2019 Fantasy Aircraft Design & Build Challenge!

HilldaFlyer

All of your ideas are fantastic and I'm looking forward to watching your progress.
I've been thinking for a few days now, and it hurts... and I have not come up with my build - just letting you know that I'm in, but no topic has been chosen. I was thinking TARDIS
1536149148878.png

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
All of your ideas are fantastic and I'm looking forward to watching your progress.
I've been thinking for a few days now, and it hurts... and I have not come up with my build - just letting you know that I'm in, but no topic has been chosen. I was thinking TARDIS
View attachment 113957

That would be awesome! :cool:

Be careful about thinking too hard though... ease up a bit when it starts to hurt :p

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I don't know if I can re-submit the LPL Flying Submarine (still under development) and my VF-9.
LPLFS-iconsm.JPG LPLFS-Schematic.JPG 30DFPerspective.JPG
The VF-9 Robotech Veritech Fighter Jet still having to have taken a maiden voyage.
VF-9 Draft v1Channel Layout for Controls.JPG VF-9 BasicHookedup2.JPG
If they can count. Please add them and I will get them flying/floating/sinking/ hover as the case may be.

I would also like to get my Star Fox Experimental 1 (SF-X1) flying. Based on the Game Star Fox
SF-X1 RTF1.JPG
I also have THIS that I bought my 5 yr old son (6 this weekend) and I want to turn it into a big scale RC version.
3QV.PNG Side.PNG
Lastly I have mostly together plans for some Crimson Skies planes for the Heavens Spade Carrier (with pop-wing glider).
Capture.JPG

I know it's too Much. Though Most are 85% complete or Maiden ready/attempted. I can narrow it to

Foamy DM:
  • Ushakov LPL Flying Submarine
  • Logan X-stream 6 (for his age) - Foam Catapult Plane

Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?
Howdy_Doody_peanut_gallery_circa_1940_1950s.JPG

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I don't know if I can re-submit the LPL Flying Submarine (still under development) and my VF-9.
View attachment 114039 View attachment 114040 View attachment 114041
The VF-9 Robotech Veritech Fighter Jet still having to have taken a maiden voyage.
View attachment 114038 View attachment 114042
If they can count. Please add them and I will get them flying/floating/sinking/ hover as the case may be.

I would also like to get my Star Fox Experimental 1 (SF-X1) flying. Based on the Game Star Fox
View attachment 114043
I also have THIS that I bought my 5 yr old son (6 this weekend) and I want to turn it into a big scale RC version.
View attachment 114045 View attachment 114046
Lastly I have mostly together plans for some Crimson Skies planes for the Heavens Spade Carrier (with pop-wing glider).
View attachment 114044

I know it's too Much. Though Most are 85% complete or Maiden ready/attempted. I can narrow it to

Foamy DM:
  • Ushakov LPL Flying Submarine
  • Logan X-stream 6 (for his age) - Foam Catapult Plane

Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?
Howdy_Doody_peanut_gallery_circa_1940_1950s.JPG

Let's go with.... all of them! :p

I do believe they fit the rules, and even the ones you are already under way with haven't been completed with plans and flying videos yet so bring them on in :D

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Let's go with.... all of them! :p

I do believe they fit the rules, and even the ones you are already under way with haven't been completed with plans and flying videos yet so bring them on in :D
Ok... Put me in coach.
I suppose I need to get moving, huh?
Yes, you would think a year from last year's challenge would be enough time...
So it's best to start flexing my cad skills.

JTarmstr

Elite member
@rockyboy Can I build a more complicated airplane as a my entry and have a more simplified set of plans for the community? My current design if it had scale details, it would be a ton of parts and I dont know if I could have a good build guide for it.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
@rockyboy Can I build a more complicated airplane as a my entry and have a more simplified set of plans for the community? My current design if it had scale details, it would be a ton of parts and I dont know if I could have a good build guide for it.

Sure! As long as you provide video proof of flight for the version you are releasing plans for - gotta make sure the plans lead to a buildable, flying creation, right? Going crazy on a souped up / scaled up / detailed up version of the design too adds to the fun :D

JTarmstr

Elite member
Sure! As long as you provide video proof of flight for the version you are releasing plans for - gotta make sure the plans lead to a buildable, flying creation, right? Going crazy on a souped up / scaled up / detailed up version of the design too adds to the fun :D

Ok thanks!

HilldaFlyer

Here is my "Official Entry"

HilldaFlyer a.k.a. David Hill
TARDIS
Link: FTFC19 TARDIS designed by HilldaFlyer

1536870760890.png

The main reasons to build this are:
  1. I like a challenge. Not a lot of detail on the builds that have been made, at least what I can tell.
  2. My wife may help build this since she is a Doctor "fan".
  3. I want to build something that was not a "plane".
  4. I have always wanted to build this... now is the time.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member

TARDIS

View attachment 114735

1. I like a challenge. Not a lot of detail on the builds that have been made, at least what I can tell.

this was one of my first thoughts as well, huge Dr. Who fan. watched the "Weeping Angels" last night! :eek:

i think you should be able to make this work pretty easy. what would be cool is to build an inner structure that includes your elevons and rudder, so they are not seen from the outside. i have made a bunch of 3D printed joints that use the cheap carbon arrow shafts from Wally World. you can use the arrows (about $4 a piece), or they can easily be scaled down for smaller diameters. if interested, i'd be glad to help.

good luck,

me :cool:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor

TARDIS

View attachment 114735

Awesome!! :D :D