2021 mini scout challenge!

Intashu

Elite member
I think I have everyone listed, but if not, don't hesitate to let me know.
I am officially throwing my glove into the Ring!

I started putting Balsa/basswood together on the plans. It's my first attempt to build with the stuff. I SHOULD be able to get a fly-able plane outta this. All I have currently is 1/16" basswood strips and a bit of superglue. I found some really convenient tissue-like paper to skin it with that is very light. After I build the chassis/frame I gotta see what I can source for wings.

I'm confident I won't have the lightest plane, but I'm totally on board the challenge of seeing just how light I can make a simple scout, and still have it be fly-able.

Attachments

• 20210115_103833.jpg
    20210115_103833.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Stress Test

Well ... Success?

I measured just the foam pattern ...

20210115_062049.jpg

6 grams on my admittedly not super duper kitchen scale.

I lovingly ironed, shaped, cut and formed said piece of foam, I cut windows in it and cover them back.

And the result is ....

20210115_080022.jpg

6 grams.

Ok, back to the drawing board. Maybe light paper to cover the holes... :unsure:

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member

I started putting Balsa/basswood together on the plans. It's my first attempt to build with the stuff. I SHOULD be able to get a fly-able plane outta this. All I have currently is 1/16" basswood strips and a bit of superglue. I found some really convenient tissue-like paper to skin it with that is very light. After I build the chassis/frame I gotta see what I can source for wings.

I'm confident I won't have the lightest plane, but I'm totally on board the challenge of seeing just how light I can make a simple scout, and still have it be fly-able.
I love the balsa framework for it! Can’t wait to see it built.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

Great! Sounds like you have some good ideas - you'll probably end up lighter than mine.

Stress Test

Still playing catch up and wondering if I have light materials I pulled out a board I got from Hobby lobby. Thick, slick poster board (almost) on each side and what looks like dense foam. It is however thinner than the Readiboard I am using.

Guess a weight, come on, guess, nope, ....

20210116_075220.jpg

Egads is the term your searching for.

So then I cut one out of some thin tri fold I got at Dollar Tree. Thinner, lighter?

20210116_075207.jpg

So I am going to stick with Readiboard as its the lightest I have.

I guess I decided, subconsciously, to build it as close to stock as possible and see how much weight I can shed using other materials and electronics.

Hot glue is quick, and convenient but its heavy, a half stick weighs 10 grams. White glue it strong and light when dry but requires some different building techniques. So I decided to ditch 98% of the hot glue.

I lined the fuselage seams with white glue and left space at the end for a dab of hot glue. I added 2 removable formers to keep it straight while it dries.

20210116_103214.jpg

20210116_100529.jpg

And the wing I popped in half like a hinge and sanded the angle. Then applied white glue and weighted it to hold it until it dries.

20210116_095628.jpg

The square drawing is where I had planned to window it but it doesn't save weight like I thought. I think the smaller motor (saved ~19g) shedding the plastic on the rx and trimming the glue weight down should get me maybe 30 - 35g off my original build. I am looking for another 15 to 20g .

I may miss my goal. :mad: But it should fly better than my current Scout! :)