2018 Flite Test Forum Challenge: WWII Design & Build

AircPirateTomadai

airc-pirates.com
Allied Forces of FliteTest Logo

Hi all

based on the great response for the Luftwaffe-Gremlin by this community I decided to create a Logo for the Allies too, but I had no idea for its look by myself.

I liked BridgeConstructor's idea and logo-versions with their change proposals very much and simply recreated it by adding some own thoughts and finally ended up trying to give it a clean, symetric appearance to create a sort of straight military look. I replaced the black color of BridgeConstructor's logo-versions with a blue, that looks similiar the US Navy used for its Planes in the pacific war, too to give it a little more US/UK/FR appearance and to get away from the red/white/black color sheme, known from the German Flag of this time. To include the russians it tried to put in some red stars but they did not fit anywhere. This ended up in simply putting some white stars in the outer red bars.

Now here is my version of BridgeConstructor's awesome idea:

Allied_Forces_of_FliteTest_FTFC18_1k.png

Regards

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Wow, I like how the theme is building. Will we be having some competitions similar to actual events? We might want a script for the narrator.

Josh, are you still considering carrier landings? If so I'm game. If not the tailhook is coming nevertheless.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
The Timed Invasion: A coordinated flight will occur with all participating models to flood the skies with all models, operating at the edge of their speed envelope. To simulate a mission cycle, aircraft will take off as simultaneously as is safe and feasible, and land following a 5 minute flight. Randomly assigned spotters for each aircraft will time the flight from takeoff to landing, and closest time to exactly 5 minutes wins.

The Bombing: A simulated bombing run with all aircraft capable of dropping a payload (or ejecting their pilot). All dropped items must follow AMA restrictions, and be clearly marked for identification purposes. Payloads controlled or dropped by a team members other than the primary pilot gain a 1 meter advantage. Closest (adjusted) payload to the target wins.

Rule clarification sought please: Touchdown stops the clock right? A touch-n-go would be good yes?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I was thinking more like aircraft starts moving to aircraft stops moving. Like a nose dive in might help you time it perfectly :p But I'll ask around to some of the Contest Directors at my club and see what is the standard stance taken on this before I start creating my own interpretation here. Answers back to ya'll soon.

BridgeInspector & AircPirateTomadi - wow. Just wow. I am blown away by the awesome designs you guys created, and how it all came together. Love it!! :applause:

Last edited:

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I was thinking more like aircraft starts moving to aircraft stops moving. Like a nose dive in might help you time it perfectly :p But I'll ask around to some of the Contest Directors at my club and see what is the standard stance taken on this before I start creating my own interpretation here. Answers back to ya'll soon.

One option is to adopt a version of the glider spot landing. In that arena the "crash and go" in precision is (at least used to be) perfectly legal. Perhaps incorporate the arresting wire into the spot landing..... hehe......plus style points.

Last edited:

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Since we have teams, a team ribbon fight could be fun (or even full contact but I doubt too much peoples will want to sacrifice their airplanes)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'm confused - I thought all flying at Flite Fest is full contact? Or have I been doing it wrong? :p

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
When a flight time is the goal I think we should go from takeoff to touch down and reequiring the touch down to come to a full stop making a touch and go a no-go.

I don't like touch and go's beause they take less effort than a land with a full stop. I like even less the aircraft moving timing as that could be controlled by merely taxiing around.

I think the ribbon battle is a good call. I intend to have our project aircraft for show and another one altogether for the airborne full contact battles.

Last edited:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Well, I guess the Ohka can have the gold then. Landings are super easy as they were never designed to land... only explode. I'll give the carrier idea some thought. Need to figure out a real way to get some tension on a line so arrest the plane... not rip the backside off entirely.

Erospace

Well, I guess the Ohka can have the gold then. Landings are super easy as they were never designed to land... only explode. I'll give the carrier idea some thought. Need to figure out a real way to get some tension on a line so arrest the plane... not rip the backside off entirely.

I've heard that at some Air Force bases they have emergency arrest cables at the end of the runway. Some of them consist of a cable held above the runway by rubber discs with a length of heavy naval chain on each end of the cable as dead weight. Seems like it would be easy enough to set up something similar.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose

LOL. Not so easy. The hard part is hearing the count down and trying to be where you need to be on time and in time.

If you get a chance to go to Academy or another store with fishing gear, check out the yo yo. Also, the Nats still have the control-line carrier event. They have a system.

Last edited: