2020 RC Resolutions

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I had a lot of fun keeping in touch with everyone's RC New Years Resolutions (or goals if you boycott resolutions like @PsyBorg :p) in the 2019 thread and I felt like it helped me sort out what was important to me too. So let's do this again!

Share your RC resolutions for 2020 - and then we can come check in with each other through the year and encourage each other to spend our hobby time on the things that make us happiest and give us that great feeling of accomplishment!

So in that spirit, here are my 2020 RC Resolutions...

1) Fly more - still in all 12 months! I did make at least a couple flights in all 12 months last year. This year's goal is to do that again - but increase total flights & flight time. If I don't fly more, I won't get better at flying :D

2) Become more proficient at the AMA Club Class pattern sequence and be able to complete the whole thing in order! Last year I learned to do each of the maneuvers in the sequence, but I haven't completed the whole sequence in order without an extra pass thrown in, or missed completion of a maneuver. Lack of a caller was holding me back but I programmed a LUA script in my transmitter to be my caller so I'm self-sufficient now! Just need to put in the practice time!

3) Build a motor-glider for summer club event. Last year's "build something for a club event plane" was a biplane, this year it's going to be a vintage motor glider. Have a few options to choose from here, but will probably be the House of Balsa Nomad or the ACE Guppy since I have those both on hand.

4) Get to one RC event outside of my own club's activities. As much as I love FliteFest, every year the schedule seems to conflict with an annual big-deal music event for my daughter, so I'm not going to commit myself to FliteFest until she is off to college in a couple years. Instead, I'm going to try and make SEFF or VA Beach Dawn Patrol or the big Delaware Vintage meet or the annual Farm Club Float Fly or some other regional fly-in. If FliteFest happens that's awesome - but I'm not pinning all my event plans on it.

5) Finish and Maiden the long neglected FW-42 Monster build. If I can make it to SEFF, that might be a fun place to do it... this beast is taking up so much space in my shop I really need to fly her or crash her - can't just let her stand in the corner shaming me

6) Fly a helicopter! I've been heli-curious for a while, and my family got me a really cool Magnum PI scale body for a 600 class chopper. So now I need to find a used Trex or Chaos 600 to stick it on, and get some simulator time under my belt!

So what are your RC resolutions (or goals) for this year?

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
OK OK... I see your gonna pester me and play the enabler role yet again... o_O

1. Decide to make a resolution list.

2. Make Resolution list.

3. Realize I have already completed two things which is more then I have in many years. (how good am I and the year hasnt even begun yet) :ROFLMAO:

4. Fly more.. that should be on everyones list at the very top.

5. Focus on getting better as a pilot by always having some sort of structure (to be determined) instead of just going out randomly doing things to keep busy or entertained.

6. Fly a darn fixed wing for a whole pack. That WILL happen this year if I have to pull it around the darn field on a string like a kite with the prop idling.

7 Build a Balsa plane or three. The Willies kits are reasonably priced and can be snuck in between rounds of parts orders to keep the quads in the air. Always did enjoy working with wood as well as model building. Perhaps even do a more intricate kit later in the year.

8. Get out to Edgewater at some point where I would be able to fly and socialize a bit but not in such a hectic environment like Flite Fest. (anyone got a bus schedule handy? :LOL:) Probably wont do another Flite Fest as the structure for FPV quad flying frankly sucks if you arent into sitting in line at the Multigp tent. So many people on the flight line for fixed wing would be too distracting for me to learn how to fly I think so that would be out until better skills and confidence is in play.

9. Finish one of the many half started ideas I have for either an fpv hover craft or fpv ground effect vehicle.

10. Do the repairs on my Nitro Franken truck so I have something different to rip around FPV to do.

11. Realize most of this probably wont happen.

Last edited:

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
- I definitely need to fly more this year, I only got out twice in 2019. I also need to get my surface vehicles out, none of that stuff moved at all this year.

- rebuild the Mini-Tri. I've had the parts for well over a year, sadly it's just been collecting dust.

- fix and fly my big nitro Cub. It's only been up twice and dead sticked on me both times.

- start by first balsa build. Maybe over this winter... Seems every time I clear out a space for it more junk moves in ;)

Overly ambitious? Maybe, but the motivation has been creeping back in lately :)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
#1 is always Fly more for sure!

#1.5 Get up to Edgewater

#2 Get proficient at LOS wing flying (I crashed a few times this year(2019) at least

#3 Put some flights up against some 78rpm records

#4 Finish getting that office/build area cleaned up and set up. (more likely to happen now since I need it for remote work)

#5 finish all these dang half started builds

#6 Give away some of my old flyers (maybe do something like a win LitterBug's junk)

Cheers!
LitterBug

MODIFIED: Add 78rpm records

Another mod: add EDGEWATER!

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Well it seems that I have a few different resolutions compared to the others that have posted so far.

1. Fly less and build more! - It seems that 20 to 30 flights a week consumes a lot of time and my aircraft are suffering from neglect.
2. Bring all of my hangar aircraft to as new condition and fully ready to fly. - I tend to borrow props, motors, Etc from my hangar to maintain other club members aircraft.
3. Buy a Spektrum DX6 G3 to broaden my teaching abilities. I teach on my own radios at the moment and it would be easier if I could just buddy box with those that purchase their own Spektrum radio, (Note the G3 uses transmit antenna diversity).
4. Tool up for faster and more accurate building of balsa and FB models.
5. Design, build, Test fly and give away 3 models each month - I use the fellow club members as market research.
6. Fulfill my wholesale orders on time and profitably.
7. Build up my inventory stock of parts. This is so I do not need to rob the planes in my hangar for urgently needed parts.

Well 7 is enough to attempt when you consider that last years resolutions are also carried forward!

If I manage to get half of them done I will be a lot better off and very happy!

Have a happy new year and may you resolutions all be easily completed!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Well, since I completely failed last year, I’m going to go easy on myself this year.
1. Fly more
2. Build 1 plane and fly it
3. Make plans for 1 plane

This seems really easy, but I’m still working on building faster. Also, I really have to enlarge my fleet, I have crashed a lot more than expected over the last couple of months and I only have a couple flyable planes.

OliverW

Legendary member
My goals are pretty high.... well one at least.
1. Fly the Basic IMAC routine and NOT get in last place
2. Complete 1st in my Freestyle routine timed to music (Self-Esteem by the Offspring)
3. Finish my ultimate biplane for our clubs winter build challenge.
(4.) (maybe) start my topflite cessna 182 for next years winter build off

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Here were my goals from 2019
1 Fly as much as I can, build as much as I can & crash as little as possible.
2 Teach as many to fly as I can.
3 Enjoy my friends, both new & old.

Here are the results
1 Flew a lot, built 5-6 planes, still crashed too much
2 Help many with their first flight @ FF19
3 Met many new friends, had a few old friends move away. Had a good time with all of them.

For 2020, I'm going to repeat the 2019 goals & add one, build a needle cutter.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i hate making goals but since i'm here...

1. i would say fly more, but i already fly at least 1x per week and sometimes as many as 4x's. so instead i will say when i do fly, to fly with purpose. ie- work on something every flight, knife edges front and back, left and right, inverted as low as you can go, ...

2. this kinda goes with #1 but i will learn a rolling harrier by years end

3. build and learn to fly a 4D airplane

4. organize my Tx and number all my planes so i can find them

5. build a large scale aircraft

6. clean the garage, insulate it, and move my hangar, build area, and 3D printers outside

we will see. :LOL:

laters,

me :cool:

Bricks

Master member
One of my goals for 2019 was to get rolling harriers down still not close.

Get some of my bigger planes out, I usually fly at the field once a week but I am working and only have room for smaller foamies so I stop by to fly. Make a point to get to the field on Saturdays or Sundays so I can take some of my bigger stuff.

I have 11 planes gassers and nitros that I need to get receivers in and go thru the batteries and fuel systems so they will be ready to go along with the 40 planes and quads already in my DX9.

Have 2 30% Cubs that need some TLC really want to get at least one of those out and flying never flown any thing that big before, X X that`s a cross your fingers. Crash one of those and there is one heck of a pile of balsa.

Get better at Tiny Whoop racing, it is so much fun it should not be that hard to do.

Maybe build a Toothpick quad.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
What a perfect thread to come back and see after not being here for almost six months lol.

1. Fly sometime this year (Flite Fest not included) This is really easy but but last year I probably only flew a handful of times and only flew twice at FF and one of those times was for the airshow.
  2. Build a plane. I know this is also a stupid easy goal but last year I don't remember building any planes other than the one I made for the airshow.
  3. Start making youtube videos again. I really do miss making youtube videos and I am more prepared than ever to make them. It is simply a lack of time and for a while they started to feel like a job, which is why I stopped and haven't even started editing my FF19 videos yet. I might do that as my first goal. (Better late than never) Maybe its just a tradition of mine to release late FF videos since I didn't edit my last ones until January or so lol

Vimana89

Legendary member
My 2020 goals/resolutions/whatever you want to call them:

1.) Continue the push into 4ch territory and learn different styles of planes on 4ch proficiently.
2.) design/build/fly an EDF jet
3.) Learn to fly better and include more techniques, such as getting better at inverted, 3d, ETC., or learn a new maneuver such as knife edge.
4.) try my hand at software for making plans
5.) attempt a twin engine design with differential thrust
6.) Get a bit better at video editing/commentary/music/etc.
7.)Check out the local club
8.) Continue to improve my knowledge/skills at maintaining and maximizing my gear and supplies
9.) Try new things

kilroy07

Legendary member
Another year...
Looking back I didn't do too bad with my goals for 2019.

So 2020-

1.) Fly once a month. Sometimes with my schedule that might be more of a challenge than it might seem.

2.) Finish ALL my "current" projects.... (you know... before starting like 10 others!) :rolleyes:
SR-71 (This one is close, but will probably carry over into early 2020 as I polish up the design.)
Horizon Osprey rebuild
Super secret Kraken build (look for it at FF 2020.)
Firebird Stratus update (brush-less conversion)
Swordfish 2, no I haven't forgotten you... You were just too big a bite to chew with my current level of experience.
My mini B-36 should also be listed (Just to keep me honest!)

3.) 3D printed planes. @localfiend 's Nothern pike, Eclipson Black wing and 3DLabPrint's PT-17.... (Awe, crud... they've got a B-25 now?!!)

4.) Get @PsyBorg to FF 2020. Yea man, I'm looking at you! ;)

5.) Master Series Mustang. Nuff said.

There's more, but I should probably keep this list realistic.

Wish me luck.... Or pray... (Praying would probably be more effective!) :LOL:

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
I didn't make any last year, I guess I'll give it a shot for 2020.

1. Fly at least 3 times per month! I flew once(maybe twice) this past summer, and of course I decide to start flying more just before winter - Isn't that amazing??

2. Design and build a micro plane for my old WLtoys F949 electronics.

3. Don't crash!:censored:

4. Buy or build a aerobatic airplane and start learning some a aerobatics.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Another year...
Looking back I didn't do too bad with my goals for 2019.

So 2020-

1.) Fly once a month. Sometimes with my schedule that might be more of a challenge than it might seem.

2.) Finish ALL my "current" projects.... (you know... before starting like 10 others!) :rolleyes:
SR-71 (This one is close, but will probably carry over into early 2020 as I polish up the design.)
Horizon Osprey rebuild
Super secret Kraken build (look for it at FF 2020.)
Firebird Stratus update (brush-less conversion)
Swordfish 2, no I haven't forgotten you... You were just too big a bite to chew with my current level of experience.
My mini B-36 should also be listed (Just to keep me honest!)

3.) 3D printed planes. @localfiend 's Nothern pike, Eclipson Black wing and 3DLabPrint's PT-17.... (Awe, crud... they've got a B-25 now?!!)

4.) Get @PsyBorg to FF 2020. Yea man, I'm looking at you! ;)

5.) Master Series Mustang. Nuff said.

There's more, but I should probably keep this list realistic.

Wish me luck.... Or pray... (Praying would probably be more effective!) :LOL:

Great list mate but I would say go and mark #4 in red now. Thats a VERY low probability. After FF18 I am not sure I can handle that many people again. I am however planning to do the bus thing out to Edgewater at some point maybe we could coordinate a meet that way for anyone who might wanna play with me or slap me in the head for being a mind numbingly annoying nutbag.

bracesport

Legendary member
Flying
In 2019 I made a switch to focus on slope soaring - the windy days outnumber the calm days and the coastline outnumbers the flat fields in my neck of the woods - nevertheless, I am keen to do some park flying in 2020 - my Spitfire is still going strong which is a testament to the foamboard construction - I have sloped it a couple of times weighted up with ballast to 1.2kgs, but I will throw the prop on it in 2020 and give it a whirl!

1 - fly downwind legs on the slope - so far I have only attempted figure eights cautiously - our slope site has 'awesome' lift, but equally has more wind speed and is still quite scary - the cliff is 50m so there is lots of incentive to not crash - In 2019 I also met a couple of local pro fliers who are helping me get across the line!
2- land on the back of the slope - sounds easy and looks quite easy on Youtube, but there is lots of turbulent air to navigate and if you saw my Hybrid V video last time it all ended in tears very quickly!
3- get my damn DLG in the air - I am not sure why I haven't had this ship in the air - mostly it has been a lack of windless days in the spring, but it is all set up and balanced waiting for an early 2020 maiden - one of the guys I met is a DLG flier, so I hope to meet up with him to get some tips and see his DLG skills in action!
4- Prop fly something!

Building
Seems I got drawn into the non-FB builds in the second half of 2019 but I would still like to add something in FB in 2020 (maybe a Bushwacker)!

1- finish the projects on the bench - (all in my links) and build a composite wing for something - I also have a (Ridge Rat) pitcheron prototype on the bench and it looks exciting - this has got the creative juices flowing to design something sexy - I love the Jester V-tail and the Xica T-tail is pretty nice too - I will use these two as the inspiration for a new CF braided fuse over a 3D printed former.
2- renovate the 'fusion' V - it is an indestructible EPP slope soaring machine that was gifted to me from my new flying buddy @jonoashton and will help me improve the flying without worrying too much about crashing - it will be great fun to renovate this ship then get her in the air!
3- Balsa build - I am hoping to tag team build the slopemaster with @rockyboy - the slopemaster is a pretty cool looking wing and will be my first balsa build - the CAD is 90% complete, I just need to finalise all the 2D drawings and make a kit of it!

JennyC6

Elite member
C6 Aviation Q1 2020 roadmap:

* Branch out from trainers - Progress is good but it's all WIP. Got a biplane, got a wing, couple of low-wing pattern/sport ships, but none maidened yet.

* Build a nitro DTFB plane that actually works! - Prolly gonna get my Spear airborne at some point in 2020, FT P-47 powered by a Fox 45RC Ringed in the works.

* Fly inverted. - Got two planes that can do it for sure, a third possible. Just need to maiden them.

* Get my surface fleet operational again after FPVFest 2019 wrecked them all. - 2/4. CA-10 and Slayer Pro are running and driving again(CA-10 barely, Slayer Pro flawlessly). Mad Crusher GP and SC10GT still in the shop.

* Finish my 15" scratch build EDF plane. - Have EDF, have airframe.....

* Build and fly at least 3 warbirds. - Planning phase at the moment, currently looking at an FT P-47 build, a HobbyKing SBD Dauntless ARF, and perhaps I'll pick up a Kyosho GDF F-86 Sabre that my LHS has been unable to sell for months on end.

* Crest 70MPH with a 4-cycle powered model. - Tower Sport GP should be able to do this, we will see shortly~

* Crest 100MPH with a wet-fuel model. - I have one balsa bird that might do it if I do irresponsible things to the engine. We shall see. If that doesn't work I might do a nitro Arrow and shoot for a buck with that.

* Crest 70MPH with a surface model. - Likely going to be with my 1/10 electric F1 car since it's already designed with downforce in mind.

* Crest 70MPH via FPV. - Most likely to happen on the Tower Sport GP.

* Crest 100MPH with a 4-cycle engine. - Might push my luck with the Sport GP's Magnum 52?

* Crest 100MPH via FPV. - Gotta get a bird there first!

* Formation FPV fly with the guys flying Draks and Goblins at FPVFest. - Got two potential aircraft to do it with!

* Build a Nitro Limitless. - Maybe we shall see~