2018/2109 Balsa build along Radical RC mini stick

jaredstrees

Progress! Fuse is done, in fact, all the covering is done. There is a little twist to the horizontal stabilizer I need to address, otherwise she came out well. I did not actually adhere those stars yet, they were arranged for a show pic and to determine how I wanted to lay them out. All I have left covering wise is the stars top and bottom, a little decal for the sides and vertical stab. None of that will keep here from flying. Pushrods were run after the pics were taken, so the only thing keeping her from her maiden is the twist in the horizontal stab. I've got a couple ideas on how I can fix it, if anyone has any input I'd be happy to consider it. Worst comes to worst I can cut a fresh one, pretty simple stab.

mini95%1.JPG mini95%2.JPG

TooJung2Die

Master member
twist in the horizontal stab. I've got a couple ideas on how I can fix it, if anyone has any input I'd be happy to consider it.

I use a heat gun to take out twist in flying surfaces. Twist the part in the direction you want and apply heat until the wrinkles smooth out. In a few seconds the film cools and holds the new shape. Heat gun works great taking twist out of the balsa before covering too. Wet the area a bit with a spray bottle, twist and apply the heat until it is dry. I just saw heat guns on sale at Harbor Fright for under $10. (pun intended) ;)

jaredstrees

I have one and tried that, Seemed to warp it more. Wrinkles are gone, but there is still a slight twist. I may give that another try holding it in the shape I want.

jaredstrees

She's done! I'm going to add some stars to the starboard horizontal stab, she'll get some vertical stab markings and I'm going to do something on the fuse sides as well. Still tossing some ideas around in my head for the vert. stab and fuse, but none of that will keep her from a maiden this weekend. The weather might, but if it stops raining she's going up. Managed to get the warping out of the horizontal stab as well. Really easy plane to put together if you've got any building experience you can build this one!

MINIDONE1.JPG MINIDONE2.JPG MINIDONE3.JPG

She's got a powerup 250 size 2200kv spinning a 4.5x4.1 prop. 12A esc, 500 to 850mah 3s batteries, yank and bank style. Didn't weigh her last night, will do so this weekend. I'll report on her maiden this weekend!

jaredstrees

Well, youtube failed to upload the video. I'll try again, but we shall see. I hate youtube and wish there was a better way to upload videos straight to the forums.

jaredstrees

Here's the maiden as promised.I've got about a dozen flights on her now and she is a sweet little flier. This thing will go at a walking pace and then be doing 50 in seconds. She glides forever, and I can tell that when I back off some expo she'll be snappy as well. She does get small fast!

All up weight is 6.9oz, so within range of the build specs at 5-7 oz. And that's with a 850mah 3s. She'll really be a floater when I put a 500 in there.

Very pleased with this one, needed something small to travel with and this looks to be the ticket.

Not all that interesting of a video (and sorry about the quality, all I had was a keychain cam on my hat), but enjoy nonetheless.

Looks fast! I was worried on that first pass; it looked like you were going to hit the back stop! That would have made some neat balsa and covering confetti!!

Nice work!

jaredstrees

Thanks! And fast she can be. I’ve been flying at that field for a couple years and have only hit that backstop once. Fortunately that was with an arrow and not something a little more involved.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I couldn't let you have all the fun! I pulled mine back out again and did a bit of sanding to remove the color left behind by the old covering. I also started thinking about how good this bird would probably fly with the brushless AS3X package from the UMX Pitts that I bought on eBay way back when. We got a 3D printer a while back and I'm finally getting better with TinkerCad so I designed a firewall mount and printed it out. It'll work perfect! I might design and print some UMX aileron servo mounts as well. There are some calibration issues with the 3D printer but if I can get some good info from the Ender 3 forum for setup I'll get hot making parts and finishing up the upgraded Mini-Stick.

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Well I got the motor mounted, built a motor cowl and got the fuse covered with HK bright silver covering. Will likely do the tail feathers in red. Not sure what color I'll cover the wing with. Using the UMX gear will require aileron servo extensions. I know they're out there. I just can't find them! The lack of extensions have brought an abrupt halt to progress. I need to know how much slack they'll provide so I can decide on the aileron servo mount points in the wing. I'm dead in the water until I can get some. No big deal. I have lots of other projects to finish in the mean time.

Joe

jaredstrees

Oh Sweet! Can't wait to see what you do with this bird. I'm still having a blast flying her. Fast, slow, inverted, does it all.