2019 Fantasy Aircraft Design & Build Challenge!

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
There is also DoubleCAD XT and the neat templates that @localfiend released a couple years back

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ft-style-cad-templates.25514/

I think the learning curve is maybe a bit more with the full on CAD program (DoubleCAD) vs. the vector graphics (Inkscape). Inkscape is great for creating skins/decals - even though I do my plans in DoubleCAD I still convert them to Inkscape to do the skins.

Yeah, there's a lot more things to click on in Doublcad vs Inkscape, but for 2D drawings I find actual CAD less frustrating. Easier to set angles, connect and split lines etc... Inkscape is definately the way to go for skinning and artwork after the plans are drawn though.

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
AircPirateNinsei
Wing Commander Hornet
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...er-hornet-designed-by-aircpirateninsei.54779/

wc_028.png

Last edited:

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
b-29er nailed it. Google "Ekranoplan" and do an image search. It pops up after a while. I have no idea whether it was a serious proposal (doubtful), but there are several pictures of the concept.

b-29er

More like "What the H-Eckranoplan"!

An ekranoplan was built and put into service.

Would be a cool build for someone who might be sitting on 8 extra EDFs!

DamoRC
Sounds like my kind of build. Especially if someone wanted to try to land on it. But im not commiting to anything until i maiden the b-36. Also, who would be just sitting on 8 edfs and not be building a BUFF?

Swing wing seems self defeating for a flying ground effect only aircraft carrier, but neat!

kilroy07

Legendary member
Swing wing seems self defeating for a flying ground effect only aircraft carrier, but neat!
Yea, neat till your standing on the flight deck and the thing takes to the air! (although it would eliminate FOD checks!) :LOL:
(Pretty sure those shoulders belong to an F-14.)