2019 Balsa Build-Along?

TooJung2Die

Master member
I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring with the Guillow's SE5a I'm building. At the speed the build is going it may be 2019 before it is finished and Springtime next year for it's maiden flight.

Guillows SE5a Rubber Free Flight to Electric RC Conversion

IMG_0302a.jpg

Jon

TooJung2Die

Master member
Nice! These Guillow conversions are interesting works.

It better be a good flier! It'll be a heart-breaker to crash. This SE5a is more challenging than any of the three balsa builds I made in the last year. Lots of little pieces and the die-cuts are not very good. I'd rather build from printed balsa than bad die-crunch. If I ever build another Guillows it'll have to be laser cut. :)

Jon

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
It's fall Rockboy...start making some dust!

I'm about to start making spackle & filler dust, but I can't see clear space on my workbench under the fiberglass curing on my current project to open up a balsa kit this week :cry:

198847_63fd054c8aa9f529ea241c3ffb93fe87.jpg

But yes - I'm itching to get going on a balsa build again. It's been too many months just working in foam with a couple balsa repairs to break up the time.

I'm a little conflicted on which balsa project to start next. I want to work on one of the kits in my pile from a manufacturer I haven't built with before, so that narrows things down to...

Fokker D.VII kitted by Dare/Brodak cause I need to see what all the fuss over Pat Tritle designs is about. And I love me some WW1 biplane.​
Retro e'Moth by RetroRC - I had my eye on this for nearly a year before it came back in stock Jan17. :)
Phaeton II 40 sized biplane kit - this Balsa USA kit has some years on her, lots of yellowing of the plans.​
Goldberg Eaglet 50 kit from the early 2000's I believe - it's a laser cut, not die crushed, so it should go together nicely :)
The rest of my balsa kit pile is either from Steven's Aeromodel or Mountain Models, both manufacturers I love and trust, or Guillows who I know how much I can trust, and one "ARC" - almost ready to cover, all framing done just ready for hinges, covering, and electronics - and it just seems like cheating on the balsa build along to call that my fall build.

So, is there anything in that list of four above that someone would like to see a build thread on? Perhaps from a manufacturer you've been considering but haven't purchased from yet?

jaredstrees

I vote e'moth. Came close to picking that one even though I wanted a stick.

Speaking off, still no word on my backorder. They can't even give me an eta. Going to give them a few more weeks until I call it. If I do I'll probably go with the mm lucky ace. Quick question on covering:

How is ultracote compared to monokote? I know I could use solite again, but I want something a little thicker on this plane considering what I'm going to expect of it. Also, does anyone know of a white that will have a shimmer to it? One of the colors I'm going to do is metallic purple, and I'd love a metallic white to compliment it.

jsknockoff

Mentor
I learned to fly on an Eaglet 50! Never knew they made a laser cut version. I crashed that airplane probably 10 times before my dad built me a new one, lol. If you decide to sell it instead of building it let me know, I’d love first shot at it!

TooJung2Die

Master member
And I love me some WW1 biplane.
Me too. Half of my airplanes are multi-wing and most of the multi-wing airplanes are WWI. They fly great like their full size counterparts and look cool. Lots of wing area and big tail surfaces makes them slow flying and aerobatic.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
So I finally got enough of the FW-42 project closed up that I cleared off a workbench and started back on a balsa build. It's still 2019, so it still works for this thread, right? :p

I was all ready to dig out the Balsa USA Phaeton 2 from the pile since I need to get a biplane back in the hanger for my clubs summer biplane contest - and then I looked at the wingspan on that girl - 52". That's going to take up a good bit of storage room in the shop. I happened to pick up the Gee Bee Dreamer kit while I was digging around and noticed the wingspan on this girl is a svelte 39" which will fit in my hanging spot a good bit better. So she's up next :D

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/gee-bee-dreamer-bipe.57753/

I also found the original magazine article and plane that were published before Gee Bee turned her into a kit, and there are several differences between the versions that I'm thinking about. In particular, the first version didn't use any interplane struts, while the kit version does - but the installation / attachment method is largely left to the imagination of the builder. At the moment I'm building towards "let's put in some bracing so I have the option later".

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
My build along is halted as were gearing up for the big move. But at least the construction of the Extra is complete. I will probably get back to the finish work in a few months. I, however, do have a few airplanes and my gear out still so I can fly.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Progress report, We are scheduled to close on April 12th and start moving into the new house, so hopefully I can get back to finishing the Extra by May. I forgot how to build it’s been a while now. I’m still flying like crazy though.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Haha, yes it is! Its my old computer and I usually build a new one every 10 years or so. Its another hobby, but when you custom build a system it seems to last a long time. I think the flappy things were to protect it from a vacuum if on the floor, but who knows as they are weird. I built another system 6 years ago with liquid cooling and its still going strong and just use this one for a backup now.

I am happy to announce that my flight operations are back to normal, now just need time to work on the build room.