2018 Flite Test Forum Challenge: WWII Design & Build

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Here is a hint on the plane that I am thinking of B84F6D43-2D51-494A-8FDC-04470BF2C262.jpeg

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Actually, we are getting electronics on hobbyking soon and I am pretty sure that it is power pack C equivalent because it was used on the original spitfire and baby blender. C twin that is. By the way, does anybody know what battery comes with the C pack, and also, do I have to use the same thing for the challenge.

weird... power pack C isnt on the store so i cant check the battery... well i know that pack B is a 2200 3s so that would probably work. i use a 1000 3s with my power pack b so if 2200 is smaller it should still work just fine.

edit: correction. i dont know if this is the right one but when i searched "power pack c" on the store it came up with a 1300mah 4s 80c lipo. wow thats an expensive battery!

Last edited:

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
edit: correction. i dont know if this is the right one but when i searched "power pack c" on the store it came up with a 1300mah 4s 80c lipo. wow thats an expensive battery!
I should probably just go with a 3s 2200, on hobbyking they are about $10 so I would be able to get a lot more or I could go for the option of just saving money and buying less.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I know what you are thinking DamoRc and yes, you do know me, my dad brings me to baylands park to fly.

Thought so :D

It was the 4S mini mustang that triggered my curiosity.

The 2200 3S from HK for $10-ish will be a good pick for your plane.

DamoRC

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
I should probably just go with a 3s 2200, on hobbyking they are about $10 so I would be able to get a lot more or I could go for the option of just saving money and buying less.

that sounds good. warning: turnigy nanotech i would avoid. i got 2 turnigy nanotech 1000 3s lipos and one had a bad cell.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
How about a trading card collection of the FTFC'18 WWII models?
Simply for presentation or small giveaway at the next flitefest

For this I need the following data:
  • wingspan (in or mm)
  • center of gravity (in or mm)
  • all up weight (oz or g)
and the recommended setup:
  • wich FT Power Pack?
  • servos (quantity | 5g or 9g)
  • battery (mAh | s)
  • motor size
  • motor kv
  • ESC (How much A?)
  • propeller size (perhaps CW & CCW?)
and a nice photo!

Dear designers:
If you would like to have cards of your builds for the community, please share the data and a photo of your build here! ;)

For electronics specs, do I have to use power pack specs or if I am using power pack equivalent gear, do I show that.

Lol I am asking these questions without even building the plane yet 😂

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
that sounds good. warning: turnigy nanotech i would avoid. i got 2 turnigy nanotech 1000 3s lipos and one had a bad cell.
I use turnigy nanotech 750 1 cells and they are just fine, maybe it is just the one you had. Also, it is not nanotech that I was looking at, it was just regular turnigy

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I posted this question in the allied forces thread but more people would see this here

I not sure where to ask this but since this thread is in the scratch builders area, I decided to ask here. How do I make holes in a plywood firewall to attach the motor, because I found a 60 dollar drill/driver kit at our local Home Depot and I am wondering if I can go any cheaper. Also, a 6th grader (me) should be able to use this method. Thanks!

Hey there. Any suitably sized drill will do. A good tip is to take a sharp object and mark the centre of where you want to drill, this stops the drill wandering on you and will give you a more precise placement of the hole. Another good idea is to pick a drill bit just a wee bit smaller than the screw you need so the screw has a good purchase on the plywood. Be aware of what is on the other side so you don't damage something you don't want to. I think you could probably get a drill/driver cheaper than $60 but I'm in the UK so can't really advise on that.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Thanks for the tip, I guess I have to use the 60 dollar kit, but at least I would know how to use it.

Last edited:

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
I posted this question in the allied forces thread but more people would see this here

I not sure where to ask this but since this thread is in the scratch builders area, I decided to ask here. How do I make holes in a plywood firewall to attach the motor, because I found a 60 dollar drill/driver kit at our local Home Depot and I am wondering if I can go any cheaper. Also, a 6th grader (me) should be able to use this method. Thanks!

i mean... you CAN use a hand drill or chisel... but jokes aside yeah a cheap electric cordless drill will do the trick.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Actually, is there anything else cheaper, like a hand powered drill for example?

yeah, hand powered drills of the 1800s would work but would be painfully slow and not very fun. i would recommend a powered one. cheap is great but if you can afford to get a better one and plan on doing more wood working in the future it is worth the investment. my dad got one for 90 bucks on sale and it has an impact function as well. its lasted for years and has even put screws into 100 year old oak trees.

Tench745

Master member
Actually, is there anything else cheaper, like a hand powered drill for example?

You're probably not dealing with very thick materials or very large drill bit. I find a pin-vice type drill will do most of what I need it to for FT style models. Depending on the drill they can take up to a 1/8" bit.

Here's a really nice looking one on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/tool-home-Precision-Model-Drill-Twist/dp/B010BV7190/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1520814369&sr=8-2&keywords=pin+vice+drill

And something more along the lines of what I have:
https://www.hobbytown.com/pin-vise-w-6-drill-bits-by-testors-tes50629c/p49259

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
You're probably not dealing with very thick materials or very large drill bit. I find a pin-vice type drill will do most of what I need it to for FT style models. Depending on the drill they can take up to a 1/8" bit.

Here's a really nice looking one on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/tool-home-Precision-Model-Drill-Twist/dp/B010BV7190/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1520814369&sr=8-2&keywords=pin+vice+drill

And something more along the lines of what I have:
https://www.hobbytown.com/pin-vise-w-6-drill-bits-by-testors-tes50629c/p49259

cool drills. for the motor mount for the pusher config of the versa wing, i used a small jigsaw to cut out the pieces by hand. it took a long time. but its cheap.