2018 Flite Test Forum Challenge: WWII Design & Build

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I’m a little late too but I chose a plane.
3495FE24-C3FC-49F0-9CEF-6AEDD6478289.jpeg
Stearman XA-21, it is an allied ground attack plane (I’m coming for you in the bombing challenge b-29er).
Here is the forum thread for it http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?39833-FTFC%9218-WW2-Stearman-XA-21

Last edited:

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Just searched up carpet bombing and it should work, but I would be able to fit a lot of “bombs” in my plane too, so it is ON b-29er

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but so far no FFW has been announced and there it is probable that there will not be a west coast event this year. But if they do announce one, I'm pretty sure I'll be there.

DamoRC

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Last year it was in May so if there will be one this year it will probably be in June or July. It would be better for me in that case because my summer break is in June, July and August.

Namactual

Elite member
I know I am late to the party, but the Fantasy plane challenge has my vote as well. I have a subject in mind I have been meaning to do for a while that would fit perfect.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Hey all you awesome builders that completed a design and have a maiden flight under your belts!

Check out the new Resources area of the forum and consider taking a few minutes to upload your plans and some information about your project. It'll help more people find your project, and you will get to see your creation take flight more often all over the world :)

http://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/

Namactual

Elite member
Hey all you awesome builders that completed a design and have a maiden flight under your belts!

Check out the new Resources area of the forum and consider taking a few minutes to upload your plans and some information about your project. It'll help more people find your project, and you will get to see your creation take flight more often all over the world :)

http://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/

I am not really sure this is where I should be asking this, but since it pertains to your post, this place is as good as any I guess.

I tried to add a plane to the resource section, but I am having issues. For one, it says my attachments are too large. My plans are in a raster image format so that would make sense. I figured this would not be an issue as I have them hosted on a empty google site for this reason. The issue now is it will not let me make the thread without an attachment or link to an externally hosted file. I had the download links in the post, but it still was a no go. I guess it's looking for something else?

Which brings me to my next question. I saw another section called XF Plans. My prints are done for the most part, but still might need some tweaks. Would that be a better place to post the plans? Or is that for something else?

Sorry for all of the silly questions. I just wanted to make sure I am posting these in the right section.

Thanks in advance.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I don't have a clear idea of what the XF plans area is for - there are a handful of posts over in there where we are noodling that over and I still don't think we've come to an idea on that - but Dan / Fred / Balu would be the ones to answer that.

As for the technical problem in the resource area, perhaps compressing the raster file in a ZIP to make it a smaller attachment? Although putting in the link to the files should work too - Balu is interacting with the developers and forum members in this thread and could probably help more than I can on this - http://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/updated-forum.53405/

Namactual

Elite member
Roger that.

I did indeed zip the files, the zip file was just shy of 7mb. That is not small, but it's not really that large either. Maybe I was not doing something right, who knows. I will try again when I have some more time. I will post any issues in the link you posted above. What I really need to do is convert these into a vector format using Inkscape or somesuch.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up brother.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Sorry for the cross post - I put this in my FW-42 thread as well, but with the forum move dropping everyone's subscriptions I wanted to mention this here too.
-----------------------------

Sad to report that due to a very important family activity whose schedule just came out and conflicts with FliteFest Ohio, my attendance will be curtailed, if I can make it at all. :sick:

I might be able to fly up to help with setup and see people on Wednesday and Thursday, but I need to be back home Friday afternoon so I'll miss the weekend. And with needing to fly up instead of drive, I'm afraid the monster FW-42 project might not be able to make an appearance this year. :cry: I'll see if someone local who is driving might have some space and an interest in hauling her up, but I don't want to use up someone else's room if it gets in the way of their own plans at all. There is a chance I could work out a driving schedule that gets me up and back, however that cuts out more time I could hang with people at the event.

But family comes first, and I realize that I only have a couple more years to enjoy my daughter living at home - and I don't want to miss an event that's a big deal for her. And I'm sure my FliteTest family will understand. Ya'll are good peeps and will get this decision.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sooo sad to hear you are in this position mate. I know you love Flite Fest, but the rules state Family does come first my friend. Don't ever feel bad or apologize for that. I would love to see you again this year and if you can not make it I will be sad and miss hanging out with you again. Maybe this would be the year and you find a way to do FF Texas and get to meet a bunch of new people instead.

Hopefully the reason you are missing is a fun and happy one. You can still keep us in the loop and send videos and pics of your special vacation. Besides we still have the forums where we can pester and taunt you for missing out. :devilish:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The conflict is a rock music camp where my daughter is taking a step from being just a camper into a youth leader - so she'll be giving a workshop and part of the coaching team for one of the bands of younger kids in addition to writing and performing an original song with her own band on Saturday morning at the 9:30 Club here in DC. That's a pretty big deal as a venue too - acts like the Ramones, Black Flag, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, REM, etc have played there. I'm pretty sure I have a couple of her band videos in my youtube library. She's one heck of a drummer, a great vocalist, and a solid bass and uke player too. (Yeah, just a little dad pride here :D )

Namactual

Elite member
Sorry to hear that rockyboy.

That's alright though, there will always be another FliteFest. Your kids are only young once.