2022 The Hangar RC Community Build-Off

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
A few weeks ago, four RC enthusiasts had the idea of organizing a community build contest. Thanks to Sam from The Hangar RC, the winners will recieve a laser cut kit of their design!

We would love to see YOU joining this epic contest!

You like to build airplanes and always dreamed about seeing your creation as a laser cut kit? Now is your chance to make this dream a reality while also coming together with the community in an epic RC plane design contest!

The 2022 Inaugural Hangar RC Community Build-Off is here to inspire your creativity and ingenuity. Your task is to design the coolest RC plane in the world. There are no limitations, except that it has to be built from a maximum of 4 sheets of foamboard to make sure that every contestant is working with similar material. To give both the crazy advanced and the simple, beginner friendly designs a chance at winning, we are running two categories, one for beginners, where easy building and flying are key and one for the pros where you can go nuts and show off your build skills. There will be two winners, one from each category.

After the submission deadline, all entries will be reviewed and the winners will be announced on YouTube. The winners will receive laser cut kits of their designs and, if they want, can make it an actual product in The Hangar RCs lineup. All proceeds from sales will be donated to youth organizations or RC clubs across the USA.

For more details regarding requirements, categories etc. check out http://www.thehangarrc.com/buildoff.

Feel free to post your ideas, progress, pictures and questions in this thread.

Let the contest begin!

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
A few weeks ago, four RC enthusiasts had the idea of organizing a community build contest. Thanks to Sam from The Hangar RC, the winners will recieve a laser cut kit of their design!

You like to build airplanes and always dreamed about seeing your creation as a laser cut kit? Now is your chance to make this dream a reality while also coming together with the community in an epic RC plane design contest!

The 2022 Inaugural Hangar RC Community Build-Off is here to inspire your creativity and ingenuity. Your task is to design the coolest RC plane in the world. There are no limitations, except that it has to be built from a maximum of 4 sheets of foamboard to make sure that every contestant is working with similar material. To give both the crazy advanced and the simple, beginner friendly designs a chance at winning, we are running two categories, one for beginners, where easy building and flying are key and one for the pros where you can go nuts and show off your build skills. There will be two winners, one from each category.

After the submission deadline, all entries will be reviewed and the winners will be announced on YouTube. The winners will receive laser cut kits of their designs and, if they want, can make it an actual product in The Hangar RCs lineup. All proceeds from sales will be donated to youth organizations or RC clubs across the USA.

For more details regarding requirements, categories etc. check out http://www.thehangarrc.com/buildoff.

Let the contest begin!
i'm in!!!!!
can i possibly do 2 entries??

FlyerInStyle

Elite member

Let the contest begin!
I have a question. I had the idea of making an expanding foam glider, so you can make the molds out of foam board, and then reuse them with expanding foam. would that count?

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
I have a question. I had the idea of making an expanding foam glider, so you can make the molds out of foam board, and then reuse them with expanding foam. would that count?
You can submit your design, but you would not be able to win, because a laser cut kit is not possible with this method. But I would love to see how your idea works out! And you could also make a normal foamboard version of your plane for the contest and then build the same plane with expansion foam.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
You can submit your design, but you would not be able to win, because a laser cut kit is not possible with this method. But I would love to see how your idea works out! And you could also make a normal foamboard version of your plane for the contest and then build the same plane with expansion foam.
The idea is the molds are made from dtfb, it can hold up so the laser cut stuff will be the molds. I just decided to use expanding foam, as it is much lighter and stronger, like epp, but easier to work with.

Tench745

Master member
I would submit something, but I have been short on inspiration lately. I would submit an older design, but that seems counter to the spirit of the contest. I'll let some ideas stew and look forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with!

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
yeah, I just realized htat it said the plane itself must be using a folds and b folds. also when is the deadline?

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
I would submit something, but I have been short on inspiration lately. I would submit an older design, but that seems counter to the spirit of the contest. I'll let some ideas stew and look forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with!
As long as its your own design, you can submit it. There is no limit to the time of creation.

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
do i have to make plans myself?
i usually just make a template that has the general shape but its more or less a guide not plans