2022 The Hangar RC Community Build-Off

Battery800

Elite member
yea - probably 3 (canard, 2xaileron). The rudders would be tough to get a servo in the wing out that far without complicating things with bellcranks. Another forum member had built one several years back without rudders and it looked to work out well... https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ftfc18-wwii-curtiss-wright-xp-55-ascender.36123/
Flaps would be interesting as well (I'm on a flap kick lately :ROFLMAO:)
I was making double thickness rudder fins (maybe also with wood reinforcement sandwiched in it) and stuff the servo in the double thickness fins. I don't think I can run the canards off on one servo because it would be slots instead of the entire canard.

bwarz

Master member
I was making double thickness rudder fins (maybe also with wood reinforcement sandwiched in it) and stuff the servo in the double thickness fins. I don't think I can run the canards off on one servo because it would be slots instead of the entire canard.
ooo cool idea on the rudders! Not sure what you mean on the canard. I was thinking of a skewer through the fuselage with a canard attached to each end. Connect your servo horn to on side or the other (connecting to the skewer inside the fuselage would be neat but a total pain)?

Battery800

Elite member
ooo cool idea on the rudders! Not sure what you mean on the canard. I was thinking of a skewer through the fuselage with a canard attached to each end. Connect your servo horn to on side or the other (connecting to the skewer inside the fuselage would be neat but a total pain)?
yeah the skewer part wouldn't be easy. Might need more wood reinforcement witch might be harder to make

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I will be submitting the Prandlt-D wing.
IMG_20211114_090222841.jpg

And it seems like I will be putting in the SKY Javelin
IMG_20220119_020206550.jpg IMG_20220121_190323661.jpg
IMG_20220117_102924701.jpg

(modeled after the Real Flight 8 VTOL model, the SKY Terror Mk I)
1643123056548.png

The selling point for me on this model was the description of the RF 7.5e model. This is a model of a real aircraft using 2 JetCat P-60 Turbine engines. The warning is - "Don’t takeoff of or land in Grass a fire may ensue from the 1300-degree exhaust coming from the engine "

The had me at hello. First step was to design and build the model, confirm CG, and show it flies. I have built the model and done a glide test. I have it close at just behind the down exhaust from the 2-50mm edfs this model is designed for. The 50mm EDF produce ~1kg of thrust each. As the model will weight ~750g that is about 3x lifting vtol forces needed for the final model.

Last edited:

Off-topic jes

Elite member
I didn’t design this one but could you laser cutter kit for the RCM big bird 2 it’s a fantastic looking and flying airplane it’s an 83 inch wingspan so maybe you could size it down

FoamyDM

I took it for a maiden and.... Had some success but not In a way I wanted to showcase. :(
Maybe today.
Well here it is, as I run out of time to do more and refine it. (back slipped out on me - boop, there goes a weekend to fly and tweak) it DOES fly. but not like I feel it can achieve.

Battery800

Elite member
yea - probably 3 (canard, 2xaileron). The rudders would be tough to get a servo in the wing out that far without complicating things with bellcranks. Another forum member had built one several years back without rudders and it looked to work out well... https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ftfc18-wwii-curtiss-wright-xp-55-ascender.36123/
Flaps would be interesting as well (I'm on a flap kick lately :ROFLMAO:)
I think rudder being not movable would also help with the strength and chance of the breaking on landing

FoamyDM

I thought I heard in the discord channel that it was extended to sometime in march...
The Hangar RC indicated the Panel directing this contest was strongly leaning to extend it... but I have seen nothing about this. so... congrats to all those who managed to make a submission!