2019 RC Resolutions

bracesport

Legendary member
reviewing my resolutions at the halfway mark.

1- learn to fly admirably - I can only say the flying is average to fair (too much building and not enough flying) - I need to borrow @rockyboy 's resolution to fly once a month!
2- build and launch a DLG that @flyboa would be proud of - the building is getting there on the v2 (this time it has the correct tail)!
3- slope soar with and without prop support and survive to tell the tales - the flat nose Versa and the DLG v1 are ready for the slope and I have found the mega launch site.
4- make a set of plans for a glider that someone else builds and likes - I have the Pheonix Hybrid and DLG v2 plans available but nobody that I know of has put their hand up to make one! YET!
5- have more fun - this part is on track - especially with a Spitfire build underway in Aug - one for the park and one for the slope! :p

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
3) Attend FliteFest East
Attended! With the boys
IMG_20190713_191727045.jpg

IMG_20190713_145316698_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20190713_213002785.jpg

JennyC6

Elite member
Hah. My RC plate is quite full indeed.

* Nitro FT Spear project

* RC10B4.2 on carpet

* 3Racing FGX Evo F1 car on carpet

* More tinkering with my CA-10 scale truck

* Finish the CA-10's trailer

* Get FPV gear installed across my entire fleet(So far, CA-10, got two more sets of VTx/Cam en route so the Nitro Spear and one of my nitro surface cars will be next up)

* Hopefully convince my SC10GT to stop breaking diff bolts(I miiiiiiight have put too much engine in it but, heh, I'll work something out)

* Get, build, FPV a 1/7 Kyosho Scorpion XXL(Will be nitro, most likely OS 30VG powered)

* Do a 4 stroke surface nitro build(Perhaps the Scorpion? Perhaps the SC10 gets another engine swap? MCGP thumper? Iono yet)

* See how many FT aircraft I can run nitro. The minis should be fine on tiny little Cox powerplants, the bigger birds I'll have to weigh options on power for.

* Build at least one foamboard aircraft of my own design that flies.

* Hovercraft?

* Airboat?

* Find a waterway and build some naval vessels. I've always love RC boats but there's just nowhere around me that I can sail them. Also includes floatplanes, amphibious vehicles, and similar shenanigans.

* Perhaps make foamboard bodies for my surface vehicles? Cheaper than Lexan and if I crash the car itt'l hold deformation.

Yeaahh. Got a lot of plans, RC wise. And most of them involve internal combustion power. I love engines of all sizes and fuel sources, so most of my RC stuff revolves around them.

Update time:

Nitro Spear: Tried to fly it, engines weren't cooperating, ended up robbing parts to get my NexSTAR airborne. Its starboard engine lives in my FT Commuter, its reciever, receiver pack, FPV system are in the NexSTAR. I'll get it in the air soon I swear....need some stronger engines for it.

RC10B4.2 and FGX Evo still untouched.

CA-10 trailer is done, but the CA-10 itself needs a LOT of electrical work. It still runs and drives but the FPV system, headlights, trailer lighting all got sucked into the driveshaft and ripped asunder x.x

My Traxxas Slayer is FPV'd! So I'm making progress on FPV'ing the fleet.

SC10GT is, so far anyway, holding fast. Haven't broken a diff bolt again. Here's hoping I can keep a diff in it, 'cause that thing is a riot.

Kyosho Scorpion is on hold; ended up picking up a Traxxas Slayer with a blown engine instead. GG. Slayer's a sweet rig, though, have it starting from the Tx, FPV, Reverse, with a Dynamite 19T engine in it now. Nitro surface FPV is so much fun you gotta try it someday!

I've located a mint-in-box OS FS-26C II. Still saving up to buy it, then I'll need to track down a few parts to convert it to the pull start version. and then I have to figure out what itt'l go into. Probably the Slayer, but I absolutely adore being able to start the engine from the transmitter so Iono. Too smol for the Mad Crusher, and I'm chuffed to bits at how the SC10 runs with its OS 18CV-RX. Decisions decisions...

I've successfully nitro converted and flown an FT Commuter! Even got nods of approval from none other than Ben Harber himself!

Making progress on my own scratchbuilt DTFB plane. WAAAYYYY back when I first built my Spear, I also built a tiny little 15" span jet out of the scrap foamboard. I've now secured a suitably microscopic EDF and some servos to power and control it with.

Minimal progress on a hovercraft or airboat, as well, no clue about where I might run RC watercraft in general.

I did build a DTFB body for my Slayer, though! It has a proper SCT body(IN fact the original Traxxas one, which remarkably enough is nearly pristine), but this body is incompatible with FPV due to blocking the view. So I built a bodyshell out of DTFB that'd allow for a useable view while keeping dust off the lense. Works a treat even if it looks a bit hacky.

Things not on my original list, but otherwise should have been: Get my NexSTAR in the air(It has flown twice! It's maiden was more or less done by another pilot but I did get stick time, flight two I was on the sticks takeoff-to-landing!), and I've taken on a restoration project. Bought a Midwest Aerostar 40 with an OS 40FP from my LHS, secondhand, for just 40 bucks. And I already have the then-siezed engine running like a swiss watch. I doubt she'll fly again until wintertime but I got the important bit working; it's just a matter of getting the dosh up for a receiver, receiver battery to put in it, make some covering repairs, and general light restoration work. And perhaps put FPV on it.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Update time!

Things in Green are complete or on track, and Red aren't happening.

1. Finish and maiden my FW-42 project
- Just need to balance, mount the batteries, and go fly!

2. Get to FliteFest
- I purchased tickets, joined the FliteLine crew, and made my packing list - but the wife's new job sent her on a trip that week and my daughter's band had their second paying gig on Saturday so the final choice was Family First.

3. Fly every month
- This is really my top priority of my 2019 resolutions, and I'm still on track with this! 85 flights including 12 crashes so far! :cool: The most flights are on the Dreamer biplane (11) and FT Simple Scout (9), and most flight time on the Wanderer powered glider (1 hour 8 minutes total) followed by the Dreamer at 44 minutes :D

Flights 20190810-110020.jpg

4. Build a biplane for my club's summer bipe contest
- Gee Bee Dreamer biplane built and used in the contest!! I had to leave early to take my wife to the airport and wasn't able to compete in all of the events, but she did great in the taxi races!

5. Learn to fly the Club Class pattern sequence.
- I'm working on this one, and that pesky "Straight Inverted Flight" is my next focus. I can do inverted for a short period with my Cuda, but that doesn't have landing gear and doesn't qualify. Going to start taking my Mountain Models EVA to the field more to practice this. I can do the rest of the maneuvers, and am working on getting them in the right order too.

6. Design and release a new plan to the forum.
- The big summer forum challenge is started, and I'll be doing the Clancy Aviation Speedy Bee for this!

7. Find someone in my club to take over as president for 2020.
- I just started up a Vintage Radio Control Society chapter at our club so there is more RC administration in my future, not less o_O But that's OK - I'm having fun with it, so I'm going to change this goal to instead "get club members more engaged to help out" with activities.

OliverW

Legendary member
Update time!

2. Get to FliteFest
- I purchased tickets, joined the FliteLine crew, and made my packing list - but the wife's new job sent her on a trip that week and my daughter's band had their second paying gig on Saturday so the final choice was Family First.

3. Fly every month
- This is really my top priority of my 2019 resolutions, and I'm still on track with this! 85 flights including 12 crashes so far! :cool: The most flights are on the Dreamer biplane (11) and FT Simple Scout (9), and most flight time on the Wanderer powered glider (1 hour 8 minutes total) followed by the Dreamer at 44 minutes :D

View attachment 139035

- Gee Bee Dreamer biplane built and used in the contest!! I had to leave early to take my wife to the airport and wasn't able to compete in all of the events, but she did great in the taxi races!

- I'm working on this one, and that pesky "Straight Inverted Flight" is my next focus. I can do inverted for a short period with my Cuda, but that doesn't have landing gear and doesn't qualify. Going to start taking my Mountain Models EVA to the field more to practice this. I can do the rest of the maneuvers, and am working on getting them in the right order too.

- The big summer forum challenge is started, and I'll be doing the Clancy Aviation Speedy Bee for this!

- I just started up a Vintage Radio Control Society chapter at our club so there is more RC administration in my future, not less o_O But that's OK - I'm having fun with it, so I'm going to change this goal to instead "get club members more engaged to help out" with activities.
Awesome! I recommend trying a S.P.A.D. combat league for your club! We are going to try that next year.

bracesport

Legendary member
reviewing my resolutions heading into spring (southern hemisphere)!

1- learn to fly admirably - actually no real progress since the last update (more building less flying).
2- build and launch a DLG that @flyboa would be proud of - my V2 DLG might just get there tomorrow - I have a day off, the family is at work or school, and the weather looks possible for a launch! :eek:
3- slope soar with and without prop support and survive to tell the tales - if the DLG misses out tomorrow it will be because of the wind, so an alternative might be the slope - I have the DLG v1, the Versa, and also have a Ridge Rat build underway as a homage to @thenated0g! :D
4- make a set of plans for a glider that someone else builds and likes - @Wildthing - made and launched my DLG design and broke it on launch (no video) and as far as I can tell he is quietly rebuilding for a v2 maiden! :LOL:
5- have more fun - this part is on track - especially with a Spitfire build nearing completion, and @buzzbomb in the air today!

Corbarrad

Boy, am I late to the party here..

Although I can at least Strike some articles off the list already:
  1. Flite Fest 2019
    • Get there early, build something before the event starts - got stuck in Newark for 24 hours:(, Luggage didn't arrive til tuesday night:mad:
    • At last have a plane finished by Friday - first Flight of My FT Alpha on Friday night, just before dusk
    • Get more than 2 batteries worth of flying in during the event - alright, I'm being generous here but I used both batteries twice and recharged them inbetween.
    • Night Flight - would have gotten more flights in if I hadn't desperately tried to retrofit the Alpha on saturday
    • Visit Edgewater and fly - I attended both the tuesday before and after the events, got a few good flights in, got to shoot the breeze with the FT crew, hit a tree, easily the highlight of the trip.(y)
  2. Design, build and Fly a DTFB plane
    • FTFC2020 - in progress
    • 40" DC-30 -on hold pending FTFC2020, was originally planned for Flite fest
  3. Build one of the numerous Multicopters I got just lying around since 2017
    • Josh Bixler gremlin
    • David Windestal Mini tricopter
  4. Get more flight time in than last year - already done. last year was pathetic...:confused:
  5. Ailerons on my FunMan - it's doing fine without, it's just -- I wants em!
  6. Use more Emojis - OK, that one I made up on the spot...

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Update time!

2. Get to FliteFest
- Nope.

3. Fly every month
- This is really my top priority of my 2019 resolutions, and I'm still on track with this! 113 flights including 14 crashes so far (two more this weekend!) :cool: The most flights are on the UMX Radian I took on vacation with me (17 sunset on the lake flights), the Dreamer biplane (14) and the EVA Sport and FT Simple Scout tied at 9. Most flight time on the UMX Radian (1 hour 20 minutes), Wanderer powered glider (1 hour 8 minutes) followed by the Dreamer at 54 minutes, but overall a total of 8 hours 14 minutes of flight time this year compared to 6 hours 8 minutes last year! :D

Flights 2019098-135118.jpg

- Done!

- I've been working on the inverted flight that is the hardest of the club class maneuvers for me, and getting much better! This weekend I spent some time on that, and on doing all the pieces of the sequence in order. Stall turns were really tricky with the cross wind, but I'm feeling good about this!

- The big summer forum challenge is started, and I started the Clancy Aviation Speedy Bee for this!

- There is some hope on this! A great candidate has been located, initial conversations are positive, and a couple board emeritus members are in favor. This just might happen! :D

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Time for the October update!

- Maybe this needs to be colored yellow.... I just need to balance, mount the batteries, and go fly, but she's buried so far back in my shop and behind so many house projects I haven't found the right time to assemble her in the yard to do the balancing (without triggering a spousal "that damn hobby" eruption!)

2. Get to FliteFest
- Nope.

3. Fly every month
- Still on track with this! 122 flights this year, including 15 crashes so far - almost 1 crash per month too! :cool: The most flights are still on the UMX Radian I took on vacation with me (17 sunset on the lake flights), the Dreamer biplane (14) but the NuBee moves into third place with 10 flights! Most time is on Wanderer I just sold at the club auction (1 hour 8 minutes) followed by the Dreamer at 54 minutes, but overall a total of 8 hours 46 minutes of flight time this year compared to 6 hours 8 minutes last year! :D

257498_f55171352d53228cc24e570d9b5aa042.png

- Done!

- Been making good progress on the inverted flight pass that is the hardest maneuver in the sequence for me - still need some more work memorizing the order. Actually need to start roping other folks at the field into being a caller for me to start getting some feedback and holding myself accountable to hitting the sequence.

- The big summer forum challenge is started, and I started the Clancy Aviation Speedy Bee for this - although I'm really bitten by the balsa bug recently and haven't done much work on it since starting.

- Hooray this is going to happen! The next president has been identified and will be formally nominated at the club meeting tonight! Vote happens in November, and then he takes over in December at our annual holiday banquet! :D

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
good prompt from @rockyboy (red, orange, green)

reviewing my resolutions at the 3/4 mark.

1- learn to fly admirably - I can not claim a win here yet - just not enough flying time through winter - but spring is here and @buzzbomb gave me the right kick (and inspiration) to get flying!
2- build and launch a DLG that @flyboa would be proud of - so close now - I built my V1 DLG and it was just too heavy and the tail was too short (and heavy) making a poor CG - the V2 is 90% complete and weighing in at 260g (without any CG correction weights) - so excited about this one!
3- slope soar with and without prop support and survive to tell the tales - Finally got to slope last weekend and man, what a rush - hooked!
4- make a set of plans for a glider that someone else builds and likes - @Wildthing and I are both building the DLG's - wildthing has also rebuilt his after a first launch crash, so we are both on the cusp of cracking this one!
5- have more fun - I recently bought an OTX Jumper T16 and the nerd side of me is having a ball with the programming - may need to hang up the FS 16s - I would also say the build side is fun and I have been building heaps - so yes, I am nailing the fun side!

Phil :D

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
I recently bought an OTX Jumper T16 and the nerd side of me is having a ball with the programming - may need to hang up the FS 16s
Hey Phil, I've been starting to think about upgrading from my old trusty FS-i6 transmitter and the Jumper caught my eye. There's hardly any compelling reason to leave the Flysky behind because of the airplanes I build. You seem to be at about the same skill level as me. What compelled you to buy a better (more complicated) transmitter?

Happy to report all my resolutions were kept.
(1) I joined the AMA.
(2) I joined the Keystone Radio Control Society.
I'm actually looking forward to the winter flying season. KRCS has access to a large hockey arena at Hershey Park during the winter. Probably half my airplanes built this year were picked out with flying them indoors in mind. People come here from other states to fly the indoor venue.
Jon

Jimun

Elite member
Goals:
  1. Land without crashing - more landing, less crashing
  2. Fly figure 8's without losing orientation.
  3. Master 3 channel flying and move up to 4 channel with sport wing on the Tiny Trainer
  4. Build and fly the FT Explorer and Simple cub.
  1. More landing and less crashing :LOL:
  2. Flying figure 8's, just not real pretty yet:LOL:
  3. Flying 4 channel, I like it better then 3 channel
  4. Built and flew the Explorer, had a lot of trouble till I got the CG right. Have not built the Simple Cub yet. But I did build a Master series Corsair. I really like the way it fly's. Had CG trouble in the beginning then got it to fly. I did have to put it back together a couple of times and now it is to messed up and I got a new speed build kit from my grand-kids for my birthday last week. And I am almost done with a Spitfire. Got some paint on it today. It might not be pretty but it will fly soon.

mayan

Legendary member
Revising and adding to my list.
1) finish off the ~5 FT planes that I want to fly and fly them.
DONE way more that 5 and here they are Mini Arrow, Charlie, Simple Scout, Mini Scout, Simple Soarer, Spitfire, DR-1, Edge 540, Master Series Corsair, Mini Sparrow, Simple Storch. And also a few none FT designs: KFM Wing by @Hai-Lee, A/F Easy Edge by @Headbang.

2) get at least 3 people into the hobby and have them fly with me.
Well I have found some flying buddies but don't consider that as bringing people into the hobby. I have tried to get my son hooked and he sort of is, sort of not. He enjoys flying qauds more than planes for now and I think it's mostly because that I let him fly alone and only help when he asks for help.

Forgot to add that to mine :)
Partly done. I have built a Mini Might Mini Tiny Trainer which is 75% down scale of the original but it still needs quite a lot of space to fly in. I think that on of the birds I can fly with very little space like a gym ATM is the DR-1 or a small drone that I have. Might get back to this project sometime.

Adding to my goals.
# Design my own FB aircraft. In the works with my Howard DGA-6 Mr. Mulligan project.
# Teach my son to fly RC planes. In the works got to put more attention to this.
# Learn to fly 3D. In the works with @Headbang 's A/F Easy Edge.

LONG TERM PROMISE: Always have my favortive planes to date in good flying conditions.

That's it I think this sums up my year. Apart from some goals that I have achieved I managed to learn a whole lot this year about aerodynamics, power setups, props, and how to fly different typed aircrafts; still have a lot to learn though :).

JennyC6

Elite member
Update time:

Nitro Spear: Tried to fly it, engines weren't cooperating, ended up robbing parts to get my NexSTAR airborne. Its starboard engine lives in my FT Commuter, its reciever, receiver pack, FPV system are in the NexSTAR. I'll get it in the air soon I swear....need some stronger engines for it.

RC10B4.2 and FGX Evo still untouched.

CA-10 trailer is done, but the CA-10 itself needs a LOT of electrical work. It still runs and drives but the FPV system, headlights, trailer lighting all got sucked into the driveshaft and ripped asunder x.x

My Traxxas Slayer is FPV'd! So I'm making progress on FPV'ing the fleet.

SC10GT is, so far anyway, holding fast. Haven't broken a diff bolt again. Here's hoping I can keep a diff in it, 'cause that thing is a riot.

Kyosho Scorpion is on hold; ended up picking up a Traxxas Slayer with a blown engine instead. GG. Slayer's a sweet rig, though, have it starting from the Tx, FPV, Reverse, with a Dynamite 19T engine in it now. Nitro surface FPV is so much fun you gotta try it someday!

I've located a mint-in-box OS FS-26C II. Still saving up to buy it, then I'll need to track down a few parts to convert it to the pull start version. and then I have to figure out what itt'l go into. Probably the Slayer, but I absolutely adore being able to start the engine from the transmitter so Iono. Too smol for the Mad Crusher, and I'm chuffed to bits at how the SC10 runs with its OS 18CV-RX. Decisions decisions...

I've successfully nitro converted and flown an FT Commuter! Even got nods of approval from none other than Ben Harber himself!

Making progress on my own scratchbuilt DTFB plane. WAAAYYYY back when I first built my Spear, I also built a tiny little 15" span jet out of the scrap foamboard. I've now secured a suitably microscopic EDF and some servos to power and control it with.

Minimal progress on a hovercraft or airboat, as well, no clue about where I might run RC watercraft in general.

I did build a DTFB body for my Slayer, though! It has a proper SCT body(IN fact the original Traxxas one, which remarkably enough is nearly pristine), but this body is incompatible with FPV due to blocking the view. So I built a bodyshell out of DTFB that'd allow for a useable view while keeping dust off the lense. Works a treat even if it looks a bit hacky.

Things not on my original list, but otherwise should have been: Get my NexSTAR in the air(It has flown twice! It's maiden was more or less done by another pilot but I did get stick time, flight two I was on the sticks takeoff-to-landing!), and I've taken on a restoration project. Bought a Midwest Aerostar 40 with an OS 40FP from my LHS, secondhand, for just 40 bucks. And I already have the then-siezed engine running like a swiss watch. I doubt she'll fly again until wintertime but I got the important bit working; it's just a matter of getting the dosh up for a receiver, receiver battery to put in it, make some covering repairs, and general light restoration work. And perhaps put FPV on it.
C6 Aviation progres report as of mid Oct:

* Nitro Spear, Nitro Mini Sportster, Nitro Commuter all in the hangar torn down to bare airframes. 2/3 were too weak to really be reliable fliers, the third groundlooped incessantly. Plans are, in order, to put an OS 40FP on, convert to tricycle gear/rebuild, and fit with Norvel 061 once that's reliable.

* NexSTAR is ol' faithful at this point. Has Magnum 52RFS on the nose. NEver lets me down.

* Aerostar 40 got re-maidened at FPVFest 2019 in the 2pm Saturday Gaggle. Flown once after that; ended in crash. Wing ripped entering a loop, lawndarted the fuse. In the shops, airframe repaired, gonna overhaul it before I try to fly it again. Stronger engine, redo the covering, reinforce the wing retention system.

* Currently doing a Nitro Alatus build(Enya 09 for power) and I'm getting the finishing touches in on a Sig Kadet EP-42 nitro conversion(Test flight scheduled soon!)

* Have an engine en-route for my next balsa plane; will be a Phoenix Models Typhoon. Another Magnum 52RFS is gonna power it and I'll be using a MAS 11-8-3 prop; will be FPV'ing this one too. this, and my Alatus, are gonna be my 'go fast turn hard' birds. Hopin' both will be good for at least 70MPH as-configured. In the future I may push my luck with regard to speed on both planes...Alatus will likely need a stronger engine as I'm already pushing the Enya 09 about as hard as it will suffer, the Typhoon might get an 11-9-2 or 11-10-2 prop instead of the 11-8-3 if I really want to push my luck with speed on it. That engine wants to turn around 9500-9800 on the ground but is generally happy if static peak is anything between 9k and 10k.

* Planning out a MS P-47 build still. Have an engine; ended up going 2-cycle on this after all. Got a Fox 45 RC from my LHS that was locked up; it now runs perfectly and swings a 10-5-3 prop at 13,500RPM all day long. Given that's 3.25kg of thrust and the MS P-47 is only supposed to weigh 1KG I should have vertical for days even if I go ham on the fancy features! Not sure if I want to do FPV on it or not, might do might not do. This engine shakes like there's no tomorrow, especially at idle, so it may not be practical to de-jello it enough. see it running here.

On the surface front, my CA-10 is totally dead right now. Blew the drive axle out at Edgewater. The only thing in my surface fleet in operable shape is my Slayer Pro right now.

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Time for the November update!

Things in Green are complete or on track, and Red are missed, and Yellow at risk of not happening.

- Maybe this needs to be colored yellow.... I just need to balance, mount the batteries, and go fly, but she's buried so far back in my shop and behind so many house projects I haven't found the right time to assemble her in the yard to do the balancing (without triggering a spousal "that damn hobby" eruption!)

2. Get to FliteFest
- Nope.

3. Fly every month
- Yes! Just one more month to go! 128 flights this year, no new crashes since October 5th. :cool: The most flights are still on the UMX Radian I took on vacation with 19, the Dreamer biplane at 14 and the NuBee in third place with 10 flights. Most time is on the Dreamer at 54 minutes, but overall a total of 9 hours 12 minutes of flight time this year compared to 6 hours 8 minutes last year! :D

Flights 20191116-182004.jpg

- Done!

- Been making good progress on the inverted flight pass that is the hardest maneuver in the sequence for me - still need some more work memorizing the order. Actually need to start roping other folks at the field into being a caller for me to start getting some feedback and holding myself accountable to hitting the sequence - that might be the goal for next year :D

- The big summer forum challenge is started, and I started the Clancy Aviation Speedy Bee for this - although I'm really bitten by the balsa bug recently and haven't done much work on it since starting.

- Hooray this is going to happen! The next president has been identified and official vote happens this Thursday to get him in. (y) He takes over in December at our annual holiday banquet and I stay on the board as the "Past President" for as long as he's in office to make sure there's a good transition and he's not left hanging in the wind. Pretty good system I think - worked well for me to have the experience of the previous guy to draw on for sure!

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
@TooJung2Die - sorry I missed this from you!

OTX is great (fully programmable) and I like my Jumper T16 @ $150 - why did I do it - I like the nerd factor, I can set up a full house glider with flaps (7ch), a big colour screen, and I can use heaps of different Rx's from other brands! Also, the initial programming can be done from your computer!

Actually, I have also used the FS-i6 and you will see that the Jumper is easier to navigate than that one!

Hey Phil, I've been starting to think about upgrading from my old trusty FS-i6 transmitter and the Jumper caught my eye. There's hardly any compelling reason to leave the Flysky behind because of the airplanes I build. You seem to be at about the same skill level as me. What compelled you to buy a better (more complicated) transmitter?

JennyC6

Elite member
C6 Aviation progres report as of mid Oct:

* Nitro Spear, Nitro Mini Sportster, Nitro Commuter all in the hangar torn down to bare airframes. 2/3 were too weak to really be reliable fliers, the third groundlooped incessantly. Plans are, in order, to put an OS 40FP on, convert to tricycle gear/rebuild, and fit with Norvel 061 once that's reliable.

* NexSTAR is ol' faithful at this point. Has Magnum 52RFS on the nose. NEver lets me down.

* Aerostar 40 got re-maidened at FPVFest 2019 in the 2pm Saturday Gaggle. Flown once after that; ended in crash. Wing ripped entering a loop, lawndarted the fuse. In the shops, airframe repaired, gonna overhaul it before I try to fly it again. Stronger engine, redo the covering, reinforce the wing retention system.

* Currently doing a Nitro Alatus build(Enya 09 for power) and I'm getting the finishing touches in on a Sig Kadet EP-42 nitro conversion(Test flight scheduled soon!)

* Have an engine en-route for my next balsa plane; will be a Phoenix Models Typhoon. Another Magnum 52RFS is gonna power it and I'll be using a MAS 11-8-3 prop; will be FPV'ing this one too. this, and my Alatus, are gonna be my 'go fast turn hard' birds. Hopin' both will be good for at least 70MPH as-configured. In the future I may push my luck with regard to speed on both planes...Alatus will likely need a stronger engine as I'm already pushing the Enya 09 about as hard as it will suffer, the Typhoon might get an 11-9-2 or 11-10-2 prop instead of the 11-8-3 if I really want to push my luck with speed on it. That engine wants to turn around 9500-9800 on the ground but is generally happy if static peak is anything between 9k and 10k.

* Planning out a MS P-47 build still. Have an engine; ended up going 2-cycle on this after all. Got a Fox 45 RC from my LHS that was locked up; it now runs perfectly and swings a 10-5-3 prop at 13,500RPM all day long. Given that's 3.25kg of thrust and the MS P-47 is only supposed to weigh 1KG I should have vertical for days even if I go ham on the fancy features! Not sure if I want to do FPV on it or not, might do might not do. This engine shakes like there's no tomorrow, especially at idle, so it may not be practical to de-jello it enough. see it running here.

On the surface front, my CA-10 is totally dead right now. Blew the drive axle out at Edgewater. The only thing in my surface fleet in operable shape is my Slayer Pro right now.

* Nitro DTFB planes still on hold for now. Will be ordering the P-47 kits in the next couple weeks methinks.

* Have a backorder in on the Phoenix Typhoon and its engine is tuned in, ready to go on the airframe once the airframe arrives. See Appendix A for video of engine running.

* Have a large batch of parts inbound for the CA-10. Need my surface fleet operational again.

* Scored another used plane at my LHS that needs maidened, see Appendix B.

* Nitro Alatus is complete, but needs maidened.

* Nitro converted Kadet flew once. Was excessively tailheavy but survived its trip, balance has been re-done, should be fine now. Need to re-re-maiden it.

* Have begun work on a Saito FA-45 powered 1.8 Skyhunter.

Appendix A:

Appendix B:
unknown.png

Another one of my cheap LHS finds that I've resurrected. Webra 28 on the nose, 8-6 MAS at 16k RPM. Numbers say she'll do 90+. Big departure from the 20-30 my trainer'll do!

Hopefully I get a window to re-maiden 'er soon. If that goes well, flight two will be belted WFO the entire time.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
22 more days and I would have fulfilled my new years resolution to not make, keep, or follow any set plans. Its been hard to do and I have struggled with it but I THINK I can hold out for a few more days. With winter here and no flight time I nap more so that makes it a little easier to carry on.

Wish me luck. If I do this it will be the first thing I have succeeded in this year unhindered by Bills Law!!!!