2021 mini scout challenge!

mastermalpass

Elite member
Who’s to say everyone has to compete every month? Wait for a plane to come up that you want to build and get started, considering that each month is a new plane.

Oh of course! I don't intend to forbid more frequent challenges. I just think you might get less participants-per-challenge that way; a higher rate of people who'd like to take part, but time and resources don't favour them at that moment - possibly 'cause they're already engaged in another challenge.

Intashu

Elite member
While we're debating on who can build the most planes, I don't think they should count unless you actually finish them! If I could count every plane I half built, (or keep telling myself I'll finish EVENTUALLY) then I'd have built nearly 30 planes in 2020!

That being said, although I haven't even started I keep thinking about this challenge.. enough that I picked up a toy helicopter at the store the other day to cannibalize the motor and gearbox it uses to use in a mini scout. I also got some real thin slats of balsa.

I have 2 conclusions. I will either build an incredibly light scout that works better than expected...
OR more likely something that looks like a scout, but the second it leaves my hand to maiden it, turns into a small pile of firewood and kapton film.

In the spirit of trying to make it as light as possible I think I'm going with 2 channel. rudder/throttle. got to give it more throttle to achieve lift. Arguably it's still a functional scout, and still flies that way no? Or would you argue it needs to be 3 channel to be a true mini-scout.

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
I built this the other day. I got to paint it then put electronics in it.
5989E8DC-B376-41AA-BE3F-3BDD499E720D.jpeg

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
While we're debating on who can build the most planes, I don't think they should count unless you actually finish them! If I could count every plane I half built, (or keep telling myself I'll finish EVENTUALLY) then I'd have built nearly 30 planes in 2020!

That being said, although I haven't even started I keep thinking about this challenge.. enough that I picked up a toy helicopter at the store the other day to cannibalize the motor and gearbox it uses to use in a mini scout. I also got some real thin slats of balsa.

I have 2 conclusions. I will either build an incredibly light scout that works better than expected...
OR more likely something that looks like a scout, but the second it leaves my hand to maiden it, turns into a small pile of firewood and kapton film.

In the spirit of trying to make it as light as possible I think I'm going with 2 channel. rudder/throttle. got to give it more throttle to achieve lift. Arguably it's still a functional scout, and still flies that way no? Or would you argue it needs to be 3 channel to be a true mini-scout.
I think that a 2 channel should be fine. If you can make the thing out of balsa then removing an elevator should be ok I think.