(2) Finish all balsa planes
(3) Finish plane plans
(4) Work on my low slow knife edges
(5) Crash less(more?)

Vimana89

Legendary member
I agree that "resolutions" is a loaded term. My rc goals this year:
1) Train, train, train, on the simulator
(already went from crashing everything quick to being able to fly the funjet on full throttle and do tons of 3d with the parkmaster in just one day!)
2) Build or buy a good proper trainer and fly it until I'm proficient with it
3) Complete and successfully fly a build of my own design(I have gotten one airborne, but did not have the experience to control it, or the best equipment to make controlling it easy)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Well....

This "SHOULD" be simple....

1) STOP buying stuff
2) Finish building already bought stuff
3) Fly more planks
4) learn to fly planks LOS mo much better

Already borked #1 on Tiny Whoop stuff and a 2WD Traxxas / so will try to make it an end goal for the year.

Cheers!
LitterBug

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
2) is done, went from 4 to 13.
5) is done, Tyro99 is build and ready for a free moment.
6) To be clear, let me make a list (for myself)
FTFC19 Fantasy Builds: VF-9 Basic build, Flying Submarine, Anime AF-X1, Logan X-stream6, Heaven's Spade Carrier, Heaven's Spade Sparrow, Heaven's spade Dragster,​
Devil's Dozen Mosquito,​
Build-ruary: Heaven's spade Dragster, FT SeaDuck (SB), FT-Storch (SB), 480mm KFm speed wing,​
Other Projects:
FoamyDM-Synergy Build, FoamyDM SIA-99 (90mm EDF viper style jet),FoamyDM Kalinin K-12, FoamyDM Vought OS2U - Kingfisher mini, Micro Spitfire, FoamyDM Spruce Gosling, Vought XF5U Flying Pancake, Lit FT Explorer, Mini Scout, RC Dragon. Lincoln Sport(For a friend), RC Dragonfly Ornithopter. Micro A-10 kit (30mmEDFs). Make a presentation ready copy of the FT BFC Card Game.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
2) is done, went from 4 to 13.
5) is done, Tyro99 is build and ready for a free moment.
6) To be clear, let me make a list (for myself)
FTFC19 Fantasy Builds: VF-9 Basic build, Flying Submarine, Anime AF-X1, Logan X-stream6, Heaven's Spade Carrier, Heaven's Spade Sparrow, Heaven's spade Dragster,​
Devil's Dozen Mosquito,​
Build-ruary: Heaven's spade Dragster, FT SeaDuck (SB), FT-Storch (SB), 480mm KFm speed wing,​
Other Projects:
FoamyDM-Synergy Build, FoamyDM SIA-99 (90mm EDF viper style jet),FoamyDM Kalinin K-12, FoamyDM Vought OS2U - Kingfisher mini, Micro Spitfire, FoamyDM Spruce Gosling, Vought XF5U Flying Pancake, Lit FT Explorer, Mini Scout, RC Dragon. Lincoln Sport(For a friend), RC Dragonfly Ornithopter. Micro A-10 kit (30mmEDFs). Make a presentation ready copy of the FT BFC Card Game.

You REALLY need to find a hobby to distract you from all that mate.. 😂

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
So a few RC/hobby things on my list for 2019

1. Finish and maiden my FW-42 project
2. Get to FliteFest
3. Fly every month (I'll count 1 hour of simulator time for this since I haven't even opened a sim program in 2018)
4. Build a biplane for my club's summer bipe contest
5. Learn to fly the Clubman pattern sequence.
6. Design and release a new plan to the forum.
7. Find someone in my club to take over as president for 2020.

Time for an update:

- Making steady progress

2. Get to FliteFest
- Bought tickets and told work and family I was taking the week off

3. Fly every month (I'll count 1 hour of simulator time for this since I haven't even opened a sim program in 2018)
- 2 very cold flights in January, and 3 equally cold and windy flights in February

- Trying to decide between the Gee Bee Dreamer and the Balsa USA Phaeton II that I have on the shelf

- Too darn cold so far. Might give this a try in the simulator though...

- I'll wait for the big summer challenge for this

- Not so optimistic on this one...

JennyC6

Elite member
Hah. My RC plate is quite full indeed.

* Nitro FT Spear project

* RC10B4.2 on carpet

* 3Racing FGX Evo F1 car on carpet

* More tinkering with my CA-10 scale truck

* Finish the CA-10's trailer

* Get FPV gear installed across my entire fleet(So far, CA-10, got two more sets of VTx/Cam en route so the Nitro Spear and one of my nitro surface cars will be next up)

* Hopefully convince my SC10GT to stop breaking diff bolts(I miiiiiiight have put too much engine in it but, heh, I'll work something out)

* Get, build, FPV a 1/7 Kyosho Scorpion XXL(Will be nitro, most likely OS 30VG powered)

* Do a 4 stroke surface nitro build(Perhaps the Scorpion? Perhaps the SC10 gets another engine swap? MCGP thumper? Iono yet)

* See how many FT aircraft I can run nitro. The minis should be fine on tiny little Cox powerplants, the bigger birds I'll have to weigh options on power for.

* Build at least one foamboard aircraft of my own design that flies.

* Hovercraft?

* Airboat?

* Find a waterway and build some naval vessels. I've always love RC boats but there's just nowhere around me that I can sail them. Also includes floatplanes, amphibious vehicles, and similar shenanigans.

* Perhaps make foamboard bodies for my surface vehicles? Cheaper than Lexan and if I crash the car itt'l hold deformation.

Yeaahh. Got a lot of plans, RC wise. And most of them involve internal combustion power. I love engines of all sizes and fuel sources, so most of my RC stuff revolves around them.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Not sure how I missed this thread for so long. I really only have a few:

• Get our RC Club Newsletter out (on time) each month
  • Attend SEFF & FFOH
  • Fly at least once a month
  • Keep the B-17 project on track for a summer 2020 maiden flight. I'd love to see her on her legs in 2019.
I wish Rockyboy good luck with finding someone else at our club to volunteer for President. It is a LOT of work. Since I joined the club the President has always been a guy with a day job and kids still at home. It would be a GREAT job for a recent retiree if we could convince one to step up.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
omeone else at our club to volunteer for President. It is a LOT of work. Since I joined the club the President has always been a guy with a day job and kids still at home. It would be a GREAT job for a recent retiree if we could convince one to step up.

Thanks - it also needs to be the right retiree to make sure we don't slide back down the quads vs. planks dark days...

Appreciate you keeping an eye out :D

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Thanks - it also needs to be the right retiree to make sure we don't slide back down the quads vs. planks dark days...

Appreciate you keeping an eye out :D

Agreed! I have something to run by you about that tonight. Not sure how it would play out or if it is even a good idea, but I have a thought. Is that vague enough :p:p:p

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Time for an update:

- Making steady progress

2. Get to FliteFest

- 2 very cold flights in January, and 3 equally cold and windy flights in February

- Trying to decide between the Gee Bee Dreamer and the Balsa USA Phaeton II that I have on the shelf

Cool - I didn't know we were going to do updates - kinda like a mid-year review. Okay

(1) complete the FTFC19 challenge - Done. Meets expectations (see 5)
(2) attend FF if it's within 8 hour drive - Looking good at this point. Provided I can maintain an average speed of 320mph, I should be able to make it to OH (not :()
(3) if (2) then bring a big build using the 4 x 10inch-4 blade props I bought last year (but did nothing with) - probably an 10-ish foot C-130. See (2)
(4) improve my pattern and 3D flying - No progress made.
(5) Design , build, fly, crash, repeat. - Continues to meet expectations.

Last edited:

JennyC6

Elite member
Hah. My RC plate is quite full indeed.

* Nitro FT Spear project

* RC10B4.2 on carpet

* 3Racing FGX Evo F1 car on carpet

* More tinkering with my CA-10 scale truck

* Finish the CA-10's trailer

* Get FPV gear installed across my entire fleet(So far, CA-10, got two more sets of VTx/Cam en route so the Nitro Spear and one of my nitro surface cars will be next up)

* Hopefully convince my SC10GT to stop breaking diff bolts(I miiiiiiight have put too much engine in it but, heh, I'll work something out)

* Get, build, FPV a 1/7 Kyosho Scorpion XXL(Will be nitro, most likely OS 30VG powered)

* Do a 4 stroke surface nitro build(Perhaps the Scorpion? Perhaps the SC10 gets another engine swap? MCGP thumper? Iono yet)

* See how many FT aircraft I can run nitro. The minis should be fine on tiny little Cox powerplants, the bigger birds I'll have to weigh options on power for.

* Build at least one foamboard aircraft of my own design that flies.

* Hovercraft?

* Airboat?

* Find a waterway and build some naval vessels. I've always love RC boats but there's just nowhere around me that I can sail them. Also includes floatplanes, amphibious vehicles, and similar shenanigans.

* Perhaps make foamboard bodies for my surface vehicles? Cheaper than Lexan and if I crash the car itt'l hold deformation.

Yeaahh. Got a lot of plans, RC wise. And most of them involve internal combustion power. I love engines of all sizes and fuel sources, so most of my RC stuff revolves around them.
Progress report on mine:

Minimal progress on the cars.

Nitro Spear project: Still waiting on FPV gear, have a minor fuel system issue to sort out, otherwise ready to fly. Goggles are in, DVR confirmed working, flying site chosen. Still tentative, but lookin' good for a March 1 or 2 Maiden.

Have built a foamboard flyer of my own design using scrap trimmings from the Spear. Flies great as a glider, prolly gonna use an eFlite 28mm EDF unit on it. Will be full 4 channel control, perhaps 5 if I decide to later on cut and bevel some flaps as well.

Already have my next nitro FT project in the mail: A mini Sportster. Gonna invert the engine on it so I can run FPV on it without oil-fouling the lens in <30 seconds. No ETA on when itt'l fly, though.

JennyC6

Elite member
Minor update on mine: Last week's weather was no good for a maiden. All the better, because my FPV gear showed up. Annoyingly, while the cameras worked perfectly, for the life of me I could not pick up a signal from the VTxs I bought! Ended up stealing the one from my CA-10 for the time being, so my Spear is fully FPV and good to go. Also, fuel system issues on it are sorted, both engines draw fuel just fine now.

Hopefully the weather's more cooperative this week! And if it feels underpowered, I have a smattering of 3 and 4 blade 5" diameter 4" pitch drone props sitting here. I know, I know, bad boi using electric props on ICE power. I figure, if they can survive the intense crashing that drones often shrug off(Makes most cars look fragile holy -beep-), they can survive being on a Cox 0.049. And it ain't like I have any other options, these 5x3x3 props I already have on it are the only multi-blade 5" props I can find that are made for ICE power.

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Time for an update:

- Making steady progress

2. Get to FliteFest

Time for the March update :D

- Only the nacelle cowls, balancing, battery hold downs left to be maiden ready - and the first nacelle cowl is stuck in the mold now!

2. Get to FliteFest
- Daughter's band was just invited to play local music festival on the Saturday of Flite Fest! :cool: So I'll only be coming up for the first part of the week, and driving home on Friday. Hooray I'll still be coming for setup and part of the fun! :D

- 3 for 3 - had a great time at a streamer combat session in early March

- Gee Bee Dreamer biplane build underway - wings and tail surfaces done, working on fuselage now

- Pulled out the call sheets - need to print a cheat sheet for my transmitter case

- Not optimistic on this one yet... president for life? o_O

Last edited: