• January 1st

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • EXTENSION

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I went with a dual elevator servo and a rudder pull pull set up. Made a servo tray and had to do some butchering of the airframe to make the elevators control rods work. Re enforced what was cut away from the airframe with some 1/8 balsa and satisfied with how this worked out.

View attachment 207018
How do you like those hs-645 servos? I bought a bunch from a guy getting rid of stuff for $20 but I haven’t used them yet.

cyclone3350

Master member
How do you like those hs-645 servos? I bought a bunch from a guy getting rid of stuff for $20 but I haven’t used them yet.

This is my first time using them myself. I bought 6 from a swap meet for cheap myself. They R very common and highly recommended from my club members. I am sure they will perform just fine. I normally use the Value Hobby HD LF 13 MG or the LF 20 MG. Those I can say, I have been very happy with.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
This is my first time using them myself. I bought 6 from a swap meet for cheap myself. They R very common and highly recommended from my club members. I am sure they will perform just fine. I normally use the Value Hobby HD LF 13 MG or the LF 20 MG. Those I can say, I have been very happy with.
That's what those are! I have some servos named power HDs that Im going to be using for my cub and I couldn't figure out where I got them from

cyclone3350

Master member
That's what those are! I have some servos named power HDs that Im going to be using for my cub and I couldn't figure out where I got them from

I have the HD 13 on my 77" Rascal knock off with a 6s E-flite power 52. It'll do every pattern trick in the book including knife edges like it is on rails. I put the 20's on the 110" 17lb Rascal wanna be and found it to be over kill.

Attachments

• IMG_3719 (002).JPG
    IMG_3719 (002).JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

JonQ

Hey, I've never worked with balsa planes before, so if you have please help me!

The plans don't include the shape of the windscreen, so how do I get it to fit correctly?
View attachment 206545
Get some plain paper and/or Manila folders and trial and error make a pattern. Cut it out and find out what you need to trim to get a perfect fit. Once you get the fit a good as you can, transfer that to your clear plastic or acetate sheet and then cut that out. You may need to add a little extra to the outline so it has somewhere for the glue to hold.

cyclone3350

Master member
Spent a fair amount trying to figure out how to get this Super Cub cowl on a J3. What was frustrating, was that this cowl wasn't true and square. I built these formers using a contour gauge to get the fuselage side shape and made it to keep the proper shape of the cowl.

IMG_4849.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4841.JPG
    IMG_4841.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4842.JPG
    IMG_4842.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4843.JPG
    IMG_4843.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4844.JPG
    IMG_4844.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4848.JPG
    IMG_4848.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4850.JPG
    IMG_4850.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

cyclone3350

Master member
Going to some detailing on the interior. Got the side panels cut from .020 polystyrene plastic. I am hoping the opaque white of the plastic will match the white Oratex covering. @ least this will save on some time on painting. I have vacuum formed parts from Dynamic Balsa to add some detail without having to do much fabrication. The next big adventure for today is to try and replicate the seats from factory drawings. Oh yeah, this sounds like fun. I have my Rosetta Stone book of profanities in every global language. I am sure I will use up all of the English words in the first 30 minutes.

IMG_4870.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4873.JPG
    IMG_4873.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4874.JPG
    IMG_4874.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4875.JPG
    IMG_4875.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4871.JPG
    IMG_4871.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Going to some detailing on the interior. Got the side panels cut from .020 polystyrene plastic. I am hoping the opaque white of the plastic will match the white Oratex covering. @ least this will save on some time on painting. I have vacuum formed parts from Dynamic Balsa to add some detail without having to do much fabrication. The next big adventure for today is to try and replicate the seats from factory drawings. Oh yeah, this sounds like fun. I have my Rosetta Stone book of profanities in every global language. I am sure I will use up all of the English words in the first 30 minutes.

View attachment 207472
Great now I'm going to have to start finishing interiors too :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It's coming along nicely, can't wait to see it skinned out. Great job my friend(y)(y)

quorneng

Master member
Still trying to achieve the video I am after but defeated at each turn.
First by the weather. As a big sub 250g it needs the right conditions = no wind!
First attempt. Perfect weather & flight but video did not record.
Second attempt weather not so kind , an almost immediate crash. Broke the motor mount.
NewMtrMnt.JPG

New printed motor mount and quite a bit of the cowling to rebuild.
Try again tomorrow.

cyclone3350

Master member
Still trying to achieve the video I am after but defeated at each turn.
First by the weather. As a big sub 250g it needs the right conditions = no wind!
First attempt. Perfect weather & flight but video did not record.
Second attempt weather not so kind , an almost immediate crash. Broke the motor mount.
View attachment 207534
New printed motor mount and quite a bit of the cowling to rebuild.
Try again tomorrow.

I have built quite a few of the sub 250gm myself. Flying on a calm day is everything. Sorry for your little mishap. Look like U should be in the air in no time. Looking forward to your video.

quorneng

Master member
I rushed ahead, repairs left un painted, as the weather over the UK is fairly calm (high pressure) at the moment but it won't last as some Atlantic fronts are on their way tomorrow.
So just managed to get a video done at 5 pm today. Fairly calm but still quite some thermal activity so the wind direction was anywhere it decided!
The grass is long so despite its large wheels its 'up elevator and full power' to get off but unfortunately it means the landing is always a 'nose over'. :eek:
Still no damage and the 3 minute flight only used about 25% of the capacity of its 1000 mAh 2s.
Just to show how old it is here is video of a flight I made in July 2013. o_O