2022 The Hangar RC Community Build-Off

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
1640790985244.png
i was think a wing with canards like this

Tench745

Master member
Does anyone have dimensions for a 2212 motor? All the dimensioned drawings I've found for 2212s look like this:
a20cf94d65.jpg

Which looks a lot more like a 2826 to me, so I don't believe it.

Taildragger

Legendary member
Does anyone have dimensions for a 2212 motor? All the dimensioned drawings I've found for 2212s look like this:
a20cf94d65.jpg

Let's see, how to explain this... umm
basically the 2212 is the measurement of the stator(?) (coils inside of the motor bell) so the outside of the motor is always bigger than what the motor size says, so those drawings probably are for a 2212, just the 22 and 12 measurements are for the coils inside, like this:
1640798921833.png

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
a20cf94d65.jpg

Every motor has different sized bells slightly, but if you are looking for cad stuff, the sketchpad online 3d warehouse has some 3d models that you can download

Tench745

Master member
Let's see, how to explain this... umm
basically the 2212 is the measurement of the stator(?) (coils inside of the motor bell) so the outside of the motor is always bigger than what the motor size says, so those drawings probably are for a 2212, just the 22 and 12 measurements are for the coils inside, like this:
View attachment 214571
I understand what you're saying. I don't get why my Turnigy 2826 has the same can dimensions then.

Tench745

Master member
Every motor has different sized bells slightly, but if you are looking for cad stuff, the sketchpad online 3d warehouse has some 3d models that you can download
I don't necessarily care about CAD anything. I just want to know how a 2212 compares to the motors I have so I can adjust plans if necessary.

Battery800

Elite member
A few weeks ago, four RC enthusiasts had the idea of organizing a community build contest. Thanks to Sam from The Hangar RC, the winners will recieve a laser cut kit of their design!

We would love to see YOU joining this epic contest!

You like to build airplanes and always dreamed about seeing your creation as a laser cut kit? Now is your chance to make this dream a reality while also coming together with the community in an epic RC plane design contest!

The 2022 Inaugural Hangar RC Community Build-Off is here to inspire your creativity and ingenuity. Your task is to design the coolest RC plane in the world. There are no limitations, except that it has to be built from a maximum of 4 sheets of foamboard to make sure that every contestant is working with similar material. To give both the crazy advanced and the simple, beginner friendly designs a chance at winning, we are running two categories, one for beginners, where easy building and flying are key and one for the pros where you can go nuts and show off your build skills. There will be two winners, one from each category.

After the submission deadline, all entries will be reviewed and the winners will be announced on YouTube. The winners will receive laser cut kits of their designs and, if they want, can make it an actual product in The Hangar RCs lineup. All proceeds from sales will be donated to youth organizations or RC clubs across the USA.

For more details regarding requirements, categories etc. check out http://www.thehangarrc.com/buildoff.

Feel free to post your ideas, progress, pictures and questions in this thread.

Let the contest begin!
Ok I am interested in giving this a go and making a master series twin otter. I can make the build, but how do I produce plans of it? Can I send in measurements or get some help?

Battery800

Elite member
Ok… Think of some cool planes I haven’t really seen in dtfb…
DHC-3 Otter
Il-2
XP-55 Ascender

I think my best bet is the XP-55 because I found some great plans… but I do need to find where it balances.

Battery800

Elite member
Ok. Even though I can make a twin I think I still want to do the xp-55. Am I allowed to have a wood spar?

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Ok. Even though I can make a twin I think I still want to do the xp-55. Am I allowed to have a wood spar?
I spoke with the other three organizers and they say its limited to one motor with a maximum stator diameter of 22mm and a maximum stator hight of 12mm. Anything smaller is allowed. Thant unfortunately means no twin engines. Im sorry but I can´t do anything about it. @FlyerInStyle you can still submit your Islander, it would just not be able to win. @Battery800 yes you can have wooden pieces, but try to keep it simple. Very nice choice of plane.

Battery800

Elite member
I spoke with the other three organizers and they say its limited to one motor with a maximum stator diameter of 22mm and a maximum stator hight of 12mm. Anything smaller is allowed. Thant unfortunately means no twin engines. Im sorry but I can´t do anything about it. @FlyerInStyle you can still submit your Islander, it would just not be able to win. @Battery800 yes you can have wooden pieces, but try to keep it simple. Very nice choice of plane.
Yep, I think I’m only gonna have two spar pieces like the ms spit