2022-2023 Winter Build Projects ***Official***

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Add upgrades to my 2WD Traxxas slash this winter. Busted it out today.... Literally. The left front knuckle snapped. Would love to use it as a glider tow just for fun.... Have monster/basher wheels on it and an alternate body kit in the works.

Upgraded to 3s capable brushless motor, which lead to the thrashing. I am forseeing MUCH breakage if I don't do a few upgrades to the suspension and drivetrain.
IMG_20221026_085924502.jpg

I fully believe it will be able to clear the creek jump at Edgewater with the current drivetrain! Only run it on the same 2s pack and it is noticably quicker. 3s, FPV, and high speed gearing will be a hoot!

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
After owning a carbon cub S2 for a few years I disovered foam board planes and have been trying to make one that works well. First I built a mini scout and it was horrible. I had 4 9 gram servos and on the maiden the second I powered the motor up it smoked and that was that.
View attachment 231358

Then I put in a new motor and it flew like a massive turd. Pretty much just a controlled crash, wouldnt stay in the air longer than 10 seconds before flopping to the floor. I built another one with 3 servos all crammed in the fuselage and it flew better but still was absolutely horrible. I had the COG correct, I am pretty sure the props I got from aliexpress are to blame here. They were super flimsy and didnt have much pull.
View attachment 231359
View attachment 231360
View attachment 231361

So I decided I am done messing with the scout and I want to make an F22, so I did. I also got some 5x4.3x3 props since I couldn't find any 6x4.5. These props are much stiffer and are supposedly polycarbonate.

View attachment 231362
View attachment 231363

This one flew fantastic for the 10 seconds it was in the air, then the LemonRX receiver cut out and the plane took a nose dive into the floor from 100ft up. I now have a spektrum AR620 to install and hopefull that will work fine, then I will build a fresh one. I also want to get a 2 vane prop instead of the 3 im currently using, but I cant find 6x4.5 anywhere.
try building a 125% Mini Scout. Those are the best there ever is!

RossFPV

Add upgrades to my 2WD Traxxas slash this winter. Busted it out today.... Literally. The left front knuckle snapped. Would love to use it as a glider tow just for fun.... Have monster/basher wheels on it and an alternate body kit in the works.

Upgraded to 3s capable brushless motor, which lead to the thrashing. I am forseeing MUCH breakage if I don't do a few upgrades to the suspension and drivetrain.
View attachment 231402

I fully believe it will be able to clear the creek jump at Edgewater with the current drivetrain! Only run it on the same 2s pack and it is noticably quicker. 3s, FPV, and high speed gearing will be a hoot!

Cheers!
LitterBug
That high speed with fpv could be really bumpy.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Can I still use the same electronics? Also is it as simple as setting my printer's scale to 125%?
yes use the same electronics, but make it 3ch. do it without the ailerons. it'll fly much better. some planes just don't require or want ailerons. To scale it up, let me just give you the plans. I have them made already. They will be uploaded here (I will edit the message)

MrMonoWheel

yes use the same electronics, but make it 3ch. do it without the ailerons. it'll fly much better. some planes just don't require or want ailerons. To scale it up, let me just give you the plans. I have them made already. They will be uploaded here (I will edit the message)
I do like being able to roll left and right instead of using rudder to turn, so im not sure the scout will do what im after. I took the mini F22 out today and it kicked ass. The 5x4x3 prop I have doesn't give it the best low speed performance but once it gets going its a speedy little plane!

FlyingTyger

Elite member
I do like being able to roll left and right instead of using rudder to turn, so im not sure the scout will do what im after. I took the mini F22 out today and it kicked ass. The 5x4x3 prop I have doesn't give it the best low speed performance but once it gets going its a speedy little plane!

In my experience, I found that using ailerons on an undercambered wing can be very wonky. I have gotten it to work, but had to modify the amount of curvature in the airfoil and the angle of the ailerons at neutral. Having them just follow the airfoil doesn't always work.
I'd recomend building it with the standard fold over style wing if you want ailerons. If you are concerned about weight, you can remove the paper. Or try a KfM style wing.

tomlogan1

Elite member
Hi,
Is anyone here experienced in scaling up plans? I am going to double the size of the FT Legacy, and I need to double the size of the plans to do that. If anyone can help, it would be very much appreciated. Have a great winter building!
Try Adobe Acrobat.

Hoomi

Master member
I'm finishing up my Flerken, after which I plan on starting on my FT Edge. That'll technically be my first Winter 2022-23 build.

Inq

Elite member
I'm new to hearing about FT. I think you all are fantastic. They have almost single-handedly gotten me attempting to re-enter the hobby. Thanks for all you (FT) do trying to keep this hobby alive!!!

NOAA says we're going to have a warm winter and I'm joining a very active, local club that has a 3-sided building with a wood stove. They tell me you just move your lawn chair in/out to find the sweet spot that you can stand. For me, with thin southern blood, mine will probably be on top of the stove.

Anyway... Winter projects...
  1. Finish CAD'ing up, building my Inq'd Trainer - https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/inqd-trainer.71134/ My main goal is to design a plane that would transition from a 2-servo (rudder/elevator) plane to a 3-servo aileron trainer by having variable dihedral.
  2. Continue my flight training - So far I've had 8 flight instructor backed up flights. He had me taking off and landing on my 4th flight and says I'm good to go.
  3. Inq'd F22 - This starts out as FT Mini F-22. https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/hybrid-mini-f-22-raptor.71083/ I use their excellent design for everything except the fuselage. This I wanted to replace with a 3D printed, semi-scale looking body. Basically, it is done. I'm just waiting for my flight skills to improve before taking it out. This is purely a cosmetic thing. Almost all parts are just slid into Stock slots. No hot glue. This way any surviving parts can be transferred to a whole new wing in case I try to plow with my F22.
  4. Inq'd DR1 - This starts out as an FT Mini DR1. I purchased their kit for this project as I'm trying to support them in my meager way. Again, it will be purely a cosmetic change. I'll use some 3D prints from this forum, Thingiverse and make my own including - Cowl, Engine, Pilot and machine guns.
  5. After that... I'll see. It'll depend on how many I can keep above ground level.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Had a failsafe on my Strix Stratosurfer while launching a few months ago which resulted in an unplanned landing.... It could probably be repaired, but I bought it used at the 2019 Flite Fest. It has been well used in the three years I have had it and was getting a little loose. It has made a few trips up to Edgewater as well as a couple AMA fields here in Central Ohio. Ordered a replacement Kit early September when ReadyMadeRC announced they had a shipload on the way. They finally came in and picked up my replacement yesterday. It got bumped up to the top of my winter build list since it has been my best all around FPV/LOS wing. Checked out all the Electronics from the old bird and need to pop them in today. Will update Ardupilot from 4.0.5 to the latest version 4.3.1.
IMG_20221115_200306_01.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

Taildragger

Legendary member
Had a failsafe on my Strix Stratosurfer while launching a few months ago which resulted in an unplanned landing.... It could probably be repaired, but I bought it used at the 2019 Flite Fest. It has been well used in the three years I have had it and was getting a little loose. It has made a few trips up to Edgewater as well as a couple AMA fields here in Central Ohio. Ordered a replacement Kit early September when ReadyMadeRC announced they had a shipload on the way. They finally came in and picked up my replacement yesterday. It got bumped up to the top of my winter build list since it has been my best all around FPV/LOS wing. Checked out all the Electronics from the old bird and need to pop them in today. Will update Ardupilot from 4.0.5 to the latest version 4.3.1.
View attachment 232221

Cheers!
LitterBug
"probably fixable"??
where's the damage? That pic looks like it just came out of the box :p

LitterBug

Techno Nut
My first thought opening up the post... What a cool charging method. Plug the nose in and it charges. :ROFLMAO::rolleyes:
That is the replacement "winter build". It is all new body/foam/servos. Reusing the Motor, Esc, RX, FC, GPS, FPV gear.

I will work on nose refueling.....

Some of the more obvious damage
IMG_20221116_101922250.jpg

Prop strike through right wing, missing piece of left wing, exploded motor pod, broken wood mount inside fuselage. (fuselage is bent up a bit). I may resurrect it as a LOS/RX only model.... who knows, but I wanted a solid build with fresh servos since the old one has seen a lot of use and abuse. It takes abuse "almost" as well as a FT Tiny Trainer. I don't think it could cartwheel down the field like the FT TT and go right back up in the air.

Last edited:

FishbonesAir

Good question 🤔 I need to get back to work on my Stinson Voyager.

My Mini Guinea is pretty dead. 😣 Fuselage body and vertical tail is the only thing still in fair condition. I'm debating whether to rebuild around those, or start something fresh with the electronics.

I keep pondering seaplanes, a Staggerwing, or who knows?

speedfix

The micro season is in full effect for me! When I’m not doing school work, I am either building or flying my micros.

Here’s what I want to accomplish this winter:
-Zombify my old inductrix switch to fpv
-Finish the 2.5m DIY foamy
-Laser cut and build the old timer micro 3D profile plane I’ve been designing
-Build 1-2 FT kits (I don’t know which ones yet)
-Not go insane waiting to fly my Eflite T28 1.1 I’m getting for cristmas :)

Cheers fellas

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I am DEEP into building a few of @AgentC 's EZ Bronco for winter indoor flying season. I've started a thread for my builds rather than cluttering his up further. https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/litterbugs-22-23-winter-build-of-agentcs-bronco.71320/

I have his V1.4 and V1.5 plans printed out and am about to start cuttting templates and foamboard.
Have the Electronics worked out to use a bunch of clearance brushed parts picked up on clearance over the years. His plans use the FT EZ Power packs (2ch & 3ch). the 2 channel pack is still available, but the 3 channel is not. Once I get the 2 channel flying, I'll work on the 3Channel setup, and possibly go for 4/5 channels adding ailerons.
EZBronco.png

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

jwhitacre

Currently converting an old Hobbyzone Super Cub to a little Stol bird. So far I'll be below original weight once finished.

Attachments

• 123_1.jpeg
    123_1.jpeg
    913.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221205_223627.jpg
    20221205_223627.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Bo123

Elite member
I should really do a large project sometime hmm……. My current build is a Scale foamboard ARS300.
6837BC76-CB1E-444E-AE62-2D0DD205F06B.jpeg

Just need the cowling to be designed n cad and printed. Gonna fly it soon, going to be a 30 degree on sunday so maybe then.

Reactions: Inq