2.4ghz Interference

zann68

Today 03/18/12 myself and both my sons went to have a fly day together. I took 3 planes and my sons took there gear. We started out flying my oldest sons funbat on a DX6i and the plane freaked out and crashed. The elevator servo was holding full throw. We thought it was a glitched servo. I went and tried to fly 2 park jets and the same thing happened, servos going nuts. I took out the StikFlyer and all was well for a bit and one of it;s servos went full trow. My youngest sons Traxxas 2.4g. The steering servo did the same thing. There is a Cell tower about 600 feet or more away from us. Has anybody else seen this before?? We have flown here before with no issues:mad:

Thanks in Advance

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
It does not have to be a 2,4 source to jam the RC equipment.
If the source of interference is strong enough it will saturate everything else in the close neighborhood.
A normal cellphone directly on top of a TX can also cause problems.

Spektrum DSM2 isn't that good at avoiding jamming. DSMX is alright though. Even cheap Turnigy 9x is more resistant to jamming. Spektrum DSM2 was very over priced for out dated technology. At least they have caught up now.

fred0000

is it all working ok at home? (not near the cell tower)

that would pretty well tell you if it was the cell tower or not.

zann68

is it all working ok at home? (not near the cell tower)

that would pretty well tell you if it was the cell tower or not.

Everything seems to be working fine now. My sons 2.4g Traxxas Short Course is working fine also. I have never had this happen before.

zann68

Spektrum DSM2 isn't that good at avoiding jamming. DSMX is alright though. Even cheap Turnigy 9x is more resistant to jamming. Spektrum DSM2 was very over priced for out dated technology. At least they have caught up now.

Well the radio has served me well but I've been thinking of buying a new radio. I have all this FPV gear coming. I keep coming across people using this FrSky stuff any thoughts

One of the places my son and I fly has a cell tower with what we think might be a repeater on it as well. It has given the Sektrum stuff hell as well as Fly Sky. The only thing that has been flawless in that environment is the FrSky. I can't vouch for Futaba's FAAST system since we don't have it. Oh, dsmx gets hit there as well.
Jay

I just use the standard Turnigy 9x module (Fly Sky) but if I was having issues I'd go the FrSky route as I have only heard great things about it.

I'd have more confidence in the FrSky than the Fly Sky or Spektrum.

Bigenglish

I just use the standard Turnigy 9x module (Fly Sky) but if I was having issues I'd go the FrSky route as I have only heard great things about it.

I'd have more confidence in the FrSky than the Fly Sky or Spektrum.

Ive had both Spektrum & fly sky for years, without a single problem EVER, so no lack of confidence from me. On the other hand my experience with Turnigy products have not allways been good ones.