250g and under planes

Figure9

Elite member
Me too, I soloed in an 65hp L2 Taylorcraft, flew my solo X-countries from the back seat of a 65hp J-3 & did my hood work with altimeter, airspeed, needle & ball, and some Aerobatics in a Citabria 7EC. Thing is, after flying all my life, I swear none of that crossed over to RC flying in my case.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
You're not the first guy I've heard that from! You see the same thing with long time rifle shooters when they start tying to improve pistol skills. While the fundamentals should be the same it doesn't always work out that way. I soloed in a Champ, got a lot of stick time in my uncles supercub, then flew ultralights for a few years (was so much cheaper!) I never did finish and get my pilots license, life hasn't permitted that yet! Kind of how I've found myself in this hobby I suppose. I fly FPV more than I do anything else, even land that way more often than not. Guess this will have to suffice until I win the lottery! lol

Figure9

Elite member
You're not the first guy I've heard that from! You see the same thing with long time rifle shooters when they start tying to improve pistol skills. While the fundamentals should be the same it doesn't always work out that way. I soloed in a Champ, got a lot of stick time in my uncles supercub, then flew ultralights for a few years (was so much cheaper!) I never did finish and get my pilots license, life hasn't permitted that yet! Kind of how I've found myself in this hobby I suppose. I fly FPV more than I do anything else, even land that way more often than not. Guess this will have to suffice until I win the lottery! lol

Are you familiar with Phu Bai?

Bricks

Master member
Learn to do flat turns using rudder will make a huge difference in your flying in windy conditons, and your landings expecially in cross winds. Many crashes are from landings when speed is slower and the pilot only uses ailerons to correct which drops a tip and can cause a tip stall. When making the correction using a rudder flat turn it keeps the wings flevel so that both wings continue to fly.

Headbang

Master member
Age old issue! I know ppl who have been flying for 30yrs who still never touch the rudder. I like to teach my students how to use rudder before we ever get to take off and landings. Amazing how many catastrophic landings I see that could have been easily solved with a little rudder!

OliverW

Legendary member
Age old issue! I know ppl who have been flying for 30yrs who still never touch the rudder. I like to teach my students how to use rudder before we ever get to take off and landings. Amazing how many catastrophic landings I see that could have been easily solved with a little rudder!
I can't live without the rudder! On planes that don't have it, I still move the left stick lol

Figure9

Elite member

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I can't live without the rudder! On planes that don't have it, I still move the left stick lol
I built a tiny trainer glider for one of my boys, did a little slope soaring with it even, but when i flew it I'd have to switch it back! I can fly without ailerons, but I can't fly with my right stick running my rudder! My brain just wouldn't let that work for me... lol

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I built a tiny trainer glider for one of my boys, did a little slope soaring with it even, but when i flew it I'd have to switch it back! I can fly without ailerons, but I can't fly with my right stick running my rudder! My brain just wouldn't let that work for me... lol
Right stick rudder was where I did my first couple 3 channel flights. Then took up a bank and yank Spitfire and was hooked from there, set the throttle and fly

OliverW

Legendary member
I ordered the 1918 Hergt Monoplane. I’m doing a bit of research on materials for balsa building. There’s a balsa section in the forums. Do you have any tips for me on building with balsa as opposed to the DTFB & FTFB I’ve been using up to now?
Use thin CA with an applicator tip, and you have to go through every step of the manual so it will look and fly good