200% White Diamond

jfaleo1

Well Since I have been working on a bunch of new planes and repairs while I have been dealing with a lot of other projects I thought I might share a couple.

1st up a 200% White Diamond originally by @JGplanes. the intended setup is two 55mm fans and 4S battery. Additionally I plan to look at adding a set of retracts for ROG and it will have a fuselage similar to the 3d printed one. Hardest decision is how to do the flight controls, stick with elevons, or split the elevators and ailerons.
IMG_4801.jpeg IMG_4794.jpeg IMG_4796.jpeg IMG_4799.jpeg

L Edge

Master member
Well Since I have been working on a bunch of new planes and repairs while I have been dealing with a lot of other projects I thought I might share a couple.

1st up a 200% White Diamond originally by @JGplanes. the intended setup is two 55mm fans and 4S battery. Additionally I plan to look at adding a set of retracts for ROG and it will have a fuselage similar to the 3d printed one. Hardest decision is how to do the flight controls, stick with elevons, or split the elevators and ailerons.
View attachment 152139 View attachment 152145 View attachment 152143 View attachment 152141

I stayed with elevons and if you use differential thrust for rudder, you will have more than enough to handle at slow or fast speeds.
Even rights itself in gusty weather. Only bad point, it's profile needs to be watched closely, being so narrow.

jfaleo1

what was your scale up? 150% or 200%? and what fan size did you use? At standard size the 50mm with 3S is fast and works well. I hope that with the scale up the two 55mm on 4S will be enough as long as I reduce the weight where I can. I think I may actually make the rudder functional since it will be slightly aft of the thrust tube outlets and the tubes are so close together as to make differential limited in its effectiveness. Differential thrust and Thrust vector vanes are also on the table though.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
what was your scale up? 150% or 200%? and what fan size did you use? At standard size the 50mm with 3S is fast and works well. I hope that with the scale up the two 55mm on 4S will be enough as long as I reduce the weight where I can. I think I may actually make the rudder functional since it will be slightly aft of the thrust tube outlets and the tubes are so close together as to make differential limited in its effectiveness. Differential thrust and Thrust vector vanes are also on the table though.
Could you explain a thrust vector vane?

jfaleo1

Sure. What I meant by this was placing a moving surface in the outlet of the thrust tube(s) of just aft of it(them) to direct the outlet flow similar to the louvres in the heating/cooling vents in a car can direct the flow of air. I have no 3D printer this would be easier for me than a vectoring complete exhaust nozzle. Also I do not intend to use this in pitch for now only yaw. That is why I hope the standard rudder will suffice.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Sure. What I meant by this was placing a moving surface in the outlet of the thrust tube(s) of just aft of it(them) to direct the outlet flow similar to the louvres in the heating/cooling vents in a car can direct the flow of air. I have no 3D printer this would be easier for me than a vectoring complete exhaust nozzle. Also I do not intend to use this in pitch for now only yaw. That is why I hope the standard rudder will suffice.
Cool!! That's completely different than what I had in mind...I have a printer, if you want something printed you can send me the files and I'll print them for.

jfaleo1

Cool!! That's completely different than what I had in mind...I have a printer, if you want something printed you can send me the files and I'll print them for.

I appreciate the offer, and I may take you up on it. I do have a guy I work with who also flys RC (mostly giant scale) but he has 3 3D printers as well. He actually printed a canopy for one of your L-39s I built, but we are still working on it.
Since this is a one off build for now I am not setting up for anything to crazy or innovative for now. If I need a vane I have thin sheet aluminum and also thin plastic I would make it from.
I am not even sure if the power system will do it yet, but with all the wing area it should be ok. If not I will get two more of these 55mm units and set it up with four motors.
I would put the 6s capable 70mm I have coming on it but it is going into an L-39 with race wing tips. 😁 wait till you see the L-39 I fit the 55mm into, I’ll post pics soon when I get it done along with the mods I made, should be a rocket.

jfaleo1

Hey that raises a question, Has anyone here done a twin EDF's on the wingtips of a jet?

I’m not sure, but I can tell you matching them very closely would be an absolute must. Go for it, it has been at least considered in the full scale world. Could be fun or a disaster, and that’s what we all strive for on here😁.

L Edge

Master member

P1010011.JPG

In this case, heli flybars were used to provide elevons and rudder mounted in the exhaust flow and servos provide the deflection. Thrust vectoring is usually associated with a gimbal exhaust where vanes are inserted into the exhaust airflow.
Designed a system for channeled prop flow to allow thrust vectoring capabilities.

L Edge

Master member

About 175% scale up. Used a cheap 5 bladed 64 with TV gimbal where I can shut off the TV. Used a 3s 1300mah and had plenty of getup and go. Much more control with rudder than without, especially in windy conditions.

jfaleo1

About 175% scale up. Used a cheap 5 bladed 64 with TV gimbal where I can shut off the TV. Used a 3s 1300mah and had plenty of getup and go. Much more control with rudder than without, especially in windy conditions.

That’s why I want a rudder. I’m in Kansas, wind is average 15 to 20 mph most of the year🙄

jfaleo1

Ok now you just upped the cool factor on the white diamond, I really wanna see this maiden

Thanks, I am actually trying to take my time on this one but it is hard not to rush it. I’m a big sci-fi fan and from the start and @JGplanes design just looked like a starfighter of some kind, Babylon 5’s White Star came to mind. So after he did the 3D print fuselage it was even more so. Plus it flys great.
I am still wondering about power but as an ROG I think it will be okay and it is pretty light so far, plus a lot of wing area. If it does not have enough power a 64mm fan could be added above and between the 55s but flight times may go down😁
Nothing here is finalized yet since the gear and electronic install is not done yet but I am glad you like it so far.😎

jfaleo1

That is sick my friend, can't wait for the maiden!! Makes me want to build another one...

I’ve built like 6 now, 2 with the printed pods and 2 EDFs included, 2 were damaged shipping back from FliteFest.
Started cutting for retracts this morning. Nose shroud is being molded to include a forward “gun” port to contain the nose retract unit, mains will go into the aft shroud.next to the thrust tube.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I’ve built like 6 now, 2 with the printed pods and 2 EDFs included, 2 were damaged shipping back from FliteFest.
Started cutting for retracts this morning. Nose shroud is being molded to include a forward “gun” port to contain the nose retract unit, mains will go into the aft shroud.next to the thrust tube.
Just to be clear on the scale of this, what are the dimensions?

jfaleo1

It is 43 inches long and 39 inch at widest span. So not small by any means but not a giant either. sorry I took so long to answer.