2019 Balsa Build-Along?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
nhk750 thats a pretty cool dragon!

Truthfully I only joined the forum because of this thread! I picked up an old Sig 1/5 Scale J3 recently in an ebay auction and this seemed like a pretty cool idea to log the build and mash ideas! I will definitely contribute when i begin here in the next couple of weeks!

Welcome to the forum! Although few (if any?) here have built that specific plane there will always be plenty of support and help as needed.

Hopefully I get a tracking # for my potential Build Along kit today. Going through my stash of supplies it looks like I'll need to order servos for it, and possibly wheels. Just about everything else should be on-hand, including a Quadra 50cc gas engine. The engine might need a carb re-build and a couple new gaskets though as it's been sitting for years. It's got a funky home-made Pitts-style exhaust with a line for smoke fluid, so maybe I'll add smoke to it as well. :)

jaredstrees

Now I'm really intrigued! I'm interested in joining along, but I probably won't get anymore serious build time until January. So many family activities in the fall, plus here in Florida flying season is around the corner!

Welcome to the forum! Although few (if any?) here have built that specific plane there will always be plenty of support and help as needed.

Hopefully I get a tracking # for my potential Build Along kit today. Going through my stash of supplies it looks like I'll need to order servos for it, and possibly wheels. Just about everything else should be on-hand, including a Quadra 50cc gas engine. The engine might need a carb re-build and a couple new gaskets though as it's been sitting for years. It's got a funky home-made Pitts-style exhaust with a line for smoke fluid, so maybe I'll add smoke to it as well. :)

Sorry, I mis-spoke. I picked up a Sig 1/6th Scale(i think) its a 71" wingspan J3 cub. I saw the re-build thread on your 1/4 Scale Cub I was saddened at the crash, but it seems like you were able to replace it! I really liked the blue and yellow, putting the cart before the horse, I am considering the same paint scheme for this build.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Yeah, that was a tough loss as it was my first giant scale plane and I spent a lot of time rebuilding it, but it happens and we move on to bigger and better planes! :) There are currently two 1/4 scale Cubs in my fleet to keep me busy, the green Balsa USA Cub and a Sig clipped wing version that needs a LOT of rehab work before it'll fly again. My buddy's Sig 1/4 scale Cub also spent time on my bench getting ready for flight and saw it's maiden flight this past weekend, where things went great. The biggest thing I find with these big Cubs is getting the balance right, and going with more nose weight when in doubt. His Cub's first flight was a little touchy, and was fixed quickly by bolting a block of lead to the nose.

The blue/yellow scheme I used was copied from a Hobby King foam Cub they used to sell. I think the original plane actually had silver wings, but the blue really looks much nicer in my opinion. With a plane the size you're going to build you have some options for covering. First you could go the easy way with a standard Monokote type covering. That would be quick, easy, and fairly cheap. However it's also a glossy finish which isn't quite scale since the original is fabric covered. A fabric covering could be used bu it's heavier and far more work, but the finished appearance is fantastic. The bigger planes really open up options and let you scratch the scale-itch if you have one. :)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
So you're starting on a 1/2 scale project next? :p

Hmmm, maybe I should...! So far 1/3 scale is as big as I've gone, and those are getting difficult to transport so 1/2 scale may be off the table until I get a trailer. There are a number of 1/2 scale Cubs out there - that'd be a pretty cool project! :)

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Im going to build a 1/4 scale Sig clipped wing cub on floats and am accumulating stuff for it slowly. The cub is backordered from Sig right now, but I got the float kit. But first I am building the Extra 300.

jaredstrees

Look at all you pros! I'm looking for another park flyer, since I don't have access to those wonderful big open fields ya'll fly at!

So, I'm thinking about a stick, in the 30" ish wingspan. Does anyone have any good suggestions? My last two were mountain models (EVA bibe and switchback sport) so I'd kind of like to try a different vendor. Although that lucky ace does look nice!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Thats why I want to build a 1/4 float plane. No field big enough for that around here, but plenty of lakes around.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
as Rockyboy knows... I have a number of projects to get off the ground (literally), however I have scored two balsa kits. one is a Contender 40, from the 70's based on the box.
images

and I have an EDF Balsa Kit... I just had two 70mm edfs arrive....
but I have a much work prior to starting this. My hat is on the edge of the ring.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Look at all you pros! I'm looking for another park flyer, since I don't have access to those wonderful big open fields ya'll fly at!

So, I'm thinking about a stick, in the 30" ish wingspan. Does anyone have any good suggestions? My last two were mountain models (EVA bibe and switchback sport) so I'd kind of like to try a different vendor. Although that lucky ace does look nice!

Here are a couple fun ideas in that size category from different vendors... due to funny website design on a few of these you'll need to scroll down to find the specific plane...

babe'Moth
http://retrorc.us.com/retroemoth-1-1-2.aspx

Radical RC Stick 400
https://www.radicalrc.com/category/Radical-RC-E-Kits-190

Dare Sopwith Pup
http://brodak.com/electric-kits/dare-electric-kits/sopwith-pup.html

Dare P-26 Peashooter
http://brodak.com/electric-kits/dare-electric-kits/dare-p-26-peashooter.html

Comet (a touch bigger at 39" but from a new kit builder getting lots of good reviews)
http://oldschoolmodels.com/comet.htm

Duelist MK-III
http://www.bmjrmodels.com/radio-controlled/park-flyers/duelist-mk-iii-1-2

Astron 20 (Yes, this is an "X-wing" style bipe :D )
http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/simitar/simitar_stuff.htm

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor

I have the MM Ace and love it. The only problem is it’s too small. :). Someday I’ll build a bigger one.

With a plane the size you're going to build you have some options for covering. First you could go the easy way with a standard Monokote type covering. That would be quick, easy, and fairly cheap. However it's also a glossy finish which isn't quite scale since the original is fabric covered. A fabric covering could be used bu it's heavier and far more work, but the finished appearance is fantastic. The bigger planes really open up options and let you scratch the scale-itch if you have one. :)

Yes, the Solartex looks like a pretty neat option, unfortunately, I can only find it for sale in the UK, and the price hasn't gone down! (but i think it may be worth it.) I'm new to fabric and covering so there is some research in my future. Luckily I have some time before I begin to cover it so we will see what I find.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
My understanding is the company that made Solartex has discontinued it, which is unfortunate as it's perfect for big planes.

My understanding is the company that made Solartex has discontinued it, which is unfortunate as it's perfect for big planes.

Yes that’s what I came across as well, it looks like they replaced solartex with glosstex, personally I prefer the satin look. They do have an outlet site that still has some solartex stock so I emailed them to see if they had the colors I’d want. But their prices are still pretty hefty. Covering obviously is a long way off yet so I still have time to decide! Now to just get the kit in!