2 SketchUP Models

Aero_Maint_13

Here are a couple of designs I've been playing with. The first one is based off a paper airplane I made in middle school. They were made from two circles, cut from paper and taped to a straw. They fly really far and are pretty stable for such a simple design. I have no idea if it would work as a 3 channel r/c plane. Also, figuring out how to control the rudder(s) and elevator(s) is going to be a challenge. I was thinking of controlling them with a push pull rod or having each control surface act independently by moving to the outside of the circle, rather than moving to the inside. Would making this a pusher be more effective? Please let me know what you think.
The Second model is a Forward Swept wing I've really been wanting to create. I plan on using two GP Hyperflow 370 EDF's. I've looked everywhere trying to find a r/c version of a Fwd swept wing with no luck. I don't know if this is a bad thing. I have seen them used as wings like the X-29 or the SU-47, just not a true flying wing. Both of these will be made from Dollar Tree foam board. I'm looking for some feedback on the two before building them. Has anyone else built a Fwd swept wing or know of any information on this design? Any info would be helpful. Thanks...

Attachments

• The O's.png
    The O's.png
    156.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Winger.png
    Winger.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 118

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I have the first design underway with the same idea but as a free flight model. ;)

Thurmond

eagle4

i made one of those circle planes when i was a kid too, flew great. never thought about it for rc though. i am definately curious

as for the forward swept flying wing i am also very curious, this is something i had thought of before but never got around to making it. I'm really looking forward to seeing if you can make these and how they fly.for the flying wing, it might be good to make a smaller scale version and do some glide tests. might save you a ton of time, money and effort

daniel_t

I also made one of those circle planes as a kid. I didn't use a straw for the fuselage though, I used paper folded into a triangle tube. As for how to control direction with that, I would be inclined to try for some sort of wing warping rather than trying to cut out control surfaces... Or maybe use the FliteTest articulated fuselage, now that would be cool!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Physical supports will get tricky, but I could see vectored thrust doing well on this one.

kinda like some of the models here:

http://www.crazyplanes.de

If I can sort out how to build the vector mechanism on some of these, I've been itching to make a couple of them . . .

Aero_Maint_13

Thanks for the feedback. I plan on building the Fwd swept wing first. I have spent more than 8 hours designing it in SketchUP. If anyone wants to learn this program I would highly suggest searching JasonEricAnderson in the How To section of the Flitetest website. He has a 6 part series that really helped out a lot.

I watched the video on the articulated fuselage and like the idea. The only problem I see is how to mount the electronics to a movable arm. I guess you could mount everything in the rear and have the front circle be the moveable surface, a reverse of the flitetest plane, I just don't know if it would be stable enough.