2022 The Hangar RC Community Build-Off

Bo123

Elite member
Are we allowed use balsa/ply plans and make them into a foamboard aircraft? making FB plans from them?

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I spoke with the other three organizers and they say its limited to one motor with a maximum stator diameter of 22mm and a maximum stator hight of 12mm. Anything smaller is allowed. Thant unfortunately means no twin engines. Im sorry but I can´t do anything about it. @FlyerInStyle you can still submit your Islander, it would just not be able to win. @Battery800 yes you can have wooden pieces, but try to keep it simple. Very nice choice of plane.
ok. I will submit my design. sad that no twins are allowed, as I have found that twins fly much better and can look nicer than single engine planes. Just a question, where did the single engine base come from? I will make a seperate thread on it

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
ok. I will submit my design. sad that no twins are allowed, as I have found that twins fly much better and can look nicer than single engine planes. Just a question, where did the single engine base come from? I will make a seperate thread on it
I think the idea was that everyone is working with the same material. This challenge should be for single engine planes, and there might be one exclusively for multi engine, soarer etc. in the future.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
FYI - I tried to make a thread over on the HangarRC's Flight-deck it wouldn't have it.

FoamyDM

The idea is the molds are made from dtfb, it can hold up so the laser cut stuff will be the molds. I just decided to use expanding foam, as it is much lighter and stronger, like epp, but easier to work with.
So you would like the DTFB Mold to be "kitted"? Sounds VERY interesting! I'll be paying attention.

FoamyDM

This motor here is the suggested motor. It is one that www.theHANGARRC.com carries in stock. So when it gets kitted, a purchaser can order all the parts from one spot.

It swings an 8x6 or 9x4.5 prop. or a 7x4x3 They are limited to 3s. The thrust is around 1kg

I hope this helps some folks here, below is something similar, from Banggood:
XXD A2212 2212 1400KV KV1400 Motor+30A ESC+8060 Prop Blade Propeller RC Power System Combo for RC Drone Airplane Support 2s-4s
ESC Features
Ultra-low internal resistance​
Super stable and accurate throttle linear​
Overtemperature protection​
Support high speed motor​
Power protection device can avoid the motor accidently running after power on.​
New advanced programming software.​
Auto switch off when it loses signal​
Specification
ESC
Brand Name : HTIRC​
Item Name : 30A Brushless ESC​
Continue current : 30A​
Recommanded lipo : 2-4S Lipo / 5-12NC​
Size : 30 * 24 * 8.5mm​
Weight : 33g​
MOTOR
Brand Name:XXD​
Item NO.: XXD A2212​
KV: KV1400​
Size:27.8 x 27mm​
Shaft Dia.:3.17 mm​
LiPo:2-4s LiPo​
Efficiency :80%​
Current :4-10A(efficiency >75%)​
Non-load current:10 v / 0.4 a​
Max Instantaneous current:12/60 times​
Propeller : 8060​
In the situation of 3S 11.1V power supply, how to choose a propeller properly for 2212 motor:
Recommanded
1000KV with 1060/9050 prop : forward-pull trainer​
1400KV with 9050/8040/8060 : forward-pull 3D stunt/war plane​
1750KV with 7035/6030 prop : backward-push trainer​
2200KV with 6030/5030 prop : backward-push frighter​
2700KV with 5030 prop : backward-push high speed airplane​
In the situation of 2S 7.4V power supply, how to choose a propeller properly for 2212 motor:
Recommanded
1000KV with 1147 prop​
1400KV with 1060/9050 prop​
1750KV with 8060/8040 prop​
2200KV with 7035 prop​
2700KV with 6030 prop​

Packager Included
1 x XXD 2212 Brushless Motor​
1 x Htirc 30A ESC​
2 x Propeller​
1 x Accessories Pack​
1641224923956.png

Battery800

Elite member
I've been wanting to do a design of the XP55 - now maybe I don;t need to! :p
Idk man. I’ll start prototyping in a few days when I get the foam in. Gonna spend some time building and then I have to figure out how to make the plans from a physical plane and not a cad model

Battery800

Elite member
I will try but this build and plan-ifying in a month but this will be hard (lol school) don’t have a lot of time because I leave and get home around 7

Battery800

Elite member
Do you think I should have a servo range from 2-6? base of the elevon ones and the canard and rudder ones are optional? I might not make the rudders movable at all for strength purposes.

bwarz

Master member
Do you think I should have a servo range from 2-6? base of the elevon ones and the canard and rudder ones are optional? I might not make the rudders movable at all for strength purposes.
yea - probably 3 (canard, 2xaileron). The rudders would be tough to get a servo in the wing out that far without complicating things with bellcranks. Another forum member had built one several years back without rudders and it looked to work out well... https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ftfc18-wwii-curtiss-wright-xp-55-ascender.36123/
Flaps would be interesting as well (I'm on a flap kick lately :ROFLMAO:)