2019 Fantasy Aircraft Design & Build Challenge. X-Wing fighter

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
So this will make a good reason to revisit the X-wing. Earlier attempt wasn't very successful , but that was largely do to the pusher prop being chewed up before it could even get off the ground. ( that's my story and I'm sticking to it ) I think this time i will start with a small park flier size that can be hand launched and then go from there.

X-wing 2.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Welcome aboard! :D

I just noticed this thread and added you in - please make sure to announce yourself in the main challenge thread too so everyone else knows to come join the fun over here :D

Allenhat

I had a similar idea for a build but was going to start with a Z-95 Headhunter first for simplicity sakes. Then an X-wing after that. Good luck, I can't wait to see it fly.

Chuppster

I've been toying with the idea of trying one of these out for awhile. Have you considered using 4 quad motors for a power plant? I think that would be really cool.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
I've been toying with the idea of trying one of these out for awhile. Have you considered using 4 quad motors for a power plant? I think that would be really cool.

I have thought about twin edfs with differential thrust for rudder function.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
I will start this time with a simple lightweight profile design as a single pusher. Once I get that flying, then try to go bigger with twin EDFs. Also think I will add stabilization control this time. If nothing else it aught to be a good laugh.....

Chuppster

Looking good! Be sure to video the maiden!

Might I recommend adding a "box" between the four "wings" for bracing? So from the front the profile looks something like this:

path821.png

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Looking good! Be sure to video the maiden!

Might I recommend adding a "box" between the four "wings" for bracing?

Thanks for the comment Chuppster,
It glides pretty good without bracing, but I might add clear plastic vertical stabilizers between the wingtips if it looks like it needs it.

I will be sure to video the maiden , it should be interesting. :eek:

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
I am ready to do the maiden, just waiting for the wind to die down. Did some glider tosses, some flew straight but a lot "weather veined" do to " I believe" the long nose. As soon as the nose gets off center , it swings right around. It seems the best way for an X-wing to fly would be backwards. Therefore, I am not expecting a lot from the maiden attempt. I have some vertical stabalizers cut out ready to install between the wingtips to see if they might help keep it straight. Also have cut out a couple other glider ideas to try and overcome this "weather vein" tendency. Here are a couple of pictures of the current state.

x-wing-glider 8.jpg

x-wing-glider 7.jpg

x-wing-glider 9.jpg

x-wing-glider 10.jpg

kilroy07

Legendary member
An X-Wing's nose is a hexagon, I wonder if adding panels would help break the flat profile to the relative wind?

JTarmstr

Elite member
So... Um... Anyone notice in the recent A-10 video;
At 0:30 and 1:23.....??
:unsure:

All I see is a FT legacy, the 3d printed plane, a F7F Tigercat and whichever wing has the big compartment is it the versa? And yes I can name all their builds.

Edit: now I see it, I was getting sent to after the timestamps, there is a X wing! good eye, honestly I was just jumping up and down when I learned that they were going to build a A-10 apart from the F-16 its my favorite jet ever built. Actually though the first one looks like a Z-95

Last edited:

kilroy07

Legendary member
Actually though the first one looks like a Z-95
Hummm... You may be right about that...
I thought the second one might have been the Estes rocket, but I'm pretty sure it's way too big (I had one, but that was years ago...)

Anyway, I know they tease us with Easter eggs in all the videos but I did a double take when I saw that hanging on the wall!
Not sure where they are going with that or what it is exactly, but still pretty excited!!

Speaking of excited, who else CAN NOT WAIT to see that airsoft cannon mounted and firing from that A-10?!! :p

JTarmstr

Elite member
Hummm... You may be right about that...
I thought the second one might have been the Estes rocket, but I'm pretty sure it's way too big (I had one, but that was years ago...)

Anyway, I know they tease us with Easter eggs in all the videos but I did a double take when I saw that hanging on the wall!
Not sure where they are going with that or what it is exactly, but still pretty excited!!

Speaking of excited, who else CAN NOT WAIT to see that airsoft cannon mounted and firing from that A-10?!! :p

It doesnt look like a Estes rocket, I have a ton of them and that one hasn't been made in 15 years. To be honest it looks like a ground based model of some sort, I cant be sure though. 2:07 is a great view of it. And Yeah I cant wait, this will take combat to a new level.