2017/2018 Balsa Build Along Dare/Brodak DC-3

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Yeah, SoLite is super light weight, but might be too light for a plane this size. The color looks like SoLite Silver, which is why I asked. Roversgonemad is right, be careful about over-shrinking as it'll bend or snap the balsa like, well... balsa! :)

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
I did the math and with some rough estimations on the surface area, we're only talking a savings of about 4 oz if I were to switch. I think it makes sense to stick with what I've got.

Yeah, snapping the structure in the last steps would be terrible. the fuselage is actually extremely strong but the trailing edges of the wings have me nervous.

I recommend really slow shrinking with the iron, for better control. I shrunk the park lite on my L-19 with a gun, and broke ribs in the wing. Any repairs since have been done with the iron only.

TexMechsRobot

Gotta say, this is the hardest model I've ever covered. Wrinkles galore. I'm not entirely happy but I'm at least satisfied. All of the curves required multiple pieces which then didn't want to shrink correctly. I'm not sure what I could have done differently. I'd be interested on a "how to" for covering this type of model.

I'm still in progress and I haven't been taking pictures.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I feel you man. I have more strips than I like in my most recent covering too, and still more to come.

And it's really darn hard to take pictures while covering. People don't come equipped with enough hands to do complex covering already, so dealing with a camera too just isn't easy.

You don´t need to take a picture while you are covering.
Just document your progress.
We want to see your work!

Good Luck
Jetcrafter2000

abieex

Mentor
Just try to remember that covering is an art form. You'll get better as you go. My first Monokote job looked like paper mache', lol.

TexMechsRobot

Well this isn't my first time covering but it just didn't work out like I'd hoped. I did learn though and the wing came out much better than the fuselage. I plan to install the flaps and ailerons today and then get all of the pushrods and control surfaces hooked up. I'd also like to finish painting the plastic pieces and then I'll be ready for decals.

I'll do pictures when I'm ready ;)

TexMechsRobot

I spent most of the weekend working on a pet project of mine. I've had a shelf/rack for my model paints for a while now but I was getting annoyed at never knowing the exact colors. Printed and digital computer charts are only slightly helpful. So I cut up a gazillion rectangles from .030" styrene sheet and painted every color I own. I still need to do the Alclad II paints and the transparent Tamiya. It literally took me the entire weekend. I started at 8:00 AM on Saturday and finished at 5:30 PM on Sunday. I'm really happy with how it turned out. Each rectangle is affixed with double sided tape so I can pull the paint chips of the wall and assemble a palette and compare choices.

2.jpg

Once that was done, I watched some football and glued in the wing control surfaces for the DC-3.

1.jpg

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Great googly-moogly, that's a lot of paint! Choices are nice to have - do you want white, whiter, even-more-white, more-white-than-that-and-almost-the-whitest, or whitest?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Great googly-moogly, that's a lot of paint! Choices are nice to have - do you want white, whiter, even-more-white, more-white-than-that-and-almost-the-whitest, or whitest?

And don't forget the ecru, ivory, snow, bone, antique white, and vanilla that he has next to the bottle of white. :p

TexMechsRobot

I like to build scale models. What can I say?

One thing that kills me is how paint manufacturers don't produce paint in a "rainbow" scale that matches their numbering. I know it practically impossible since they're always adding new colors. On my shelf, they're organized by the manufacturer's numbering system and not by color.

In case you're wondering, the Vallejo Model Air Metallics are crap for producing NMF. I hear their new series (Metal Color) is much much better. Alclad II is the closest you can get to looking like metal but require a ton of prep work and kill brain cells with a vengeance.

I think your white jokes (is that racist?) are stemming from the silvers reflecting differently....

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
That landing gear came out great! Wow, nice organization, I love it! Cant wait to see the DC-3 all done.

TexMechsRobot

Thanks! Unfortunately, the landing gear is fixed and not retractable. Part of me wants to buy another kit and rebuild this whole thing using the knowledge I gained from building this one and including modifications like custom retractable gear.

Maybe a project for the future.

Just remember, all planes have an expiration date. At some point you'll have the chance to rebuild it!;) The paint rack is amazing! Any chance I could lock you in my hobby room for a weekend? I wish it was more organized, but I never take the time to do it:black_eyed: