2.4 ghz still being used?

delta590

so i had a question on reddit here it goes
im currently trying to make my syma x5sw-1 fly further range. im starting to think this is a waste of money. i already did the 2.4 ghz antenna mod from my linksys route and its not allowing me the freedom i want. my question is what equipment ( on a budget) do i need that allow me a good fpv medium to long range setup? im currently reading about the ez uhf series but what tx do i need for that? i would like to take these parts and make custom aircraft and be able to use the motors and tx and rx equipment. so is there any parts list i can get that will all be compatible with eachother. im afraid of buying the wrong parts and getting no use. anyone got a great fpv setup they like to share? maybe cost as well?

after i posted this i was told
Get a "real" 2.4Ghz transmitter (I'd suggest the FrSky Taranis)
Then use a 5.8 Ghz system for the video signal. This will grant you well over 1km for the control inputs. The video range depends heavily on the system you use.

{ my question } does anyone have a kit or parts they can suggest? i would like to have a transmitter that id be able to use with custom aircraft and not have to buy a new transmitter for each plan i build or fly . i would love to start building some cool stuff. anyone have a list of parts that will give long range tx rx and fpv but also be able to go from one project to the next?

joshuabardwell

Mentor
If you have about $200 to spend on the transmitter, get a Taranis and don't look back. Any of the common programmable transmitters in the range of about $100 and up will have multiple model memory, so you don't have to get a new one for each plane you have.

The UHF systems work one of two ways. Either they are in a JR module, which plugs into the back of your transmitter (assuming it has a JR module bay) or they plug into the transmitter's trainer port and get signals from it that way. The JR module is much lighter and less obtrusive. The ImmersionRC ezUHF is a good choice. The Hobbyking OpenLRS has some QC issues.

But honestly, FrSky 2.4 GHz control, such as is used by the Taranis (or any other transmitter, if you get a FrSky JR module) can give 1 km of range out of the box, and if you combine it with a directional antenna, it can go much further. So there may not be much incentive to go with the expense and complexity of a UHF system.