2021 SeaPlane Design & Build Challenge!

Test Fly RC

Elite member
Hey Contestants - We have about a Month Left.
I hope everyone is doing Great, and each of you has an eye on this contest...

I keep getting distracted by inspirations.
I got more of my Sea Vixen Designed!
2021-06-17 09-24-08_Moment.jpg

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
OK... it doesn't look like there are any objections so far, and many need it. I will add an extension to August 31st.

DEADLINE EXTENDED TO AUGUST 31st. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THIS CHALLENGE COME JOIN

To those of us with that penchant, don't slack... just get it done. :)

"Back to work" - Mike Patey

cyclone3350

Master member
OK... it doesn't look like there are any objections so far, and many need it. I will add an extension to August 31st.

DEADLINE EXTENDED TO AUGUST 31st. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THIS CHALLENGE COME JOIN

(y)

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member

(y)

Scotto

Elite member
SeaSparrowhawk.jpg

I guess Ill join you guys. I was mowing around the pond the other day and thought it looked pretty inviting. I did not create this picture of the plane, but I did put the float on it. Im a little obsessed with this plane. It was a parasite plane from a zeppelin! I just think that is so cool and it looks good too. It was operated by the Navy but it never had a float, although it did operate a little off of a flat top ship, so it had rugged landing gear and a tail hook. But the wheels were not necessary most of the time when it was operating from the zeppelin, so they were taking them off inside the zeppelin mid flight and putting on a fuel tank. Anyway, I was thinking IF the program would not have ended tragically, maybe a float would have been developed for it that could go on and off as needed.
I made a plan for this already but it its not full "Master Series" style. More like half-aster style. So Im going to try to take it the rest of the way and if that goes ok I have another idea that hopefully is not a dis-aster style. Build thread link

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
View attachment 202259
I guess Ill join you guys. I was mowing around the pond the other day and thought it looked pretty inviting. I did not create this picture of the plane, but I did put the float on it. Im a little obsessed with this plane. It was a parasite plane from a zeppelin! I just think that is so cool and it looks good too. It was operated by the Navy but it never had a float, although it did operate a little off of a flat top ship, so it had rugged landing gear and a tail hook. But the wheels were not necessary most of the time when it was operating from the zeppelin, so they were taking them off inside the zeppelin mid flight and putting on a fuel tank. Anyway, I was thinking IF the program would not have ended tragically, maybe a float would have been developed for it that could go on and off as needed.
I made a plan for this already but it its not full "Master Series" style. More like half-aster style. So Im going to try to take it the rest of the way and if that goes ok I have another idea that hopefully is not a dis-aster style. Build thread link
haster style plane

synjin

Elite member
I'm hoping I have time for this challenge, and am thinking a Boeing-306-ish flying boat might be fun. I'm only going to go twin-motor instead of quad, and I think it needs sponsons for stability in the water. I'm also thinking the fuselage needs to be mostly blue foam and the wings foam board. Though I was thinking the flying wing with two pontoons pictured on page 2 of this thread as a twin would be fun. I either case I plan to use my modified KFm-7 wing and building off of that.

Of course, school is about to start and that gets busy herding a room full of 8, 9, and 10 year olds.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Im still in, was building mine to also be micro build. Not sure if thatll pan out so if i have to go bigger i will.

Scotto

Elite member
Finally tried @Dr. Looping Looie's Libelle on the water yesterday. I had kinda gave up on the idea because it is so heavy, but I finally figured Id just try it.
20210806_205435_1.gif

It works! The ground effect on landing was more than I expected. And it needs some chines to help it get going straight, but it was fun.

I told my wife that I flew it off the water and she asked "How does it take off without wheels?"
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: She immediately realized how dumb that sounded but still...