2019 Balsa Build-Along?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Not officially starting this yet, just getting a feeler out to see who may be interested in a Balsa Build Along for this coming winter.

We've done a BBA based on Mountain Models planes and one that was more of a free-for-all, does anybody want to recommend a theme for this episode?

Two thoughts near & dear to me would be building a swap meet kit (or something found on Craigslist, eBay, etc., including kits somebody else started), or my favorite: rescuing & rebuilding an old kit. Maybe warbirds, or.....?

TooJung2Die

Master member
Apollo EP-5 ARF

I wasn't excited until you said "swap meet kit". Is an ARF a kit? I dunno. You are kit bashing the P-47D ARF so why not?! I never though I would buy an ARF until two days ago. If it wasn't a steal I wouldn't have given it a second look. It will be a kit bash for sure.

Here's what I found. I searched the Internet but can't find a single mention of it. Judging by the MSRP and the brushed motor it came with it has to be over ten years old. Has anyone ever seen or heard of the "Apollo EP5, 1850mm ARF"? Balsa/ply construction.

IMG_0264a.jpg IMG_0267a.jpg IMG_0265a.jpg IMG_0266a.jpg

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'm not doing anything with a P-47, you're probably thinking of Willsonman. I'm taller and more handsome. :)

Can't help you with the Apollo, although the RC groups on FaceBook are often able to help. Looks like a pylon racer.

jsknockoff

Mentor
I like the warbird idea. I’d also be up for a, finish a project build. I have a few planes sitting around that need finished up so I can finally justify ordering my next BIG build.

TooJung2Die

Master member
Doh! Willsonman titled his P-47 build "Winter Build 2018/19". I'm so easily confused. :oops:

The Apollo is a sailplane/glider. I don't do FB. :cautious:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
How about a Great Planes build as they are dead now....long live Great Planes...

Plus I am starting a GP Extra 300s soon.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Hmmm... I just picked up a new in box discontinued Great Planes Stinson Reliant off Craigslist, but it's got a 100" wingspan and would take far longer to build than the Build Along allows. :) I've also got a Great Planes PT-40 kit that somebody started a decade or so ago - most of the big work is done, although it's got some water damage and drips of roofing tar on it from sitting in an attic for so long. It's got enough "ugly" on the old balsa that I'm considering covering it with clear film. I wouldn't be surprised if there are another couple GP kits in my stash.

Chuppster

Hmmm... I just picked up a new in box discontinued Great Planes Stinson Reliant off Craigslist, but it's got a 100" wingspan and would take far longer to build than the Build Along allows. :) I've also got a Great Planes PT-40 kit that somebody started a decade or so ago - most of the big work is done, although it's got some water damage and drips of roofing tar on it from sitting in an attic for so long. It's got enough "ugly" on the old balsa that I'm considering covering it with clear film. I wouldn't be surprised if there are another couple GP kits in my stash.

Could you do a less well known model? Something that isn't a P-47 or a P-51? I enjoy learning about some of the aircraft that are a little less familiar.

TooJung2Die

Master member
Does a WWI biplane qualify as a warbird? I have a second hand Guillows SE5a kit that someone got into as far as popping out some of the die-cut pieces. I built the same model as a boy. Instead of rubber power free flight this one will be electric motor and RC.

Last edited:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Probably just make it a free for all build along. I have been posting more on RCG lately because there are more builders there and I get more input for learning there, but I will simulcast my Extra build here if there's interest.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Probably just make it a free for all build along. I have been posting more on RCG lately because there are more builders there and I get more input for learning there, but I will simulcast my Extra build here if there's interest.
Absolutely, please share it here as well. You won't get as much feedback, but it is a great resource for those moving from Flite Test foamboard to balsa.

I'd agree that making it a "free for all" might be best. Seems like everybody has their own interest in what to build.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'm in! :D

I've got swap meet kits, warbird kits, restoration projects, and a Carl Goldberg kit (which is now owned by Great Planes) in the shop already so having a contest around any one of them just helps prioritize my build list :cool:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Same here. I've got a ton of projects to pick from and just need to narrow it down a bit. New kit, restoration, or...?

Sitting on a GP Slowpoke Sport .40 kit i bought when the kit was discontinued. I’ve got a four stroke Saito .50 ready to go on the nose.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Hmmm, just picked up a Senior Telemaster recently that needs lot of work including a rebuild and cleaning of the .91 glow engine. It was built with a single-piece 94" wing which means you need a trailer or extremely long vehicle to transport it to the field. My new work vehicle is a Ford Transit Connect, but the cargo area is too short. The wing could really stand a re-build into a 2-piece design for convenience. This plane is certainly in the running for my project.

Funny you would mention the difficulty of transporting a one piece sr telemaster wing.... just poked two holes in the covering in mine when it shifted in transit this morning :(

TooJung2Die

Master member
96 inch wing with IC engine? Looks like the build along will be way out of my league. I'll be watching from the cheap seats in the stands.:(