2018/2109 Balsa build along Radical RC mini stick

Turbojoe

Elite member
Looking good. I had some wing fitment issues with both of mine too but it was so long ago I don't remember what I sanded to get a perfect fit. I know it didn't take much. I'm pretty sure it was the forward wing saddle L.E. area. I'm always hesitant to take anything away from the wing itself.

Joe

jaredstrees

I'll keep that in mind and do a close inspection before I sand anything. From looking at it last night, the wing is all the way forward, LE resting in the notch. looks like the saddle curve is correct, but the TE of the wing is resting about 1/16 of itself where the rear former is. I thought I had glued that in straight, so will have to check that it isn't angled forward just a hair.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Yep. I would definitely make sure the incidence is correct. On something this small and fast it will be critical. Don't want to be fighting trim at varying speeds.

Joe

jaredstrees

Just took a closer look. It actually appears my sloppy epoxy job on the magnets is to blame. There is a tiny little drop that looks like it is keeping the wing from seating.

And I should only pull about 50 watts on a 4” prop, so she should be quick, but hopefully controllable!

jaredstrees

Tinkering with the mini, and had a couple thoughts. One is I think I may forgo the rudder. I don’t have one on my dad little stick, mini Corsair, or many small planes. Should be a weight savings without much penalty. I’ll put a rudder on it’s big brother.

The landing gear bothers me. How much is belly landing this light a model in grass going to hurt the covering? I generally just don’t like belly landing period but this thing is so small I’m not sure if the gear is going to do me any good.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'd say your instincts are right - ditch the landing gear and the rudder to save the weight. Either do a double layer of covering on the bottom, or a layer of thin clear packing tape over the forward part of the bottom fuselage to toughen up the covering. I have a Solite covered flying boat that belly lands with a double covering layer and it's been fine - but it's also a solid sheeting construction on the bottom too.

jaredstrees

I’ve got some thin balsa I can put On the bottom to stiffen that up, but not sure she’ll need it. Hmmmmm. Ok. Food for thought. Sounds like double covering on the bottom may be the best way to go.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I don't have rudder or gear on mine. It's so light that as soon as it hits the grass it just stops. As I was stripping the covering mine Wednesday I was surprised at the lack of any covering damage on the underside. I'm sure there are well over 50 landings on that bird. As long as you land on grass and not weeds you will be OK. As Rockyboy suggested a layer of clear packing tape would still be good insurance though.

Joe

jaredstrees

Alright! Covering came in yesterday. Made some good progress. Sorry about the lack of picks, got going and forgot to stop and snap more. I'll get some tonight. Using parklite on this one. It's certainly different than using solite. I can see the advantages to both, but both have a few things I'm not crazy about either. I had a little trouble with the wing tips, got a few wrinkles, but I believe I can get those to pull out. If not I have an idea that should work, it would just be more work. I should have the rest of the covering finished up tonight, then it's just a few decals and she's ready for maiden! The only items left after the covering is gluing the stabs to the fuse and taping the hinges. Hope to have some completed (without decals) pics tomorrow.

starting the covering:

MINICOVERING1.JPG

Turbojoe

Elite member
You're almost there! Kinda hard to tell from the picture. Is that cream color or white? I have a little Solite left ,some Microlight and a bunch of Ultracote. I'd have to do some digging to see if there is any Parklite. I really need to pull all of my covering out and organize it. Also need to sell off all the Monokote and Econokote. I'm long removed from glow power and will never use the heavyweight stuff. eBay here it comes.

It's only Tuesday. Plenty of time to finish and do that maiden this weekend! No pressure....... :)

Joe

jaredstrees

No pressure at all! And it is white on the bottom. Wing is done, managed to get 98% of the wrinkles out. Those wing tips gave me a little trouble. I've only used solite, seems to me it goes on corners and such a little easier than this parklite. Although, I do LOVE that the parklite doesn't stick to itself like the solite. Also finished the tail feathers. Did not get the fuse done, wife had some chores she wanted done, but the fuse will be done tonight. Electronics have all been fitted and tested, so aside from the decal she will hopefully be finished this evening. Covering the fuse should take all of 15 minutes. Tail isn't glued on yet, pics are just for show!

almostdone1.JPG almostdone2.JPG
Recently we borrowed the mother in law's cricut. Haven't gotten to play with this much yet, but so far I love what it will be able to add to my builds. I'm not giving this back, and if she wants it back I'm buying one! This would have taken me hours to cut out, but with this thing it took 5 minutes. And yes, it will cut covering!

cricut1.JPG circut2.JPG

So we have some white stars for the top right wing and some red stars for the bottom right wing. The fuse will get a little décor as well, just not sure exactly what yet. Won't keep her from flying, though!

Turbojoe

Elite member
Looking good. You'll definitely be able to tell which side is up!

I've always wondered about that Cricut. It'll be interesting to hear and see what you can do with it for R/C.

Joe

jaredstrees

I hope it means adding tail art, numbers, letters, symbols etc will be much easier. The first test was could it cut covering without tearing it and that has been confirmed. I plan on putting those stars on tonight if I get the time. Hopefully that will go smooth. I'll keep you posted!

Turbojoe

Elite member
My daughter's 3D printer has been here since Friday and I haven't had a chance to build it. She's looking hard into buying a nice laser cutter too. (I'm pushing her for a bed that can handle 24" sheets of balsa for kit cutting (y)) Hey, maybe she needs a Cricut as well. :sneaky: All of this equipment will be based at my house and she will send me files to process for her business and I'll do the print/cut work. I could also cut a few airplane kits and decals in the down time......

Joe

jaredstrees

Man, I'd love to have a laser cutter. Not sure what I'd do without my 3D printer anymore, either! Lucky guy!

jaredstrees

Am I really? I gotta learn how to work all these newfangled gadgets! This dusty ole noggin ain't what it was when I was younger... :LOL:

Joe
LOL! Trust me, not easy for me either! Usually something I've learned has to go to accommodate the new!

Turbojoe

Elite member
Yep! FIFO. First In First Out. That's the way my noggin works too. Problem is at my age I've forgotten more that I ever knew! I'm now operating in a deficit. ;)

Joe

TooJung2Die

Master member
I just got a Cricut for my birthday this week. I knew it was good for cutting designs in self-stick vinyl. Now I know it can handle covering film too it'll be getting even more use this winter. My airplanes are gonna get all fancy! Like you guys there is going to be that learning curve first.
jon

jaredstrees

I just got a Cricut for my birthday this week. I knew it was good for cutting designs in self-stick vinyl. Now I know it can handle covering film too it'll be getting even more use this winter. My airplanes are gonna get all fancy! Like you guys there is going to be that learning curve first.
jon
Yep, so far I've found that you want to cut the smallest piece of covering you'll need. At least on the parklite, trying to get the covering off the mat resulted in some of the backing coming of. If you use a larger than needed piece I'm afraid you would waste whatever is left. Results may vary on different brands/weights. It cut the solartrim I had really well, very little of that backing came off. Also, make sure you use lighter pressure or it will tear. But preliminary results are exciting. I really didn't want to use heavy vinyl on this little guy, but I have done vinyl on a viggen I just built. It came out pretty well, but much simpler than all those stars.

viggen1.JPG viggen2.JPG