an uncontrolled roll into an eventual stall and nose-dive or a trek down to the base of the hill when I fly out of the lift.
I feel you! You might want to try some more weight...I noticed the wind really threw mine around with just a 1300 battery in it...