2023 Spring Sprint -Triangle - A blended wing body L Edge

L Edge

Master member
Finished off Triangle. Built this awhile back and had lots of fun until it went wild and crash. So, it went into hibernation into the bone yard and gathered dust.

Ended up re-gluing, doing hinged work on elevons, broken stab, replacement servo that caused the crash due to a dead spot in servo, and fixing up movable rudder. And of course, cleaning the dirt and grime and like all foam, it ages with a slight yellow color due to age.

Nothing but gusty winds for a few days, so no maiden. What is very nice is that the 7 x 5 prop is full protected from ground by skids for landing.
Will do video later.
So, one done. Triangle

Now onto "Double Trouble"

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
Here is 1st attempt of video in which the controls were at 100% travel which I forgot to reduce. Didn't find it until I got home.
The dumb camera man forgot to adjust the camera hat and didn't swivel head up/down or left/right enough. No expo either.

danskis

Master member
Not bad considering all the self imposed handicaps!! Where do you think the CG is going to end up?

Inq

Elite member
The dumb camera man forgot to adjust the camera hat and didn't swivel head up/down or left/right enough.
I found the normal (not dumb) human uses their eyes to follow objects naturally. Training to move you're head for every little movement is not natural. This requires practice and possibly training from the person that put the dumb hat on the camera man.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...ra-to-record-flights.71464/page-2#post-737374

This is tongue-in-cheek as I suspect you were. ;)

L Edge

Master member
Not bad considering all the self imposed handicaps!! Where do you think the CG is going to end up?

Need to have calm day to really check it out. Will do to find best position.. Flew yesterday in winds, all over place, fortunate to get it back with no problems.

Notice your jetfire!!! Here's mine. Built a wire coat hanger adapter to fit my transport wing and notice plate on frame. Held servo which released balsa glider about 400 ft in calm air. Adjusted wing so it was slightly nose heavy and added tape on wing so when released it, circle down after muchoo turns. Needed open field so I could retrieve.

spitfire.jpg

L Edge

Master member
I found the normal (not dumb) human uses their eyes to follow objects naturally. Training to move you're head for every little movement is not natural. This requires practice and possibly training from the person that put the dumb hat on the camera man.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...ra-to-record-flights.71464/page-2#post-737374

This is tongue-in-cheek as I suspect you were. ;)

There are times I need to zone in(so no screwups) and try to get the feel and fight the problems that exist. A blended wing body is a big problem to fly, like the SR-71. Get the pitch to high and it flips over backwards. Too low, it will dive down, speed up or gusts(airfoil body) and the lift has to be compensated.

Did you fly and video your wing and home made prop?

danskis

Master member
The Guillow's Jetfire was one of the pivotal planes that got me into modeling. I got the one avatar for a specific purpose. At the time I was into rock climbing and the goal was to carry it up and throw it off the top of a crag. This particular crag was part of a small mountain chain in my back yard. I had been up it before and there were tons of cliff swallows flying around and I thought this would be a good place to launch it. One throw and all it did was go up. The last I saw it it was about 10,000 ft. and climbing. The top of the crag was about 9500 ft.

L Edge

Master member
Today, did a flight with triangle--(Blended Wing Body) where it has been fixed up and is now in working order.

So here is the video of it showing it's age and it's finally reborn.