250g and under planes

Sero

Elite member
I know @Sero got his mini mustang under 250 grams, and I imagine the commuter and mini scout could easily achieve that.

Built mine by pulling the paper off the inside where I could and using clear gorilla glue on everything except the servos so I could replace them if necessary. Further savings by taking the cover off the RX (saved 7 grams) and covering it in conformal coating.
IMG_20200112_105703.jpg

Since the above photo was taken I switched the ESC to this one which gave me a savings of 6 grams. But I had to switch to a higher c-rated battery as the one pictured wasn't adequate and that added about 8 grams. I'm currently using a 3D printed power pod which weighs about 7 grams more than the regular foam one.
The plane fly's quite well at the local parks but it's still more fun in a more open space, I radared this plane at a a little over 50 mph. Lowest speed I could get out of it was 19-20 mph.

I'm thinking of making a 4 channel Mini Scout as it will do better in a smaller space.

Sheriff

It's a Park 10 Cessna 182. $60 RTF. It's one screw to assemble. I'm really looking forward to flying it.

I had one and it flies GREAT !
It is the simplest way to get into the air. Just plug & play.

Head to www.Windy.com and setup an alert the know in advance when the winds will be calm in your area, specialy for the maiden flight since the trims will probably be off and it's hard to adjust if the airplane is thrown around the sky.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
How did it fly with the reduced wing area? :ROFLMAO:

And here is one I forgot about! This is the nanowing. It weighs 49 grams with the battery! It also flies incredibly slowly and it's pretty much perfect for indoor flying. We had fun in the gym by bringing in a desk fan, pointing it upwards and basically treating it like a thermal. Throttle not required!

View attachment 159445
I like it!
Do you have any more pics of the nanowing? parts list? I'd love to give this a go since I got some mini 1s' for my DLG, the Lumenier 205mahs were on sale for less than $3.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I like it!
Do you have any more pics of the nanowing? parts list? I'd love to give this a go since I got some mini 1s' for my DLG, the Lumenier 205mahs were on sale for less than $3.
This is one of the underside. Uses a coreless motor out of I think a Champ. Unfortunately I don't know where the ESC is from or what it is, doesn't have any markings on it. Reciever is a Redcon CM410x, servos are the tiniest ones I had available (1.7g!) I think they're from Hobbyking. Battery is a Nanotech 260mA 1s - I bought 5 of them at once because a while back Hobbyking had an insane sale and I paid $3.
P_20191202_184550.jpg
Surprisingly I could probably get this thing even lighter - the landing gear skid weighs 6g and it's pretty much just me trying to add useful nose weight. I also didn't remove the paper (on this scale, paper is heavy!) On my next micro indoor build, I'm going to try and get it sub-40g for the same wing area by stripping the paper off the top side (the under side is all that is needed as as long as I don't do anything dumb it will only take tensile load) and mostly off the bottom side, and also using an all-in-1 brick I took out of a dead Spacewalker so I don't need the separate receiver. That receiver is heavy!