2021 mini scout challenge!

Stress Test

Got my new motor and esc today. The motor is tiny, I should have gone for a 10 amp esc maybe it would be lighter...

20210120_174041.jpg

I cut a firewall out of 1/32 ply, stacked it all in the plane and weighed it.

20210120_202733.jpg

AND the result is ...........

20210120_202725.jpg

:unsure:

I guess its time for a diet, a serious diet. I need to lose 7 to 8 grams to make my personal goal. That will cover the control rods and horns and go sub 100 grams.

And it still needs a battery, all I have are 450 3s that will fit it. So many of you, or most of you will be lighter.

But if I drop 1/3 of the air frame weight from my other one it should fly slower and stay in the air! :)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Got my new motor and esc today. The motor is tiny, I should have gone for a 10 amp esc maybe it would be lighter...

View attachment 189806

I cut a firewall out of 1/32 ply, stacked it all in the plane and weighed it.

View attachment 189807

AND the result is ...........

View attachment 189808

:unsure:

I guess its time for a diet, a serious diet. I need to lose 7 to 8 grams to make my personal goal. That will cover the control rods and horns and go sub 100 grams.

And it still needs a battery, all I have are 450 3s that will fit it. So many of you, or most of you will be lighter.

But if I drop 1/3 of the air frame weight from my other one it should fly slower and stay in the air! :)
Man, so close! You could drop 6g by using an emax 12a esc. Here’s a little test I just did:
05FBC9FB-04F5-400F-944D-47DCDF26F82E.jpeg
81C754AD-306F-4CC1-8053-075AA8A32467.jpeg

Intashu

Elite member
Trim them wires short if you can solder too! a surprising amount of weight is just in excess cabling!

and remove the paper from the inside of the fuse and bottom of the wing too if you're really searching for weight savings!

I got my wings mocked up, one side skin is a little loose so I need to either re-skin it or tighten up the tissue paper... I can't glue the wing together outside of the fuse because of how fragile it is so I need to make a custom dihedral gauge(s) to set them correctly. Tonight I'll get the servo's mounted up and hopefully have a good idea what the final weight will be.. and then adjust accordingly when I find out it's too heavy I'm sure!

I genuinely think had I done the frame out of foam, cut the maximum out of it while still having it structurally hold together, it would have saved me some weight over the Basswood sticks I have (due to the volume of glue required to hold all the pieces together) But at what point am I splitting hairs and I don't got the time to build ANOTHER simple scout right now! I am working on the Viper EDF jet at the same time and I have a cartoon P-47 sitting in line to be built after I finish the jet..

I am beginning to think I have a problem... I may have too many planes! I'm up to 16 in flying condition while building 2 more and a 3rd in line waiting... (I won't even count the number I've retired, scrapped, totaled, and tossed!)

GliderFlyer

Elite member
I am beginning to think I have a problem... I may have too many planes! I'm up to 16 in flying condition while building 2 more and a 3rd in line waiting... (I won't even count the number I've retired, scrapped, totaled, and tossed!)

I always think "save it for a swap meet" but there haven't been many swap meets lately...

Samh

Elite member
I just built the wings on my Ultra ultra lightweight scout and they weigh 6g. Just a quick and dirty total using a coin scale. Once I get a gram scale I will get real weight on it, but 6g does seem pretty realistic for its weight. I am very pleased with that weight. I removed the paper on both sides and cut out most of the inside of the wing. I left around 3/8" of foam around the edge with 3/4" in the middle of the wing to get the crease. I then added light weight cling wrap on the top and used a hair dryer to get it nice and tight. I glued the cling wrap to the foam with a purple glue stick. I just have to wait overnight for the purple stuff to dry/ turn not white/clear. I think I am gonna do a similar method for the tail. Then on the fuse I am gonna remove as much foam as possible without making it structurally weak. I will get pictures as soon as I get my phone back

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I just built the wings on my Ultra ultra lightweight scout and they weigh 6g. Just a quick and dirty total using a coin scale. Once I get a gram scale I will get real weight on it, but 6g does seem pretty realistic for its weight. I am very pleased with that weight. I removed the paper on both sides and cut out most of the inside of the wing. I left around 3/8" of foam around the edge with 3/4" in the middle of the wing to get the crease. I then added light weight cling wrap on the top and used a hair dryer to get it nice and tight. I glued the cling wrap to the foam with a purple glue stick. I just have to wait overnight for the purple stuff to dry/ turn not white/clear. I think I am gonna do a similar method for the tail. Then on the fuse I am gonna remove as much foam as possible without making it structurally weak. I will get pictures as soon as I get my phone back
Awesome ideas!

Samh

Elite member
That looks great! I am gonna do somethin similar on the fuse but remove more foam and paper. You may want to cover the top of the wing with cling wrap.

Stress Test

That looks great! I am gonna do somethin similar on the fuse but remove more foam and paper. You may want to cover the top of the wing with cling wrap.

I'm thinking about glues and looking for different colored cling wrap while I travel. Or tissue paper.

If I see a hobby shop I may check on good, light covering material.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I'm thinking about glues and looking for different colored cling wrap while I travel. Or tissue paper.

If I see a hobby shop I may check on good, light covering material.
I think most of the coverings will be heavier then cling wrap, stronger but heavier. I would just make a stop at the grocery store and pick some up :)