200% Bloody Wonder!

20D65927.jpeg

I went to Flite Fest this year and saw a lot or really cool scratch builds. One of my favorites was a 200% Bloody Wonder. It looked so awesome and looked like it flew amazing. When I got back from Flite Fest, I decided to make one. It only took 5 shees of foam and took about 5 hours to build. I had a old aerosky Sbach that I didn't like too much, so I gutted it and put all the electronics on the giant Bloody Wonder. I had an extra servo, so I made a rudder to put on the wonder. when it was done, I put some tape on the bottom and flew it. It is now my favorite plane to fly. It can fly like a trainer or a hardcore 3d plane. The rudder doesn't have as much authority as I thought, but it could do snap rolls and other fun things. The wing spar is all foam, but you need to put in 2 spars if you are going to fly 3d.

After I got really comfortable with it, I tryed to do a glider tow with my little brother's glider. It didn't work very well, but it was still really fun!
20140818_191557.jpg

A few weeks later, the president of a local rc club asked me to do a demo with one of my home made planes at our local harvest fest. Of course I chose to fly my huge bloody wonder. It was so much fun!

Electronics: any motor that can swing a 15x6 prop on a 4 cell. 60-70 amp esc. 17 gram servos. 4s 2200-3000

Last edited:

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
I was there and it was awesome! :applause:

(I'm the guy with the orange-green painted BW that talked to you after your flight)

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Hey, my home field! That had some intense maneuvering, I didn't know DTFB could handle that aggressive maneuvering at a large scale. Great work!

I used 2 foam spars instead of one just to be safe. I also put a few pieces or 1/8th inch ply where the two sheets of foam board meet.

Last edited:

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
I remember the big BW at Flitefest. Pretty cool that you got one made that fast and it flies that well. Is the rudder authority too weak for knife edge? If so, I wonder if making the regular twin-tail design and then putting rudders on both verticals would enable KE? I suppose that the main problem though is the way the BW fuse design is so flat, with little side surface-area.

I remember the big BW at Flitefest. Pretty cool that you got one made that fast and it flies that well. Is the rudder authority too weak for knife edge? If so, I wonder if making the regular twin-tail design and then putting rudders on both verticals would enable KE? I suppose that the main problem though is the way the BW fuse design is so flat, with little side surface-area.
I could never get it to KE. I did try side force generators, but they weren't enough.

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
Now that you mention it, I recognize that club field in the video now too...I visited it some years ago while out that way. I remember there were prairie dogs just outside the runway...and all through the area.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Lots and lots of prairie dogs... I didn't know anyone else liked FT around there either, they thought I was a laughing stock the first time I brought my Spitfire. A few inverted tail touches sobered them up a little. :)

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Oho, that will help things nicely. We'll win them over yet. By far my favorite moment at that field was seeing a guy pull out a turbine F-22 when I was flying my 175% FT-22. The guy was really snobbish about my "foamie". At least I came back with mine in 1 piece.;)

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
Oho, that will help things nicely. We'll win them over yet. By far my favorite moment at that field was seeing a guy pull out a turbine F-22 when I was flying my 175% FT-22. The guy was really snobbish about my "foamie". At least I came back with mine in 1 piece.;)

Funny! :eek:

So already 4 arvada modeler members in this thread? Awesome!