2019 Fantasy Aircraft Design & Build Challenge! CoD Infinite Warfare Jackal Space fighter

JTarmstr

Elite member
I understand that, my wife and I are doing the Dave Ramsey FPU... So I've got an "allowance" too! :ROFLMAO:
AND I LOVE the Mustang... I am however not very successful at flying one... (The bane of my RC skills...)
Would LOVE to see pics of yours, here's one I did for FFO this year, she only flew a couple times before I nosed her in HARD.... :cautious:
View attachment 112748

This is my Ft Mustang, I didnt pain it because I am not expecting it to escape my flying it unscathed.
Ft Mustang Top.JPG

I also printed some stickers, I couldn't find a Ft logo template so I drew my own, it doesnt resemble it at all.
Ft Mustang underside.JPG

JTarmstr

Elite member
While building the mockup for this I realized most likely this will be bank and yank, might add some thrust vectoring in, it definitely has potential for it

also I think i am going with 65 mm EDF powerplant on a 3s

JTarmstr

Elite member
Major Update:

So having completed mockup 1, I have some modifications, observations and plans to continue.

I started with a sheet of foam about 3x 2 feet and then cut wings out of the sides which brought the frame to 3x1 just fuselage and 3x2 with wings. I then built the box that would house the EDF.
Jackal Mockup 1.JPG

Having built the box I added cardstock on top and slid the nose on and built some intakes.. Then I cut some vertical stabilizers and glued them at a 45 degree angle. So thats pretty much the mock up, here's some photos of the finished item.
Jackal Mockup 2.JPG

Jackal Mockup 3.JPG

Obviously its not the most aerodynamically efficient finish, but it doesnt have to be.

So a few observations and opinions about the design:

1 The design glides well (I added weight and balance it and it flew decently) so I am hoping it wont be a bullet and I can enjoy flying it.

2: Rigging the airplane to have working rudders will be tricky so I think I will add some thrust vectoring in the back to help with turning

3: Its relatively easy to put together and the plans should be straight forward (provided I can learn to draw them)

So thats my impression with it, I will hopefully have a glide test up soon (on video), I would also like everyone's suggestions and opinions.

Also this was a 2:3 scale, should I scale it up or keep it this size?

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I understand that, my wife and I are doing the Dave Ramsey FPU... So I've got an "allowance" too! :ROFLMAO:

(y)

Um, DID YOU NOT READ "So I've got an "allowance" too! "...??!!

NOW the wife says I'm not allowed to talk to you anymore! :ROFLMAO:
(I ordered 4... and the servos... cause... you know, they were $10!) Don't tell her!! :censored:

Mr Ramsey gonna be chasin' you down!

Sketchup is a pretty easy CAD program (and TONs of youtube tutorial videos.) I don't think it has some of the more advanced features like unfolding.

There are free plugins available to do things like unfolding and exporting to DXF files.

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Major Update:

So having completed mockup 1, I have some modifications, observations and plans to continue.

I started with a sheet of foam about 3x 2 feet and then cut wings out of the sides which brought the frame to 3x1 just fuselage and 3x2 with wings. I then built the box that would house the EDF. View attachment 112849
Having built the box I added cardstock on top and slid the nose on and built some intakes.. Then I cut some vertical stabilizers and glued them at a 45 degree angle. So thats pretty much the mock up, here's some photos of the finished item. View attachment 112850
View attachment 112851
Obviously its not the most aerodynamically efficient finish, but it doesnt have to be.

So a few observations and opinions about the design:

1 The design glides well (I added weight and balance it and it flew decently) so I am hoping it wont be a bullet and I can enjoy flying it.

2: Rigging the airplane to have working rudders will be tricky so I think I will add some thrust vectoring in the back to help with turning

3: Its relatively easy to put together and the plans should be straight forward (provided I can learn to draw them)

So thats my impression with it, I will hopefully have a glide test up soon (on video), I would also like everyone's suggestions and opinions.

Also this was a 2:3 scale, should I scale it up or keep it this size?

Wow! - Fast progress and you know it glides well already - cool (y)

When you say rigging rudders will be difficult - where are you putting the elevator? Seems like a v-tail setup with elevator and rudder on the v-stabs might work.

DamoRC

JTarmstr

Elite member
Wow! - Fast progress and you know it glides well already - cool (y)

When you say rigging rudders will be difficult - where are you putting the elevator? Seems like a v-tail setup with elevator and rudder on the v-stabs might work.

DamoRC

Yeah thats a good idea, never set one up before though (all my airplanes before were fairly simple). I was thinking something like this
elevator demo.jpg

JTarmstr

Elite member
So now having finished this mockup I am going to list my plans and future goals:

1-3 weeks: I plan to work on the design and order my EDF. once the EDF arrives I am going to begin fabricating the first prototype airframe.

3-6 weeks: While this may take longer than i want (I want to be hopeful) I am going to finish prototype 1 and maiden it. Once it is done I am going to go over my observations and improvements and then begin work on prototype 2.

6-12 weeks: this is rougher to predict and I am not quite sure what I will do yet. however I am planning to finish prototype 2 and see what I like. then I will begin work on the final entry.

This timeframe is not 100% accurate due to the fact it revolves arround how often I can get electronics, however I am planning to get two of those 69mm fans for 20 dollars. So it really revolves arround when I can buy some ESC's for it.

I am also going to post my electronics list at some point for an overview

JTarmstr

Elite member
So now: Glide test! yay! except it crashed a ton and it doesnt seem to want to fly anymore

Basically I weighted it with 3-4 ounces in the nose and 2-3 in the tale and got the cg about 1 inch forward from the wing tip

Heres the results:

Snapshot 2 (8-21-2018 2-48 PM) (2).png

nose up crash....
Snapshot 1 (8-21-2018 2-51 PM).png

nose down crash, R.I.P. airframe

So more work needs to be done... plus I just learned I cant put regular videos in my posts and instead have to link them from YouTube and I dont have a channel. This is gonna take a lot of work

JTarmstr

Elite member
Update:

The EDFs have arrived as well as the servos. I am thinking of changing the design to formers with a thrust tube in the center and mid fuselage wings, this will make the build look more scale and should help with setting up electronics. I have also decided on using a V tail and ailerons. The EDF is rated for flying a 1 kg aircraft at max so I might have to use dual EDFs.

I would be very grateful for suggestions as this is my first EDF build

JTarmstr

Elite member
So after a lot of building, I have gotten about halfway done on Prototype 1. unfortunately the airplane is really heavy (the EDfs weight a few tons) I have quite a few ideas how to build it with less weight and make the frame stronger for prototype 2, but first I will try to get this one in the air.
J1.jpeg
j2.jpeg

and yeah the ducting in the front is messy, hopefully it wont be much of a problem.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Hey @Mid7night do you think this is a good ESC for my EDF?

I don't have much to say about brands necessarily, my only rule of thumb when sizing is just make sure the ESC is capable of roughly 30% MORE max current than you expect the motor to pull at max throttle. i.e. If you expect your EDF to pull 60A, size your ESC to at least 1.3 x 60 = 78, round it up to 80A. (I made up numbers, I don't know what your EDF's are expected to pull at max throttle, which also depends on what voltage you run)

JTarmstr

Elite member
I don't have much to say about brands necessarily, my only rule of thumb when sizing is just make sure the ESC is capable of roughly 30% MORE max current than you expect the motor to pull at max throttle. i.e. If you expect your EDF to pull 60A, size your ESC to at least 1.3 x 60 = 78, round it up to 80A. (I made up numbers, I don't know what your EDF's are expected to pull at max throttle, which also depends on what voltage you run)

Ok thanks it said that 40 amps was recommended but I will double check that, I just read somewhere you need a stronger BEC for EDFs

Edit, it says 35 amps, which times 1.3 is 45.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Looking really nice @JTarmstr! Do you have a weighing scales? Would be useful for checking the all up weight and static thrust before chucking her into the blue yonder.

DamoRC