2020????

ACE62

I am not sure where to post this and if this is not the correct thread, please, by all means, move it.
With all of the current info being released in regards to the new rules with YouTube and the impact of the COPPA situation I was wondering how it will affect Flite Test and future build video, amongst other, video releases?
I normally don't like to talk about this stuff, however, from what I have heard it seems like it could potentially be detrimental to the mission of Flite Test. I just love what FT has and is doing in regards to help generating a hobby, bringing families together and building a community, which is why I am concerned.
Anyone who knows more and can comment, PLEAEE do so. Thank you in advance.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Welcome to the forums my friend. You bring up a decent question, kinda vague but a good question none the less. As I have been doing a little research on the subject myself I have only heard of COPPA a couple times, and I am not really to sure what they are and what they are trying to do. I do know what the governing bodies such as the FAA, AMA, CAZA, and other government departments from around the world, are looking to do with regulations. As far as I see it the only thing it will change for people already in the hobby is will make things more expensive as far as registrations and competency theoretical multiple choice testing, and discourage newcomers to enter into this great hobby over fear of possible persecution. If they are actually going to use an enforcement body to uphold the regulations, which would be surprising, then it will discourage some who are already in the hobby. But for most if this thing goes full swing, it will send people underground to be closet RC hobbyist's just like prohibition in the 1920's.

If you haven't yet there are some good channels on YT to look up and stay informed with Xjet or Micheal Rollins you could look at to get a bit more informed and a feel for what's going on. I won't go full blown into my opinion of it because this could end up being a novel and some might not like it because it is just and opinion, not into offending others unintentionally. For me I am just gonna keep doing what I am doing till I am thrown in the clink for doing what has been a safe hobby for the past 80 years and has never killed anybody, or done serious detrimental property damage. You risk more by riding a bicycle down the street or taking your dog for a walk.

ACE62

Thank you. I apologize if my explanation wasn't as clear and concise as intended. As far as I understand, in a nut shell, videos that are considered to be appealing to children, 12 and under are at risk to be removed and if the people who have put up these videos are non compliant, they are subject to hefty fines.
I am going to view videos specifically talking about this subject and do some web searching, but from what is being relayed is that there are attorneys out there that don't quite understand this.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Now I remember what to are referring to, your right I did watch a vid on this, sorry for my off topic monologue lol. Other underlying issues... that's another topic.

On all the vids I post I choose the "not intended for children" option every time. It covers your caboose with both hands so there can't be any repercussions in your direction. If a 12 year old kid chooses to watch a vid not intended for his/her appropriate age group and is logged in as an adult then that is good reason for you to be on the safe side. It is your responsibility to govern with discretion what you post as public but not who watches it. It is virtually impossible to know who exactly is watching your vids under the flawed umbrella of YouTube or other shared video sites. I would appalled to see anyone who posts a vid get thrown a hefty fine because some kid logged in under dad's account to watch inappropriate content. This would set precedence for an free for all to go in and scrutinize all other avenues of our flawed system of governing and regulations. Lets make them look like fools under their own element of false protection.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@BATTLEAXE thats a good idea to mark it not for kids. I can’t see how posting videos of me flying could be inappropriate, but who knows - some people are crazy...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It's all in the fine print. I had to read the options a couple times but the way it is worded is kind confusing. the option is whether it was MADE for kids, not whether it is ok for kids to watch. the first couple vids where I saw it I thought "yea kids could watch this" and chose that option. then a couple vids after I re read it and it seems to me that they are asking if kids are your intended audience, which although kids are safe to watch it. it isn't your intended audience. So to play it safe I went back and changed them to the adult option, this way you should be good.