2023 Spring Sprint Wrap-Up Challenge

L Edge

Master member
First finished model - flight:

For your Prandtl D wing, if you take it up real high and shut your motor off, what kind of a max glide do you get into a low wind? Set rates low.

Also, have you had any luck of hitting a good thermal and try motor off to see what happens? Would be very interesting.

mastermalpass

Elite member
Assembled the DVa's power system this eve and put it on the test bench. 3S battery, 40a ESC, 1000kv motor, 12x5 wooden prop.

Throttled up to about two thirds throttle and held for one minute. The RPM stayed pretty consistent, but the motor Bell is too hot to hold onto for more than four seconds and it's making the standard 'overheating electronics l' smell. I was worried I might be asking too much of it. Trouble is, I kinda designed the formers and stuff around this motor. Here's hoping an 800kv motor isn't too much bigger.

Screenshot_20230321_215020_Gallery.jpg

FlyingTyger

Elite member
Assembled the DVa's power system this eve and put it on the test bench. 3S battery, 40a ESC, 1000kv motor, 12x5 wooden prop.

Throttled up to about two thirds throttle and held for one minute. The RPM stayed pretty consistent, but the motor Bell is too hot to hold onto for more than four seconds and it's making the standard 'overheating electronics l' smell. I was worried I might be asking too much of it. Trouble is, I kinda designed the formers and stuff around this motor. Here's hoping an 800kv motor isn't too much bigger.
What are the specs of the motor you have? And what are you looking to acquire?

mastermalpass

Elite member
What are the specs of the motor you have? And what are you looking to acquire?

All I have for this is that it is the Racestar BR2212 1000kv. I think I chucked the box it came in and the leaflet with it. I've ordered an Ares 750kv (800kv was surprisingly hard to get from the UK, would've had to wait for them to come from either China or US), which should arrive Monday.

FlyingTyger

Elite member
All I have for this is that it is the Racestar BR2212 1000kv. I think I chucked the box it came in and the leaflet with it. I've ordered an Ares 750kv (800kv was surprisingly hard to get from the UK, would've had to wait for them to come from either China or US), which should arrive Monday.
A 12x5 is a lot of prop for a 2212-1000kv motor. From what I have found, that Ares motor should work well for you. Looks like a 12x8 is what they recommend on a 3S battery.

mastermalpass

Elite member
A 12x5 is a lot of prop for a 2212-1000kv motor. From what I have found, that Ares motor should work well for you. Looks like a 12x8 is what they recommend on a 3S battery.

It arrived today. I'm happy to see that compared to the 1000kv, it won't be holding the prop out that much further forward. So no need to redesign the mount or anything:

Screenshot_20230326_233454_Gallery.jpg

I'm surprised, 'cause a 770kv motor I got a while back holds the prop out ahead by around an inch!
Screenshot_20230326_233459_Gallery.jpg

FlyingTyger

Elite member
It arrived today. I'm happy to see that compared to the 1000kv, it won't be holding the prop out that much further forward. So no need to redesign the mount or anything:

View attachment 236533

I'm surprised, 'cause a 770kv motor I got a while back holds the prop out ahead by around an inch!
View attachment 236534
That makes sense. The Ares is a 3511 where as the Aerostar is a 3536 IIRC. That means the motor is 25mm longer which equates to an inch.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
@FlyingTyger I forgot to update, but my p26 v1 turned out to be unsaveable, but I built a v2, reusing half hte parts form the v1. can I still keep participating in the challenge? also could hyou update the page to p26 v2, not v1.

speedfix

I actually haven't gotten any progress on my builds. Imma see what I can get done in the next 4 days. Here's what im thinkin:

-V900 rebuild
-Blade 120 S2 tail boom fix
-Maybe FT22 if i can stomach it

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I couldn't get a video of my p26 flying, but lass weekend, I flew it. (It only flew for about 30 milliseconds before nose diving, but still). @FlyingTyger does this count? Is there a minimum flight time? Do I need a video?

Spitfire76

I made a last minute sprint and have got one of my entires ready for a maiden flight.
Since I started this build in December of 2021 that is 15 months in the works so 15 points + 5 for the build log = 20 points for the moment.

aFyBZPeEQ2Cr11BspFCeKQ.jpg
sE8voFGMQBS6mcsm7NdGWg.jpg

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
After deciding whether or not to take the plywood spine to thread the wing halves through. Then I figured out where the battery should go and built the tray. The. Punted to a smaller 6S battery right in the nose.
IMG_20230429_150331673.jpg IMG_20230429_150335159.jpg
I added some canopy guides
IMG_20230429_150338032.jpg
One final assembly and test.
IMG_20230428_201938574.jpg
Despite good judgement telling me no... I went to the field in fading light, for the maiden
IMG_20230429_194815879.jpg

Maiden flight:

This project was born when the FEB 2022 issue of AMA mag came out, and I thought I can do that out of foam board, I think. 14 months ago I think.

FlyingTyger

Elite member
Sorry folks for my absence as of late, lots of life getting in the way. But I am trying to get everything caught up. I will be looking through the threads to add up the points over the next couple days. If anyone hasn't posted their finished projects yet, please do so now and/or let me know.