2019 Fantasy Aircraft Design & Build Challenge!

T-Richard

I've never drew up plans or entered a build off but I think I may try this. All my planes look pretty Sci fi already so my entry, if accepted, will be a bit outside of my conform zone.

How about a boeing SUGAR. Its a future concept airliner

Attachments

• aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzAxNC85NzAvb3JpZ2luYWwvbmFzYS1mdXR1cmUtYWlycGxhbm...jpg
    aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzAxNC85NzAvb3JpZ2luYWwvbmFzYS1mdXR1cmUtYWlycGxhbm...jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 0

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I've never drew up plans or entered a build off but I think I may try this. All my planes look pretty Sci fi already so my entry, if accepted, will be a bit outside of my conform zone.

How about a boeing SUGAR. Its a future concept airliner

That looks like an awesome project to tackle!

Welcome aboard! :D

Zephyr1

Elite member
Hey guys, so I know I haven't made a build thread for the SHIELD quinjet, and to be honest, its because I've made two models so far, both powered with two F back motors in a pusher configuration. Both times, flight stability was extremely bad. And by that I mean that the first model didn't fly, and the second one didn't fly for more than a minute.

So....

I'm changing my entry into this contest to be a different MCU aircraft. Something that ties in to last years contest. Hydra will soar to victory, upon the wings of the Valkyrie! I'm gonna try and make the Hydra bomber (flying wing) from Captain America: The First Avenger, and if time allows, I'll attempt the parasite fighter too. So this plane has 10 engines, 4 props on each side and 2 jet turbines. I'm going to cut it down to 6. 2 props on each side of the wing and then 2 edfs. I'm planning on using 4 F pack motors and then either 64mm or 70mm EDFs.

Valkyrie.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
@Zephyr1 very cool! It also looks like there are vertical fins coming down under the props that could help with yaw stability too...

The more entries the merrier @kilroy07 ! I like the comic book fantasy Horton even better than the prop they put together for the movie - the gull wings look very cool :D

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
@Michael763 - Exciting to see another Crimson Skies plane. I will be watching and encouraging! Go Michael!

At the rate I'm, designing, I will have the whole line of Heaven's Spades done by challenge end.

Don Karnage's Tri-Plane Update: I posted a video of some test flights I made with the plane to the build page HERE.
I'm not sure it is proof that it fly, or just capable of leaving the ground and flailing around in the air.
It counts based on last year - The Flying Sub Diff thrust was done backwards and late night hand toss launch. It twirled like a pizza as I hurled it away from me. :)eek:) later I fixed the thrust issue, and launched. This time it rolled over and flew-ish for a few seconds... I think @rockyboy counted it kinda. [very kind of him]

Side Note (karnage fans), what is Wildcat's plane?
s-l1600.jpg

It's the green on with and with out the propeller.

DeltaKilo69

Concerning the subject of the model and what the part about "is not limited to"...

Part 1 - The Design-Off Rules:

1. Subject must resemble an aircraft or flying machine that was depicted as being able to carry people (or drone capable of similar sized payload), but never successfully built and flown at full scale. This includes but is not limited to:
  • Military design sketches / plans (Yak-43)
  • Aircraft from TV shows / movies / anime (SHIELD Quinjet)
  • Fictional spacecraft (Firefly)
  • Civilian aircraft designs (Gee-Bee R-3)
  • Comic book aircraft (Batplane)
  • Video game aircraft (Fallout's Stingray Deluxe)
  • Toy aircraft (Airhogs)

Are original designs allowed/encouraged? I have designed and flown many of my own designs based on military aircraft, but never published my own drawings or artwork. Everything I've seen posted so far is artwork from some source or another. Does the subject have to have been published to the interweb or otherwise to be considered?

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Concerning the subject of the model and what the part about "is not limited to"...

Part 1 - The Design-Off Rules:

1. Subject must resemble an aircraft or flying machine that was depicted as being able to carry people (or drone capable of similar sized payload), but never successfully built and flown at full scale. This includes but is not limited to:
  • Military design sketches / plans (Yak-43)
  • Aircraft from TV shows / movies / anime (SHIELD Quinjet)
  • Fictional spacecraft (Firefly)
  • Civilian aircraft designs (Gee-Bee R-3)
  • Comic book aircraft (Batplane)
  • Video game aircraft (Fallout's Stingray Deluxe)
  • Toy aircraft (Airhogs)

Are original designs allowed/encouraged? I have designed and flown many of my own designs based on military aircraft, but never published my own drawings or artwork. Everything I've seen posted so far is artwork from some source or another. Does the subject have to have been published to the interweb or otherwise to be considered?

Responded in the other thread as well. As long as you share the artwork the design is based on, it meets the intent of the challenge.

So what do you have cookin' for us? :D