2018 Flite Test Forum Challenge: WWII Design & Build

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Absolutely!! New entries are OK right up until December 31st when the scoring period starts.

So pick a plane and come on in! :)

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I don't see anyone selecting the XF-Goblin
1200px-McDonnell_XF-85_Goblin_USAF_%28Cropped%29.jpg

or the Kalinin K-12
k-12c.jpg

I will put my bid in for the Kalinin K-12.

FoamyDM
Kalinin K-12
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?36322-FTFC-18-WWII-Kalinin-K-12&p=361501#post361501

Wiki link

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I think a lot of people shy away from rounder fuselages with the foam. Its hard to make an egg shape like the Goblin Let alone make it fly as stubby as it is. That is more then likely just dragged thru the air with shear engine power rather then actually flown which also takea a high level of piloting skill to do.

HilldaFlyer

I don't see anyone selecting the XF-Goblin
1200px-McDonnell_XF-85_Goblin_USAF_%28Cropped%29.jpg

That's cause the Goblin don't fly... it falls with style, though - maybe???

I want to take up a collection to entice someone to attempt the Goblin. If it sustains flight... take the cash prize.

Namactual

Elite member
I'll take a stab at it when my plate is empty. Not for the prize challenge. Just to see if I could do it.

I have a few 64mm's laying about I don't plan on using for anything and the foam is cheap. The expensive part will be the time.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
That's cause the Goblin don't fly... it falls with style, though - maybe???

I want to take up a collection to entice someone to attempt the Goblin. If it sustains flight... take the cash prize.

I'd bet you could make the geometry work if you up sized the verticals by 20%ish.. The biggest problem that I see is where to put things. Once you add a fan, there wouldn't be much space left for a battery/ESC/RX. A gyro to help out the close coupled design probably would be a good idea as well.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
EDF's are cool and all, but I think the XF-Goblin is just begging to have an Estes G sized rocket motor jammed in it :cool:

MrFowl

Oooo! I'm in for the goblin! I've never participated in one of these before, but I'll see if I can do it. I won't be able to make it to FliteFest though, I'm down in FL.

The goblin is one of my favorite planes. I already have a cad model half way finished from a while ago when I wanted to build it ...maybe I'll start working on that again. Are 3D printed parts off limits? I don't have an EDF (except umx Habu... which is way too small), will probably end up as a pusher :(

I also have a Baby Bugatti mostly done with a partial round fuselage (front section only). Experience from that should help.

Side note: I'm pretty sure the goblin was a flying wing. There weren't any control surfaces used for elevator on the tail. The first itiration had a smaller rudder I believe as well.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Oooo! I'm in for the goblin! I've never participated in one of these before, but I'll see if I can do it. I won't be able to make it to FliteFest though, I'm down in FL.

The goblin is one of my favorite planes. I already have a cad model half way finished from a while ago when I wanted to build it ...maybe I'll start working on that again. Are 3D printed parts off limits? I don't have an EDF (except umx Habu... which is way too small), will probably end up as a pusher :(

I also have a Baby Bugatti mostly done with a partial round fuselage (front section only). Experience from that should help.

Side note: I'm pretty sure the goblin was a flying wing. There weren't any control surfaces used for elevator on the tail. The first itiration had a smaller rudder I believe as well.

Welcome aboard!!

3D parts are certainly not off limits - just make sure to share all the parts files/designs/instructions so others can make your model too

Please do start a build thread and link to it back here so we can all cheer you on!

MrFowl

Welcome aboard!!

3D parts are certainly not off limits - just make sure to share all the parts files/designs/instructions so others can make your model too

Please do start a build thread and link to it back here so we can all cheer you on!

The thread is up! I hope I put it in the right place....
The XF-85 Goblin, by McDonnell Aircraft Corp. "The smallest jet-propelled fighter ever built"!
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...-designed-by-MrFowl-(Eli)&p=361631#post361631

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
I've decided to let my Do-635 project fade into forgetfulness and jump in with my idea of the coolest project ever. Yes, that's right, four airplanes in one! The Daimler Benz Projekt B!

FAI-F1D and Craftydan
Daimler Benz Project B (plus some extras)
Build Thread

DBProjectBFrontAngle.jpg

Last edited:

Michael9865

Elite member
Ambitious undertaking and definitely an outside the box design. Wow this years build off is going to be epic with all these unique designs emerging from the fog of history.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'm very excited about all the participation and great designs people are bringing to life! Team Rockyboy is making good progress - or rather, I sent some CAD files to the rest of the team who are finding and fixing my mistakes :p

I'm going to be going quiet for a while on the forums though - family holiday - but I'll be back and active again near the end of August. In the mean time, if you'd like to join in the challenge please do so! Post your entries here and I'll get them added to the record as soon as I'm back online.

Build on my friends! :applause: