2021 SeaPlane Design & Build Challenge!

Test Fly RC

Elite member
Oh! I just looked it up - Now I remember seeing you post that. Awesome! Does it have skis on it? If you could make it waterproof maybe it could get off the water as is! :D
Yes it does have skis on it!
But the props were too low and I'm pretty sure would hit the water.
That aiplane will have to rest in peace,:(
it was more than a year ago when I made that airplane.
On to a different design of a sea Vixen!;)
Probably with only one motor on the back maybe on the top or a edf or bdf style!

Test Fly RC

Elite member
I should be able to start building the Sea Vixen next week I already have part of the plans done!
Actually it's been more than a week sorry for the delay!
I've got to get some FT Foam Board and some plywood parts and maybe a F Pack! (I already have some electronics that should work, but I might want to try out a f pack)

cyclone3350

Master member
Just did an update on https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...lane-challenge-martin-xp6m-1-seamaster.67231/
Had to do a do over on the drawings , but now I feel like I am getting somewhere.
IMG_4649aa.jpg

OliverW

Legendary member
Hey Contestants - We have about a Month Left.
I hope everyone is doing Great, and each of you has an eye on this contest...

I keep getting distracted by inspirations.
I've just been distracted with school lately. Hopefully I can crank out a design once I'm out on thursday though

synjin

Elite member

cyclone3350

Master member
This is funny. I thought of doing something like this with one of my flying wing designs. Also, as I hadn't seen this thread before this morning, I was amused by the original challenge post being written like a lesson plan. Wish I had time to join in the fun.

When I took up this challenge, I was on a corporate extended covid-cation and thought I had the time. As soon as I put my hat in the ring, I got recalled to a grossly understaffed situation and now find myself home maybe 10 days a month. Maybe we should ask for an extension on the deadline. Unfortunately, that probably will not help me get one in before then. I do like @SquirrelTail idea of making a simplified version and hope he takes up the challenge. (y)

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
This is funny. I thought of doing something like this with one of my flying wing designs. Also, as I hadn't seen this thread before this morning, I was amused by the original challenge post being written like a lesson plan. Wish I had time to join in the fun.
It really isn't too late to start.

I set the deadline for FliteFest. However, If you will note, the prize is mostly bragging rights. so if you don't make the deadline, and keep working on the projects (like I hope you all do) it was the kick in the pants.
1623767869533.png

Some of us needed to either be inspired, get started or to make serious progress or for me... it drives me through the finish (sometimes).

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I was amused by the original challenge post being written like a lesson plan.
The first Challenge I decided to join was written up similarly. I have found that a "Hey wouldn't it be awesome" challenge are often interesting, but they tend not to be considered as serious. There is little effort put in to see it as worth putting time into.

I have found a challenge that outlines what specifically the goals are and clearly defining boundary conditions enough, gave me a focus, challenge and guidance to really propel me into it. The rubric tends to clarify the smaller issues, were questions come up. I want to lay it down, encourage folks, and have fun as a community of Fools enthusiastic hobbyists Participating in this challenge in their own ways

synjin

Elite member
The first Challenge I decided to join was written up similarly. I have found that a "Hey wouldn't it be awesome" challenge are often interesting, but they tend not to be considered as serious. There is little effort put in to see it as worth putting time into.

I have found a challenge that outlines what specifically the goals are and clearly defining boundary conditions enough, gave me a focus, challenge and guidance to really propel me into it. The rubric tends to clarify the smaller issues, were questions come up. I want to lay it down, encourage folks, and have fun as a community of Fools enthusiastic hobbyists Participating in this challenge in their own ways
I teach, so the write up looked like part of planning a unit.

leaded50

Legendary member
no problem for me. Seems like needs a hospital time anyway. (reason why got time build another plane)

Last edited: