2018-2019 Winter Build List, What's yours?

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
We here in the US march steadily toward daylight savings time. It's the period of the year where many of us go to work and come home in complete dark. As RC enthusiasts (read: addicts), this tends to be the time we relegate to the flying hibernation/ building period of the year.
I want to know what's your 2018-2019 build list?
game-of-thrones-wall.png

I grew up in New England and have no quams about flying in cold weather, however it is impossible to fly after work. so I see it as an opportunity to hunker down and finish the projects pushed off by summer flying, and time to tackle the inspirational projects.
Here's FoamyDM's List:
Scratch Projects to complete:
  • Kalinin K-12 - Maiden
  • LPL Ushakov Flying Submarine - Document and fine tune the flight
  • VF-9 Robotech Veritech Fighter 9 - Complete the maiden and work on the swiveling thrust tubes. (also install the dual 70mm EDFs, coming)
  • FT - Mighty Mini spitfire I started.. (oops, like I need More)
  • FT - Simple Soarer - Pretty-up my re-built version after the Lost model.
  • Lincoln Sport - Add Electronics, Maiden and Color.
  • FoamyDM StarFox Plane (SF-X1) - Re-maiden as part of the 2018 Fantasy build Challenge
  • Logan X-Stream 6 - Prototype of Rubber-chuck Glider turned into RC for my youngest
  • Heavens Spade Carrier (with pop-wing glider) - Get a Prototype build
  • Diamond or Dat Raptor or flying Pirate Ship - to Build as a home for the 90mm EDF, 80A ESC, and 6S battery.
  • FT- Blunt Nose Versa Wing - Finding the proper CG for my not-right build.
  • FT-Viggen - build a NUMBER of Noses, or Just rebuild. (64mm version)
  • Dragon Plane - rebuild @ A-scale dragon plane and fly
  • Make progress on the Dragonfly project.
Kits
  • Plus I have a MotionRC plane: Freewing Lippisch P.15 64mm EDF Jet - setting control ups then fly.
  • A-10 aliexpress twin 50mm EDF version. (figuring out ways to paint before I start.) - Building and flying
  • Reptile S800 Sky Shadow - Solder-up replacement PDB to FC and figure out why the Servo twitch and fly (goal was to have it for the Kids)
  • two Balsa Kits purchased at my field for a steal. One, EDF, one trainer
The first couple of these planes mentioned here are in THIS POST with pictures All this in 4 months-ish?
maybe! :unsure:

jaredstrees

Wow, that's a list! I only have a few I know I want to build.

FT-Viggen
Versa Wing
das little stick, at about 50%
FT-Bronco (kit bought at Flite Fest south last year. Still wrapped up)
Ft-Goblin (mine flies great, now I know it works I need to make a nice one with better fit and finish)
das little stick (mine has over 200 flights. It is still going strong, but won't last forever.)

I'm sure many more will crop up, but those are on the top of my list. Course, if I wanted to be unrealistic I could come up with dozens!

JTarmstr

Elite member
My list is fairly short:

JTD Jackal

Xf Viper (F-16)

B-26

Ft Simple scout with bombs and flaps.

Ft Edge 540

basslord1124

Master member
I've got a short list too, not sure how much of this will get completed but we shall see...

-Galaxy glider - in the event I don't finish it before then
-FT Edge
-FT Goblin
-Long-Ez
- <insert balsa kit here> - guy at our RC field can no longer build due to age and health reasons, so I am going to buy a kit or 2 off of him. Never tried balsa kit building so thought I can get a start on one.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
We here in the US march steadily toward daylight savings time. It's the period of the year where many of us go to work and come home in complete dark. As RC enthusiasts (read: addicts), this tends to be the time we relegate to the flying hibernation/ building period of the year.
I want to know what's your 2018-2019 build list?
game-of-thrones-wall.png

I grew up in New England and have no quams about flying in cold weather, however it is impossible to fly after work. so I see it as an opportunity to hunker down and finish the projects pushed off by summer flying, and time to tackle the inspirational projects.
Here's FoamyDM's List:
Scratch Projects to complete:
  • Kalinin K-12 - Maiden
  • LPL Ushakov Flying Submarine - Document and fine tune the flight
  • VF-9 Robotech Veritech Fighter 9 - Complete the maiden and work on the swiveling thrust tubes. (also install the dual 70mm EDFs, coming)
  • FT - Mighty Mini spitfire I started.. (oops, like I need More)
  • FT - Simple Soarer - Pretty-up my re-built version after the Lost model.
  • Lincoln Sport - Add Electronics, Maiden and Color.
  • FoamyDM StarFox Plane (SF-X1) - Re-maiden as part of the 2018 Fantasy build Challenge
  • Logan X-Stream 6 - Prototype of Rubber-chuck Glider turned into RC for my youngest
  • Heavens Spade Carrier (with pop-wing glider) - Get a Prototype build
  • Diamond or Dat Raptor or flying Pirate Ship - to Build as a home for the 90mm EDF, 80A ESC, and 6S battery.
  • FT- Blunt Nose Versa Wing - Finding the proper CG for my not-right build.
  • FT-Viggen - build a NUMBER of Noses, or Just rebuild. (64mm version)
  • Dragon Plane - rebuild @ A-scale dragon plane and fly
  • Make progress on the Dragonfly project.
Kits
  • Plus I have a MotionRC plane: Freewing Lippisch P.15 64mm EDF Jet - setting control ups then fly.
  • A-10 aliexpress twin 50mm EDF version. (figuring out ways to paint before I start.) - Building and flying
  • Reptile S800 Sky Shadow - Solder-up replacement PDB to FC and figure out why the Servo twitch and fly (goal was to have it for the Kids)
  • two Balsa Kits purchased at my field for a steal. One, EDF, one trainer
The first couple of these planes mentioned here are in THIS POST with pictures All this in 4 months-ish?
maybe! :unsure:

Man - winters must be long in NC. Hope you are safe and dry!

DamoRC

kilroy07

Legendary member
I've been chipping away on my list, but here's what I expect to still be working on in a couple months;

- Swordfish 2 (my entry https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...aft-design-build-challenge.54679/#post-429594)
- A B-36 (for the rest of us) based on the $10 foam glider
- A Twin motor variant of the $10 foam glider
- Ben's F-4 in Vietnam colors (USAF camo)
- Sea Duck
-My "Black" project

And (I expect) a P-40 if FT gets around to releasing it.

In my immediate future is Namactual's Rhino, a 200% Sparrow and a Edge.

Ah, if only I were retired!!

JTarmstr

Elite member
I've been chipping away on my list, but here's what I expect to still be working on in a couple months;

- Swordfish 2 (my entry https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...aft-design-build-challenge.54679/#post-429594)
- A B-36 (for the rest of us) based on the $10 foam glider
- A Twin motor variant of the $10 foam glider
- Ben's F-4 in Vietnam colors (USAF camo)
- Sea Duck
-My "Black" project

And (I expect) a P-40 if FT gets around to releasing it.

In my immediate future is Namactual's Rhino, a 200% Sparrow and a Edge.

Ah, if only I were retired!!

The P-40 was in their trashplane vid, I hope its the next one up for release, I really want a flying tiger.

Last edited:

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Here in TX, the flying weather is actually better in the winter, but I’ve still got a long list of projects I’m trying to get finished in the next few months (ok, probably year+, but I can try..)

Airplanes:
LX 2.0m B-25 Refinished with aluminum tape skin
Hangar 9 F4U-1A 20CC Corsair
Freewing 80mm F-86 rebuild with speed brakes and aluminum skin
Weathering/Painting Freewing A-10
XC-142 Tilt Wing VTOL
Fiberglass 90mm F-106 kit

Helicopters:
450 size Sikorsky HO-3S (H-5)
500 size AH-64 Apache rebuild
500 size H-34 Choctaw
600 size OH-58A Kiowa
600 size Bell 222 4 blade rotor demonstrator
670 size HH-65 Dolphin
700 size AH-1W Super Cobra

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Some awesome and ambitious plans in here! :D

Personally, I've only got three build goals for the next season...

- finish the Monster FW-42 I started last summer
- something for the Fall Balsa Build Along
- rebuild my FT Simple Scout (along with cutting a couple blank kits for local friends)

... and a potential #4 - something wacky for the Fantasy Build - but I've got to get the spark (and time) to finish current commitments first. :cool:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I've got a few.

1. Rebuild my Carbon Z Cessna 150 into the 152 that I got my license in (N4655H)
2. Another F-16, this one painted up as the Madison based National Air Guard F-16s
3. Build a foam filled super fast spear with 3 kilowatts of power :cool:
4. If I have time or money left, an A-10

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
- <insert balsa kit here> - guy at our RC field can no longer build due to age and health reasons, so I am going to buy a kit or 2 off of him. Never tried balsa kit building so thought I can get a start on one.

I'm in a similar boat on balsa for the same reason, I will be watching your journey.

@DamoRC - Daylight savings is Nov 4th... I thought it was in early Oct. either way. It can't hurt to get it lined up.

My list is
Rebuilding a Durafly Sky Mule
Ft Edge 540
Do some maintenance on a well loved Parkzone Corsair
Try to build a skinned ft warbird
Maybe convert a balsa free flight plane to RC (just did this with a Walmart glider and it worked great!)
Any other ft planes I feel like building!;)

basslord1124

Master member
I'm in a similar boat on balsa for the same reason, I will be watching your journey.

@DamoRC - Daylight savings is Nov 4th... I thought it was in early Oct. either way. It can't hurt to get it lined up.

Thanks FoamyDM. I'll be posting my journey over in the Balsa Builders forum and probably sharing some highlights on my youtube channel. Good luck with your journey and I'll be watching too.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
My list never ends but seems to migrate and modify from season to season.

The current list stands at follows:
1) Signature build: Hangar 9 P-47D razorback BARF build Sponsored by Horizon Hobby. Lots of details and aluminum covering.
2) Finish the DARE Design and Engineering FW-190; an old-style ARF that is plenty qualified to be a build.
3) Top Flite Golden Edition P-51 Mustang.
1-4) Somewhere mixed in here I do still want to build Ben Harber's F-16. I have the equipment but I want to build it up using glass so that it will last longer than 3 flights in my climate.

I will also be taking delivery of the FT ParkZone Night Radian. That should be fun. The list is longer but I'm still enjoying my current balsa endeavors.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
FT kits to finish:
Founders plane
Bens f-16 (midway thru that right now)

Kits:
RA Cores Gremlin
1536945736361.png

Sig Ninja
1536945767633.png

Blejzyk Elf 1.5m
1536945888946.png

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Those Elfs are nice. I was drooling over one not to long ago. Just don't have a place to fly it.
I got to fly with the owner of aloft hobbies and was talking to him about which of those style of plane he recommended for starting out and that was the one he said i should get for higher wind slope sites.