2017/2018 Balsa Build Along, SIG HOG BIPE ELECTRIC CONVERSION

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I know, but it came out really good and I'm happy with it. Most of the things that bother us no one will ever notice. And then you hit the ground and ball it all up anyway...I guess I'm still not over wrecking my T-Craft...

Pretty excited now though as I'm on the home stretch, but the wife said that is enough for tonight, so tomorrow I plane on finishing the wing and then just the ailerons are left to cover and glue on.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That looks great!! I'll be a happy camper when I can get my inside corners to come out that nice! :)

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Finally got the upper wing all covered. It looks like a big piece of candy. I ran out of checkerboard so the ailerons will be solid colors, I was going to match the checkerboard but dont think it will look bad solid.

IMG_3946.JPG

IMG_3947.JPG

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Yes, it's not perfect and lining it up was a challenge. But, I always seem to make my builds challenging...

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Sounds like a great way to expand your abilities! Lining up a pattern like this on a curved hand-made surface sounds like a challenge.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Thanks, the excitement of maiden is getting near. My wife says this plane is so nice that maybe it shouldn't be flown. That is a great compliment, but it will be flown.

My wife kept asking if I was really going to fly the 195. I told her I don't know why I wouldn't.... She couldn't understand being wiling to risk all the hours taken to build it. I told her it was built to fly, and it would be a shame to not fly it.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
My wife kept asking if I was really going to fly the 195. I told her I don't know why I wouldn't.... She couldn't understand being wiling to risk all the hours taken to build it. I told her it was built to fly, and it would be a shame to not fly it.

Darn right, they're made to fly, not to collect dust!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
All the covering is done! Just need to glue in the aileron hinging and connect the linkages, then maiden! I am not very happy with the Sullivan tail wheel assembly as is seems kind of flimsy, but I have heard the larger one has the same hole pattern so I may take a look at that. I am using the 5-12 pound version and the next size up is 10-22lbs. Oh, and I still need to paint the cowl...

IMG_3955.JPG

IMG_3957.JPG

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
So close now. Looks great with that color scheme and pattern. Of course I may be biased being a Steelers fan though.:)

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Finished the ailerons ( I ran out of checkerboard and decided to just make them all black) and epoxied in the Robart hinge pins then, after they cured for a while, installed the control linkages. It all works great and it could actually fly right now.

I still need to paint the cowl, apply decals and perform final checks with radio setups and trim settings. It's not getting wheel pants as I fly off of grass fields and they are not exactly smooth. I think the grass would just beat them up after a while and I always like the open wheel look anyway. This has been a long build thread so the next time I post a picture it will be of the Hog outside and completed.

IMG_3970.JPG
IMG_3968.JPG

Last edited:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
The hog is completed! I just need to do some preflight adjustments and ready for maiden. I also heard that if you take a trim iron to the edges of the decals it will help seal them better so I may try that. Probably maiden in a week or so when I get some time as I whitewater kayak too and it's the season right now. I will also get some better pics tomorrow outside and post them up.
IMG_3983.JPG

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I put the little piggys on backwards on the cowl, but it looks good as they run (fly) away from the prop.