250g and under planes

OliverW

Legendary member
Think a sub 250 would be fun to design & build. I believe I have enough parts from dead almost dead Champ RTF. The Champ components still function fine but the foam components no longer align well enough to be airworthy. I can order new parts to rebuild it or salvage the good stuff & reinvent the wheel, I mean, the wing.
I highly recommend these as a replacement. They are the easiest kits I have ever built. https://www.stevensaero.com/product...od/model-airplane-kits/rc-ultra-micro-indoor/

DutchRoll

I know I will be investing heavily in the Paper plate planes for a while..
you can print full size C-pack planes to be printed on 8.5x11" paper (1sheet per page) and built from that. the control system is out of a C-17 from banggood.
I think the AUW was near 50g.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/micro-p-38-no-controls-just-thrust-build.61150/

I know the SKinimoa is weighing in at @~45 50g for a 30" glider.
The 50" Minimoa AUW is about ~230g
I like the socks! That's dedication to your hobby, where you skip even putting shoes on before you maiden it!

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
I've done some testing with sub 250g planes and I'll be pumping out some serious stuff in this category for the near future. I'm going to start working with smaller motors and electronics, but I can already build a plane under 250g(possibly even under 200g) with an A pack 1806 radial and full park flyer performance and capability consistent with most mighty mini sized planes if I try(it's far from rocket science). With all the bright minds here I can tell you that if we get backed into this sub 250g category we will make the most out of it, with some great innovations(y)

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
I've done some testing with sub 250g planes and I'll be pumping out some serious stuff in this category for the near future. I'm going to start working with smaller motors and electronics, but I can already build a plane under 250g(possibly even under 200g) with an A pack 1806 radial and full park flyer performance and capability consistent with most mighty mini sized planes if I try(it's far from rocket science). With all the bright minds here I can tell you that if we get backed into this sub 250g category we will make the most out of it, with some great innovations(y)
It's a great way to experiment without breaking the bank that's for sure.

IdoAllMyOwnStunts

Elite member
Made 200 gram mini arrow that has 840 grams of thrust😱. Cobra 2205 2600 kv 5x5 prop, 30 amp ESC, 5 gram servos, 500 mah 3 cell. I removed the paper from the inside.
79261DEA-469E-4774-8E4E-93E636E9BC29.jpeg
BA41F769-B13D-46E9-B1F8-CE4A5508F9B8.jpeg
6E3971CA-241A-49DF-999C-21EB95AC6112.jpeg
8CFEB8D0-7F62-4557-81CD-475495FDCAD9.jpeg

IdoAllMyOwnStunts

Elite member
Appears to be way too much fun to be legal. Wait a minute?!?! Darn’it, that’s exactly what the FAA said that we‘ve arguing against, they’re trying to make fun illegal.
Sad but true, I mean it’s a 8 ounce foam plane that can’t do any damage if it tried...I’m in the middle of nowhere in the country and no one cares. Farmers all think they are UFOs lol. It’s been my hobby for 12 years and I’ve taught many kids how to fly and it’s part of my life and I wouldn’t be who I am without RC. Enough of my rant...I’m gonna go fly😜

Figure9

Elite member
Sad but true, I mean it’s a 8 ounce foam plane that can’t do any damage if it tried...I’m in the middle of nowhere in the country and no one cares. Farmers all think they are UFOs lol. It’s been my hobby for 12 years and I’ve taught many kids how to fly and it’s part of my life and I wouldn’t be who I am without RC. Enough of my rant...I’m gonna go fly😜

Fly indeed! I also live in a rural setting among respectful citizens & flyers.

Figure9

Elite member
I've never flown a wing that I really liked, in fact, the only one I've even kept around is my little Dart. I like it because I have yaw control, makes it feel more like a traditional plane.

With a 750mah battery it comes in at only 225 grams...

View attachment 161278

You can use YAW control...?!?! Only time I ever actually used it was flying my Champ RTF & only because it didn’t have aileron controls! Now I fly 4 channel airplanes & the rudder stick always sits idle, but maybe Newbies newer than me that might think I’m an ace that can use the rudder... ;):censored::cool: