2018 Flite Test Forum Challenge: WWII Design & Build

MrFowl

Oooo... The Pond Racer just took my #2 build spot. Can't compete here with it, but that is one cool looking plane. I'm pretty busy, so one is pretty much all I can handle.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Question is: Does it need to sink to be considered

I keep pushing my mind around this LPL Flying Sub. I love the look of it. like a flying Manta Ray

I also keep thinking about this plane's design challenges. If I build it I'll want to make it easy to build yet sinkable.

The Numbers... How feasible *is* this... (thank you all for the notes about sinking systems, and the note about signal loss.)
I'm going to use metric here as volume/weight/displacement is VERY easy in metric.

Displacement: 534g
Each foam board displaces 36g of water. My initial design is 4 sheets. (a c-size will take 8 at least)
I will assume the entire plane floods except the cockpit area I would have a watertight container in there.
The size is roughly 6.5x12x5cm or 390 ccm so that means the plane must weigh 534g. (1.2 lbs) for a 3 (4) engine Plane.

Weight: 355 - 560(ish)
5 -9g servos - 45g
4 - 40g motor setups (2205 with 30a ESCs and 5" prop, producing around 1.8kg thrust (for 3 engines)) 120g
8 channel receiver or FC - 10g
4S 1500 - 3500maH battery - 188 - 385g

So I see this as a matter of playing with the WT capsule size VS. Battery or foam load-out. to get things to balance when the plane floods.

Wing loading is 19oz./1.57sf or 12oz.sf That's between glider and a trainer. Add two torpedoes, and now we're talking!

I put an A-size Plan set together.
Alpa Plan Set LPLFS.JPG
I plan on building/testing it this week. *should've* cut it out last night. I realized soldering connectors on, and getting the Kalinin K-12 ready for a weekend test is time better spent (for now).

I have reached out to *the* Bob Martin IE www.RC-SUB.com and on Youtube he's RCSubGuy. This guy has a true passion and talent for submarines. He estimates a larger amount than I have to build this as a submerging vessel. (while I'm still trying to see what I can do to mitigate the Costs.) His sites, encouragement knowledge and thorough videos, should help me know how we can manage this. While a bit discouraged by the cost, I think I could set limitations of the vessel and get away with a less costly setup... but I'm not sure.

I think I can get a flying/floating model with plans and article/vid by year end. Just not sure about getting to Full-Montey completed by then.

Question is: If I add this craft, to the List of Projects - does it need to Sink to be considered?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
@Airkooled - Welcome aboard!!

@FoamyDM - Heck no it doesn't have to sink to be considered - just fly! Even floating is a bonus! :)

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Well consider it in... I'll write it up tomorrow. (And order parts). I have half of it cut out. I'll stop high-jacking this thread now.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Well consider it in... I'll write it up tomorrow. (And order parts). I have half of it cut out. I'll stop high-jacking this thread now.

Awesome!! :applause:

Just drop a message here when you start the build thread so I don't miss it please. :)

RedOak84

There are a lot if exotic entries. I think I will go with a classic. Ju-87 with dive brakes. Nothing like intentionally diving your rc plane toward the ground.

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Hey guys!

I want to start a project, too.:)

The Lippisch P13a for team Luftwaffe:

2a30eb5d35f12246b092a0195aa1014a.jpg lippisch-p13-3-seiten.jpg

I`m planing to start this project after 8th of August.
I want to build it with the Sea Duck powerpod in the front, which has Dymond GTX motors and Multiplex ESCs on it, because the FT powerpack C was not available in Germany.

Is it ok to use this components, because I just have Sea Duck powerpods?

I`d like to start a threat soon!:)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Hey guys!

I want to start a project, too.:)

The Lippisch P13a for team Luftwaffe:

I`m planing to start this project after 8th of August.
I want to build it with the Sea Duck powerpod in the front, which has Dymond GTX motors and Multiplex ESCs on it, because the FT powerpack C was not available in Germany.

Is it ok to use this components, because I just have Sea Duck powerpods?

I`d like to start a threat soon!:)

That looks pretty wacky and cool! Welcome to the challenge, and welcome to the forums too! :applause:

That's just fine for the motors - the idea with the power pack guideline is just to make it easier for other builders to make your design with an easy to find motor - so as long as you're choosing a motor that's similar in power and works where an FT C pack would work, you're doing exactly what was hoped for! :)

Feel free to start up your build thread and leave a link to it here as soon as you like - no need to actually start designing to start thinking about how it's going to be done and sharing your research and planning. You'll notice that quite a few build threads start like that, including more than a few of mine :p