2019 Fantasy Aircraft Design & Build Challenge!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'm taking on the role again as volunteer coordinator for what will be an excellent community focused design and build challenge for the Flite Test Forum Community and Flite Fest events in 2019 (but not necessarily the only one). The guidelines are heavily based on the last few years of experience and feedback from the amazing amount of fun and participation we have had.

Please share the link to this thread to everywhere you know Flite Test fans might see it. We want as many community members participating as possible to spread the fun! :D

Screenshot 2019-02-11 18.06.09.png

2019 Flite Test Forum & Flite Fest Community Fantasy Aircraft Design & Build Challenge

Summary:

Participants will design and build an electric motor driven, radio-controlled airplane model of a fantasy aircraft or flying machine, demonstrate that it is capable of controlled flight, and release the plans freely to the community. At the end of the design portion of the competition, a panel selected from the Flite Test forums will score the entries and select winners from the completed and flight-proven models posted on the forums. Additionally, in-person group activities will occur at the 2019 Flite Fest events to celebrate and demonstrate the accomplishments of the participants for those who can attend. In-person participation at a Flite Fest event is not required to participate in this challenge.

Objectives:

• Celebrate the obscure, unusual, whimsical, and bizarre variety of imaginative flying machines
  • Foster interest in building foam board model aircraft from community plans
  • Promote designing and building as one of the aspects of the FT community
  • Compete in flying events where any level of experience can be a winner
  • Engage in some friendly forum banter :)

Part 1 - The Design-Off Rules:

1. Subject must resemble an aircraft or flying machine that was depicted as being able to carry people (or drone capable of similar sized payload), but never successfully built and flown at full scale. This includes but is not limited to:
  • Military design sketches / plans (Yak-43)
  • Aircraft from TV shows / movies / anime (SHIELD Quinjet)
  • Fictional spacecraft (Firefly)
  • Civilian aircraft designs (Gee-Bee R-3)
  • Comic book aircraft (Batplane)
  • Video game aircraft (Fallout's Stingray Deluxe)
  • Toy aircraft (Airhogs)

For more ideas check out this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fictional_aircraft

Please consult the community in this thread if you have doubts about a specific aircraft's inclusion.

2. All designs must use electric power with motors from (or equivalent to) one of the Flite Test Power Packs. Exceptions for really crazy planes can be proposed, but are discouraged in the scoring. This way the largest number of community members can participate with existing or easily accessible equipment. Until Flite Test makes available an EDF power pack, jet or rocket designs may use any available EDF or modify the airframe for pusher prop or prop-in-slot with no scoring penalty. Actual Estes rocket motors are acceptable if appropriate to the design, but no hand-mixed rocket motors. We want everyone to keep their fingers.

3. As these are fantastical flying machines, scale is largely irrelevant. Build as big or small as you like :D

4. FT building techniques are a great foundation, but other more advanced techniques are welcome! Keep in mind that others may want to build YOUR airplane and may require additional skills to do so - be sure to provide clear build instructions for any non FT techniques used in your design.

5. To include as many pilots and teams in the challenge as we can, aircraft are encouraged to have multiple flight crew members to operate bomb drops, camera surveillance, turret functions, parasitic vehicles, etc.

6. Entries must demonstrate that they are capable of controlled flight before the Design-Off closing date to be considered for judging for the Design-Off portion of the community challenge. Only videos of the entry in flight will be considered proof of flight-worthiness.

7. Already started builds may be entered.

8. A complete set of digital plans must be available in the FT Forums Resource area by the close of the Design-Off. Vector-based formats are preferred but not required.

9. Build instructions MUST be provided through video instruction, textual write-up, or build log. Techniques different from standard Flite Test skills should be clearly explained. An excellent example can be found here: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?36200-Baby-Bugatti-700m

10. Participants may submit more than one entry, and multiple entries for the same design from different participants are awesome - especially if they use different build or design techniques.

11. Participants in the design challenge do not need to be able to attend an in-person Flite Test event (although we hope you can!) Scoring and adjudication of the design entries will occur through and be announced via the FT forums.

Coordinator's Instructions:

• Registration for the Design portion of the challenge will be by posting participant members’ FT user name, the model to be entered, and a link to the entries build thread in this main challenge thread, NOT via PM to the OP. All aspects of the design challenge are coordinated virtually through the forum: in person participation or demonstration is not required (and in fact not available).

Entry format:

Awesome Forum Member's Name
    Fantasy Plane Name
    http://forum.flitetest.com/showthrea...7-AwesomeBuildThreadLink
    [Insert picture of the inspirational aircraft in action]

Build threads should be titled in the format:

FTFC19 [plane name] designed by [designer name]

With the FTFC19 shortened version of 'Flite Test Forums Challenge for 2019' in the prefix so searches and causal forum browsers are all more likely to notice these projects.

Entrants are encouraged to add why they chose this model, and link to documentation for challenge appropriateness of the design for this challenge. (Wikipedia, Janes' Planes, etc.) Links to historical confirmation should be in the build thread for scoring purposes.

• Registration for Design entries will open August 1, 2018.
  • The Design portion of the challenge will end on February 28th, 2019. This is to facilitate time for community members to build aircraft well in-advance of the 2019 Flite Fest events. Community members are welcome and encouraged to keep building after this, but we have to cut off the scoring at some point.
  • Registration to participate in the group challenges at a particular Flite Fest Event (Ohio, Texas, Cali, etc) will open when that Flite Fest event is announced, and remain open until the event occurs.
  • Design review and scoring will be completed and results posted by March 31st 2019.
  • It is recommended that designers not review the rubric during the course of their project. To foster creativity and fun, review the rubric at the start, make your plan, build, and then review when nearing completion to see where you may accumulate additional points. The scoring rubric is posted below in the "spoiler" tag.
To be scored an entry must meet these 3 criteria on or before midnight February 28th, 2019:​

• Flight video posted
  • Plans posted
  • Build instructions posted

Part 2 - Group Demonstration Events:

At each 2018 Flite Fest event where sufficient participants gather, several group activities will be coordinated to demonstrate airworthiness, awesomeness, craftsmanship, and team camaraderie. A community volunteer coordinator will need to be identified for each event to ensure we can pull these group challenges together.

The Briefing: A coordinated static presentation of all participating models at the flight line for community show-and-tell. We've done this in the build tent, and on the flight line - and the flight line was much more accessible to a wider spectator and pilot audience.

The Timed Flight: A coordinated flight will occur with all participating models to flood the skies with all models, operating at the edge of their speed envelope. Aircraft will take off as simultaneously as is safe and feasible, and land following a 5 minute flight. Randomly assigned spotters for each aircraft will time the flight from takeoff to landing, and closest time to exactly 5 minutes wins.

The Spot Landing: Closest landing (when the aircraft comes to a full stop) to a marker (balloon or streamer) taped on the runway wins. If performing a lawn dart or figure 9 maneuver to finish close to the target, the largest single piece of the aircraft remains will be used for landing distance measurement. :oops:

• All models participating in these events should be built using designs meeting the Design-off guidelines.
  • Designs do not need to be completed in time for the Part 1 challenge scoring to participate in the Part 2 events.
  • The participant does not need to be the designer - please build other people's awesome designs and bring them to Flite Fest!
  • Registration for the in-person events at Flite Fest (Ohio/Texas/wherever) will be via posting in a specific thread created for those events, when the dates of those events are announced.

Design-off Scoring Rubric: 170 points total
Spoiler!

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Here are the fourty two official challenge entries to date!!

Please join in the challenge yourself, and then go follow their build threads, ask lots of questions, and cheer them on too! :D

@Fluburtur
ADF-01 Falken
Build Thread Link

@kilroy07
Swordfish II
Build Thread Link
Plans and... glide video!

@FAI-F1D
Lockheed N+2
Build Thread Link
Plans and flight video!

@Namactual
Macross Plus YF-21
Build Thread Link

@SP0NZ
AirHogs Intruder
Build Thread Link
Flight - need plans...

@Fidget
Columbus Jets Baseball Logo Plane
Build Thread Link
Plans and flight video!

@SquirrelTail
Stubby MiG
Build Thread Link

@Ketchup
WW1 Snoopy flying ace
Build Thread Link

@LitterBug
Terminator Hunter Killer
Build Thread Link
Plans and flight video!

@DamoRC
Tron Legacy One-Man Light Jet
Build Thread Link
Flight video - sorts of plans...

@localfiend
Hugh's MkIII Devastator
Build Thread Link
Flight - need plans...

@JTarmstr
Jackyl YF-23
Build Thread Link

@AircPirateNinsei
Wing Commander Hornet
Build Thread Link
Flight and plans!

@Aviator08
X-Wing Fighter
Build Thread Link
Flight - need plans...

@Zephyr1
HYDRA Valkyrie
Build Thread Link
Flight and plans!

@HilldaFlyer
Tardis
Build Thread Link

@FoamyDM
Ushakov LPL Flying Submarine
Build Thread Link
Plans - and sort of flight?

@FoamyDM
VF-9 Robotech Veritech Fighter
Build Thread Link

@FoamyDM
Logan X-stream 6 - Foam Catapult Plane
Build Thread Link
Plans and flight!

@FoamyDM
Star Fox Experimental 1 (SFX1)
Build Thread Link
Plans - need video...

@FoamyDM
Crimson Skies Heavens Spade Carrier
Build Thread Link
Flight - need plans...

@ThreePistons
Colonial Viper mkII
Build Thread Link

@Aero_Knight
VF-1 Valkyrie
Build Thread Link

@vhandon
Blohm & Voss BV P.170
Build Thread Link
Flight - need plans...

@jpot1 & @Michael763
Hughes Lockheed Firebrand from Crimson Skies
Build Thread Link

@JTarmstr
Lockheed X-44 Manta
Build Thread Link

@FoamyDM
Crimson Skies Devil's Dozen Mosquito
Build Thread Link
Plans and flight!

@Horseman3381
Tailspin Don Karnage Triplane
Build Thread Link
Flight and plans!

@Fallegon
ME 262 HGIII
Build Thread Link

@T-Richard
Boeing SUGAR
Build Thread Link

@Brett_N
Stipa Caproni
Build Link Thread

@Grifflyer
F-49A Patriot
Build Thread Link

@jfaleo1
Quinjet from The Avengers/Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Build thread
Plans - need flight video...

@DamoRC
Gee Bee R3
Build Thread Link
Plans and flight!

@F106DeltaDart
Naboo Star Skiff
Build Thread Link

@FoamyDM
Heaven's Spade Sparrow - Crimson skies inspired.
Build Thread Link

@AircPirateNinsei
Warhammer 40k Thunderbolt
Build Thread Link

@Craftydan
MiG-37B Ferret
Build Thread Link
Flight and plans!

@AkimboGlueGuns
F-19 Aurora
Build Thread Link

@FoamyDM
Heaven's Spade - Dragster
Build Thread Link

@Dr. Looping Looie
Kolibri High Alpha Flyer
Build Thread Link
Flight and plans!

@FoamyDM
Devil's Dozen - Big Bat
Build Thread Link

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
A special thank you to @CarolineTyler and @Hai-Lee who helped me with the scoring - you are pillars of the community and I appreciate all your help!

We had a great contest this year with 42 awesome entries, and 16 that fully completed the design portion of the challenge with plans and flight videos. We judges had an awesome time reading these build threads, and while all judging is at some level subjective we did our best to stick to the rubric while celebrating all of these great projects.

The first bucket of projects are this set of amazing entries that completed all the requirements of the challenge and inspired us all - so in no particular order here are the third place finishers who all have associated bragging rights. :D

SSM-63-2T.jpg

@kilroy07
Swordfish II
Build Thread Link

Love the classic Cowboy Beebop subject! Really ambitious build, and lots of great progress on developing the vector thrust control ideas. Very clever tree ornament ball body, and 3D printing the thrust rings and power system details is working great! I'm sure with more time to work out the flight characteristics this is going to make a stunning model ripping through the sky!

I think time beat you and not the other contestants on this one. I enjoyed the build and what little air time there was. Really wanted this one to work as it looks fantastic even in its vanilla finish! DO not give up as the result could be fantastic!

@Fidget
Columbus Jets Baseball Logo Plane
Build Thread Link

Love this offbeat subject! Great job replicating the nostalgic 50's lines - and the pilot figure is just perfect! The bat body is really cool and I'd love to see that version flying too. I think with a little more time you'll get the CG and EDF issues worked out and be tearing up the skies at Flite Fest!

A cute idea! Looked nice but its flight performance and lack of flight time set this one back a bit. Definitely would love to see this finished/rebuilt and flying well. It is one of the most unique entries!

@LitterBug
Terminator Hunter Killer
Build Thread Link

This is how Skynet starts... with an awesome project idea that is destined to rule over us all! Love the inventiveness and ingenuity with this work! Amazed how smoothly it performs for something that really looks like it shouldn't be able to fly with any sense of control at all! Very nicely done!

BRAVEST of all entries. Talk about bringing a gun to a knife fight! The judging and scoring criteria are very fixed wing centric so the rules disadvantaged you from the start. having said that it was the best tech solution and just needed a little more "Hunter/Killer) body work to have really increased it score. Now finish your design, comercialize it, and I might actually buy my first 'copter.

@Zephyr1
HYDRA Valkyrie
Build Thread Link

You really took on a mega project here and attacked it head on...a four foot model, not a six foot beast but a full on nine foot mega golliath! The Valkyrie was born and even without the multiple trailing props shown to fly pretty darn well. Super build, great flight footage and a headache to get in the car! :) As it flys so well on the EDF's, why not just power two props on each wing and make the others turn like windmills?

What a ship! I WANT ONE! I truely loved the multiple power sources ans propulsion solution. This is one of the top 3 to me. Needed a little refinement and a splash of finishing colour, (and decals?). This bird would make a fantastic FPV ship with the possibility of a very long loiter time or great range. Nice work, Really nice work. Its handling impressed me from its initial launch! I couldn't get enough!

@FoamyDM
Ushakov LPL Flying Submarine
Build Thread Link

Well, what to say? This is possibly the most ambitious of goals you could possibly set. To operate in two vastly different density of mediums.
The stages set were exactly right... Make it fly, make it float, make it dive. I hope we will see that first stage completed soon. The design looks great, the construction is very well executed with some great use of foam bending and shaping and I’m certain that a successful maiden is not far off.

The maiden ended in the water! So what it is part submarine after all! I love this design personally but my love cannot alter the scoring rules. So very close to being a finished design but has a few things holding it back. Hurry up and finish it because I want one!

@FoamyDM
VF-9 Robotech Veritech Fighter
Build Thread Link

An epic 3 year journey, a return to a dream, and such an audacious and inspiring design! The lines of this build look great, and the quality of the plans is outstanding! Really looking forward to seeing this one achieving a longer flight!

An exciting design that it seems time held back from final complettion. I was really looking forward to seeing thisone in the air but time ran out. Would love to see this finished and sadly it scored less than it deserved really. Please finish this one. Even though a complicated build the presence is outstanding. Love the look of it. I will be watching for this one to be finished as it deserves.

@FoamyDM
Logan X-stream 6 - Foam Catapult Plane
Build Thread Link

I love that this project is inspired by your son and fully expect that one day you'll get it flying well for him! It's a very cool futuristic design. The plans quality is outstanding - you're really got a knack for making them look and work great!

I love the concept but the scoring may not reflect it. I encourage you to continue to develop this as it has so much potential. It seemed that the clock beat you in the end, (caught you in mid development), but it would be a hard one ot have beaten if developed and finished a little more. I watched every second of video and really wanted more and more! Definitely not an easy build and one with the greatest potential! Keep it up!

@FoamyDM
Star Fox Experimental 1 (SFX1)
Build Thread Link

Very cool looking build - and on the edge of being a great flyer I think! If you find the link to the artwork or origional build you were inspired by I'd love to see it. That last toss looked like it was in high-alpha and wanted to lift! The plans are great - for a first set you really knocked it out of the park with them!

Nicely done and an attractive subject. Shows what the builder is capable of. Sadly needs a little development before it could be judged truly robust and even high "G" flight worthy. Yet again another great design just short of the finish line. A beautiful design that I look forward to seeing completed, (so that I can build one). Well done!

@FoamyDM
Crimson Skies Heavens Spade Carrier
Build Thread Link

What an awesome design - and she flys really well too! Top notch plans again, and really looking forward to the next version with the improvements you're planning. We need to see this all painted up and terrorizing the flying field!

Surprising little build! Well done! It flew first time as well - BONUS!! A little underdeveloped but then time was at a premium and the list of tasks was huge in the end. Pity it did not score better. You didn't even crash it! Generally well done! did not get the scores it deserved but it was not the lowest scorer by a country mile! WELL DONE!

@FoamyDM
Crimson Skies Devil's Dozen Mosquito
Build Thread Link

Really fun with the Christmas ornament in the center! Plans look very well done and the glider version seems solid - excited to see the powered version when the next build is ready!

What a cute little build. Sadly the NON-FT power setup cost it points. I will what out for this one if its development continues! With my eyesight I almost guarantee I would lose orientation every flight! Love the idea and encourage you to build more of this type and develop it a little further. Heck I might even save up for a good set of long distance glasses so I could fly one, (I don't have access to any indoor flying area). Some decals or other finish would have helped the score!

@Dr. Looping Looie
Kolibri High Alpha Flyer
Build Thread Link

What a fun and wacky design! Very approachable and obviously a lot of fun - Flite Test should contact you about kitting this along with the Nutball and FT Flyer - it's a hoot! Very simple to build and fly, very easy to customize too! Great job!

A very fun plane and one that FT could sell next to the nutball! Whilst I think I could build one I doubt I am fast enough to fly as in the video. It is a pity that there was not ground take off but then it does not really need it. Actually I watched all of the flight videos waiting for an explosion of FB. You got close a few times and that got my heart racing. At my age that can be dangerous!

Allrighty - now we're on to a set of amazing projects - any one of which could have been the winner but for the mechanics of the scoring process. These designers have all earned the bragging rights of second place finishers! :D:D

130.jpg

@FAI-F1D
Lockheed N+2
Build Thread Link

Wow! Really setting the bar high for an amazing entry! Love the detailed build instructions and specs that make it very easy for others to follow. And a bonus balsa glider too! This is a super sleek design, and the foam board version you designed does great at replicating the graceful lines - and the coloring scheme and finish look fantastic. Oh yeah, and rocket launch capable too! This project just keeps on giving!

A clean and relatively uncomplicated build. The scoring criteria does not allow for your ingenuity and skills to be recognized properly. The lack of decent 3 views, the use of different materials, (non-FB), and the lack of colour reduced the score of an otherwise brilliant execution. I didn't make the rules just applied them. I would love to have a shot at this one even if it was only to retire it almost immediately! Nice work and great lateral thinking!

@AircPirateNinsei
Wing Commander Hornet
Build Thread Link

The maiden video is just perfect! Love the spliced in game segments! This design looks so cool and angular and performs really well too - and the plans are excellent quality - really impressive work! Now we just need a printable skin for this that lives up to the amazing package you've put together here! :D

Sweet performer! The crash was regrettable and spolied my day! I still get jumpy whenever I see one go in! Mind you there was a bit of that in this competition. Perhaps I need a sedative! Great simple performer and a recommended build for those wanting something nicely crafted and spirited.

@DamoRC
Gee Bee R3
Build Thread Link

She's sooo beautiful!! You really knocked this one out of the park! The plans look stellar, the design really captures the lines of this classy bird and the paint job you did looks excellent! Love the flight video too - great editing and angles! I'm going to have to build one of these as a companion for my 60" balsa R3 when I get that restoration underway. :D

Not much to say really except WOW! Loved it and it seemed to fly reasonably well though I would have loved much more flight time video. This one will remain on my list of planes I want when I get good enough to build like such. Highest build skill level of all of the entrants. Fabulous effort and if FT was to copy it I am sure it would sell! Just needed landing gear which cost you points!

@Craftydan
MiG-37B Ferret
Build Thread Link

First I love the history and back story on this! And the opening translation of intercepted communications is hilarious! The step by step of the modeling process is really neat to watch the design decisions and process to bring this to life. The build video is a great step by step in the Bixler tradition and future builders will have no problems at all. That you were able to get the dutch roll under and control and have a smooth flying model is a testament to your design skills! Bravo good sir!

A sweet design in all of its forms. The relative simplicity of the build shows the design skills of the entrant. Not sure that it suits my flying skill set but definitely one to be recommended for the adventurous. Loved the flight videos though a little more especially of the EDF would have been nice. A nice looker and great fun to watch! A few decals would have really finished it off!

And that brings us to the the awesome First Place winner of the FTFC-2019 Fantasy Aircraft design / build contest who has the inalienable and unassailable bragging rights as such! :love:

SSM-61G_grande.jpeg

@Horseman3381
Tailspin Don Karnage Triplane
Build Thread Link

You've made something so improbable fly - and fly so well - it's amazing!! Love that the Sea Duck has such an iconic and awesome looking companion now! The plans are expertly put together, and I loved following the analysis and learning as you went through this project. And the final painted up look of the plane is just perfect! Well done sir!

An ambitious and well executed design and build. Your continued development past first edition is admirable. Whilst watching I almost fell of my chair, (I found that I was moving my thumbs trying to maneuver it when it twitched.) LOVED IT!

--------------------------------------------------
Again, I want to say thank you to all of the contest participants, the mentors, the volunteer judges, and all forum members who encouraged, supported, and cheered along the way.

You really are the best community on the internet.

Now let's all go and build something awesome! :cool:

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Reserved for info about Flite Fest in-person events related to this challenge

Last edited:

b-29er

If anyone's looking for a bit of inspiration from reality thats wild as fiction, i got some for you.

Boeing_AAC-03-680x271.jpg

So as some may know, the Boeing 747 originally competed with the C-5 galaxy as a transport aircraft. What most aren't aware of was the fact that the boeing 747 was still being considered for a military role after it lost. Know as the 747 AAC, or i'm assuming Airborne Aircraft Carrier, this was basically a plan to turn a 747 into a microfighter mothership, complete with a compliment of these bad boys
Boeing_AAC-02-680x360.jpg

The Boeing 985 concept microfighter. There were a half dozen variants of this, but this is the one you see in all the drawings. Sleek, tiny, and way ahead of its time, with thrust vectoring capabilities (in the 70s!) flexible leading edges, and other advanced technologies. This little plane as an RC could be quite the rocket with a good EDF behind it, and the top deck leaves a lot of room for electronics. Work out the issue of possible rudder collisions on landing (foldable lower rudder perhaps, or just make out of plywood) and this could be a winner.

Namactual

Elite member
The Boeing 985 concept microfighter. There were a half dozen variants of this, but this is the one you see in all the drawings. Sleek, tiny, and way ahead of its time, with thrust vectoring capabilities (in the 70s!) flexible leading edges, and other advanced technologies. This little plane as an RC could be quite the rocket with a good EDF behind it, and the top deck leaves a lot of room for electronics. Work out the issue of possible rudder collisions on landing (foldable lower rudder perhaps, or just make out of plywood) and this could be a winner.
I really dig that micro fighter. That looks sweet. It looks like it might be a relatively simple build as well.
I am not sure what they were smoking when they came up with the mother ship though. That dog ain't gonna hunt.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Guys, I just thought of an idea that could help development considerably for all of us. Yes, it's a shameless plug, but the goal is to further model design work in this community. I'm not trying to make money, just get these designs jump started for these challenges.

Several folks (among them Nerdnic, Mid7night, and of course me) have developed profile scale catapult launched versions of their EDFs, prop planes, etc, to evaluate stability. So here's the deal: not all of you have laser cutters, and not all of you have experience with free flight stuff. I have both, and I'm willing to open up J&H Aerospace's capabilities for your testing programs.

Here's what I'd need in order to test someone's particular design:
-Separate files for parts from each wood size (yes, we're using balsa wood), so, say, a dxf for the 1/8" balsa fuselage, another for the 3/32" balsa wings, and a third for the 1/16" balsa tails. I'll supply catapult hooks.
-All files have to fit inside a 12"x4" footprint for wood size and cutting area restrictions. This may mean you need to break up the fuselage into a couple pieces with a scarf joint to join them (don't use a butt join, it's fragile, and sheeting reinforcements on the sides has proved unnecessary on the models I'm selling).
-Incorporate a dihedral gage; I can help you with the recommended dihedral settings and any upscaling of the tail surfaces.
-As already alluded to, files need to be in dxf format. If you're using Sketchup, though, save your files in v8 or prior format and I can go in and do the extraction myself.

I can't do this for free since I'll be doing it with my equipment and balsa supplies. You'll get a high quality product and the ability to proceed toward an actual product should you decide that your design is successful enough to warrant that. These models really do come out quite nicely, are extremely easy to produce and build, and people love them. Just look at the popularity of FT's profile chuck gliders.

If you're unfamiliar with the level of performance we're talking about, here's a taste:

What my profile scale catapult glider kits look like:
IMG_20180627_212601541.jpg

A finished model:
IMG_20180629_221003117.jpg

And the current state of my own fantasy challenge catapult glider:
2018-08-01 14_19_21-Aleda_CLG.skp - SketchUp Make 2016.png

b-29er

I really dig that micro fighter. That looks sweet. It looks like it might be a relatively simple build as well.
I am not sure what they were smoking when they came up with the mother ship though. That dog ain't gonna hunt.
They were smoking that green stuff...you know, taxpayer money. Concept looks good on paper, take an existing plane and turn it into a flying aircraft carrier with onboard fuel and ordinance stores. Take an existing product, modify it a bit, outfit with this tiny fighter that doesn't need niceities like landing gear, redundant engines, complex hardpoint arrangements (theres only 2 and 2 30mm cannons) and sell it. In reality, the fighters are cool but the big bird would be a sitting duck, especially since those microfighters clearly lack a radar or non-infrared missiles. Also probably not a great idea to make a military product that is difficult to distinguish from a civilian aircraft.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
So I have a conundrum... I found the perfect design for an aircraft that I can build for the competition, but I can’t start designing until I finish my Red Bull air race entry. So the question is, should I register before somebody else takes this design (trust me, this design is very popular), or should I just wait and hope that nobody takes it?
Please tell me if you know what I should do. (Yes, I REALLY want this design.)