20mm brushless EDF jet

micro_builder

Hey folks,

Started this project quite a while ago, finally got around to finishing up, now just waiting for some nice calm air.

15" wingspan, all balsa, two 1.5 gram linear servos, banggood RX, 20mm brushless EDF courtesy of Nitrocharged, Sunrise ESC. Will run 2s first just to make sure she actually works, then may tempt fate by trying 3s (or maybe not...we'll see).

Didnt record the beginning of the build, and my computer threw a fit trying to deal with the rest of the footage, so this isnt much of a build video, but you get the idea. I'll update when I get her in the air, hopefully this weekend.

Nick

Check out Nitrocharged if you like micro EDF!

Attachments

• IMG_1626.jpg
    IMG_1626.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1930.jpg
    IMG_1930.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1952.jpg
    IMG_1952.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1954.jpg
    IMG_1954.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2103.jpg
    IMG_2103.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3291.jpg
    IMG_3291.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3294.jpg
    IMG_3294.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 0

micro_builder

Thank you! I was holding my breath hoping this thing would fly better than the last jet I built, very relieved it did. Will hopefully get a properly trimmed flight in this weekend.

Marzipan

hey micro, I just watched all your YT video's and what you're doing is le awesome!

no doubt you have a bazillion projects on the go...but your EF jet and a post about a mini SR-71 made my brain automatically combine the two:

are there EDF smaller than 20mm? if not, the SR-71 would have to be scaled up a bit for the jets to fit and look right. ;)

micro_builder

hey micro, I just watched all your YT video's and what you're doing is le awesome!

no doubt you have a bazillion projects on the go...but your EF jet and a post about a mini SR-71 made my brain automatically combine the two:

are there EDF smaller than 20mm? if not, the SR-71 would have to be scaled up a bit for the jets to fit and look right. ;)

Nice Black Bird (white bird? lol) There are a couple people making their own custom 20mm and smaller EDFs, but unfortunately, nothing commercially available as far as I know. Theres one guy on RCGroups whos working on some 10mm units, that would open up a lot of micro doors!

TedD70

There are a couple people making their own custom 20mm and smaller EDFs, but unfortunately, nothing commercially available as far as I know.

Sorry to dust off an old thread.

Has there been any movement in finding commercial 15-20mm EDF's?

I have always been interested in Burnelli's lifting body a/c and recently found that Boeing had done a little research in building a jet transport based on his work called the 754 Husky.

Boeing 754 Husky.jpg

Boeing talked about a 4 engine version for the military ... I love the idea of one in Air Superiority Grey with USAF markings. I am thinking about 20 to 24 inch wingspan ... with elevons for control and maybe flaps to slow it down for landings. It should be pretty light if I build a hollow fuselage.

First post btw. I have been lurking and binging on your vids. You do some pretty amazing work.

Last edited:

Tench745

Master member
Sorry to dust off an old thread.

Has there been any movement in finding commercial 15-20mm EDF's?

I have always been interested in Burnelli's lifting body a/c and recently found that Boeing had done a little research in building a jet transport based on his work called the 754 Husky.
Boeing talked about a 4 engine version for the military ... I love the idea of one in Air Superiority Grey with USAF markings. I am thinking about 20 to 24 inch wingspan ... with elevons for control and maybe flaps to slow it down for landings. It should be pretty light if I build a hollow fuselage.

First post btw. I have been lurking and binging on your vids. You do some pretty amazing work.
What a weird, cool plane! If you do build that one feel free to start a build thread for it. I'd love to see it come together.

Unfortunately I won't be much help with your question; I don't know much about small EDFs, but hopefully another comment here will draw the attention of those who can help.

TedD70

What a weird, cool plane! If you do build that one feel free to start a build thread for it. I'd love to see it come together.

Unfortunately I won't be much help with your question; I don't know much about small EDFs, but hopefully another comment here will draw the attention of those who can help.

I grew up just a block away from an old Aeromarine Factory where Brunelli kept some office space. I learned to drive in and around the old hangers and runways. My Dad told me about the Burnelli a/c and I got interested back in the 1960's. All of his designs are amazing ... and so is that Boeing design concept.

The Boeing model 754 was an un-compromised all-cargo transport to revolutionize the air-transport industry. The a/c was 162 feet long with a 210 foot long wing span and nearly 33,000 feet of cargo space. The 3 engine version was meant for short/medium routes, the 4 engine version would have handled long range routes and military transport.

I think it would fly well in almost any size, but I have no interest in building anything bigger than 20 to 24 inches. If I don't find 18 to 20mm edf's ... I sure do hope somebody else might get interested and give it a try. It just cannot be a tough build.

Fred Pena

Very cool build, I love the idea of edf's but just couldnt tolerate the sound, have an edf 30 with a little feigo motor in, sounds like a bunch of pissed off bees in an aluminum can!