2018/19 Build Sig Four Star 120

jsknockoff

Mentor
I placed my order with Sig yesterday for my build along kit. Decided on the Four Star 120, a Smith Miniplane biped may have also found it’s way into the order... Anyways, I have two planes to finish up before I start but they’re both near complete (one being last year’s build). I’m looking forward to getting back into the shop. I’ve been swamped with work this summer and haven’t even been able to pick up a transmitter yet this season. The commercial mowing business has been booming here in southern PA with all the rain.

The goal for this Four Star is to build it stock to the the plans with the possible addition of a tow setup for sailplanes. I’m going to use a Saito FG 21 for power unless I’m convinced otherwise.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
It really looks like a lot of people will be participating this year, very exciting!

Absolutely! :D

Still not sure what I'm going to enter with, but there will certainly be balsa dust in my shop this fall :D

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
It's fall Rockboy...start making some dust!

I'm about to start making spackle & filler dust, but I can't see clear space on my workbench under the fiberglass curing on my current project to open up a balsa kit this week :cry:

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I usually like to do two projects at the same time but this monster FW42 has taken over all the workspace

Mode 1

Just the name of that kit brings me back to my childhood. My father had a four star 40 and I loved flying that plane.
Enjoy the build!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Yeah, what's wrong with multiple projects at the same time?
I'm not sure my wife would like two build tables going on at the same time, but I do have a Twisted Hobbies 39" Crack Yak-55 to build so I can start my 3d training...while I'm building the Extra 300 balsa...

BTW [U]jsknockoff[/U], that FG21 is going to be sweet in your build!

jsknockoff

Mentor
Just the name of that kit brings me back to my childhood. My father had a four star 40 and I loved flying that plane.
Enjoy the build!

I think I like the Four Stars for the same reason. My dad built me one as a kid and he had one too. This will be my first 120 size.

jsknockoff

Mentor
I'm not sure my wife would like two build tables going on at the same time, but I do have a Twisted Hobbies 39" Crack Yak-55 to build so I can start my 3d training...while I'm building the Extra 300 balsa...

BTW [U]jsknockoff[/U], that FG21 is going to be sweet in your build!

I’m really excited to try out the gas Saito. I’ve seen mixed reviews but I’m sure it’s a lot of user error from the sounds of it.

My order came by FedEx from SIG earlier this week and I finally had a chance to unroll the plans on the 120. It’s a little bigger than I imagined! I’m having a tough time deciding on a color scheme for this one. My 40 size, when finished, will be dark purple with the stock decals. I’m thinking of doing something a little different on this one, possibly a navy trainer white and orange.