200% FT Viggen for Flite Fest East 2017

defier3d

Well I figured I would post a quick thread about the large EDF Viggen that I am madly working to have ready for FF East. I should have started sooner, but many things (new house) have slowed me down. That said I think I can have it at least ready to maiden in time for FF East. This will be our first time coming and we are really excited.

I will do a better update later and more info on this big jet. Pictures to come. XPS 128mm EDF system (6 or 12s to be determined).

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Well alright, another Wisconsinite! Can't wait to see the giant viggen. Where about in Wisconsin are you? I'm in Fond du Lac.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Well I figured I would post a quick thread about the large EDF Viggen that I am madly working to have ready for FF East. I should have started sooner, but many things (new house) have slowed me down. That said I think I can have it at least ready to maiden in time for FF East. This will be our first time coming and we are really excited.

I will do a better update later and more info on this big jet. Pictures to come. XPS 128mm EDF system (6 or 12s to be determined).
:applause::applause::applause:
Of course we will all be wanting to see you succeed in this. Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your plane.

defier3d

Sponz: Guess I should update my location. Used to be in Iola over closer to Stevens point. I was in FDL often for work. Was awesome living there for Airventure! Now we are back near family in the Duluth/Superior area. Still WI though.

LitterBug: Finish it! It is a great flying plane. Probably my favorite FT design!

Jim: Thanks! Time crunch now, but I am determined!

defier3d

Here is the wing and a couple other parts I have done.

I created a top skin for the wing to make it stronger. Designed in SolidWorks it works pretty well. I tried it out on my standard size viggen.

20170626_220812_zps8fpzgh1u.jpg
20170626_220559_zpsz4giifaf.jpg

This plane looked big on the floor, but it is giant wen compared to a standing person this thing is HUUUUUGGGGEEE!!! I can't wait to see footage of it flying.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Very cool! Awesome job so far on the airframe. Are you planning on hand launch/belly land or gear? Would be really cool to try to do the thrust revereser like the real one at that size!

defier3d

Very cool! Awesome job so far on the airframe. Are you planning on hand launch/belly land or gear? Would be really cool to try to do the thrust revereser like the real one at that size!

Just going to do hand launch and belly landing. I originally wanted to do retracts, but time won't allow this close to FF. If I have time, I'll do thrust vectoring, but I doubt I will get that done.

My 100% Viggen had thrust vector on Elevator. Made for fun flying. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPyK_5KE5O8&t=1s

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Wow! This is looking awesome!!

From my recent experiences with lack of airspeed on hand launches, I'd say we might want to help you get a bungee or high start at Flite Fest to make sure you get some speed and altitude right away. I'll be bringing my bungee launcher, and depending on how heavy this turns out we might be able to double (or triple) up the cord and give you a good boost.

defier3d

Thanks guys... and thanks for the offer to help get it in the air. I am hoping that with a greater than 1 to 1 thrust to weight it will just fly straight up out of my hand. But if not the bungee sounds like a great idea. My all up weight goal is under 10lb. With a 15lb thrust EDF it should scream!!! and maybe just rip itself apart... Hehe... either way it will be fun! ;)