2804 motor for mini speedster

shayb

Hello.

i am building the mini speedster and by mistake i ordered 2804 motor instead of the recommended 1804 motor , will the 2804 fit in this plane?

PoorManRC

Master member
Not without serious modifications.... If you can make it work, it should be an ANIMAL that will rip its Wings off!!! 😲😲

Foam Board Aircraft are all about experimenting.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
A 2804 and a 2204 could be roughly the same size motor depending on where they decide to measure specs from. Some measure the can at a 2804, where the same size motor as a 2204 would be measured at the stator.

There is no standard.

But there are a couple ways to tell if they are the same size. One would be to look at the dimensions as a drawing or from the list of specs, sometimes you can tell there what the stator size is. Or you could look at the weight, the 2804 and 2204 might be generally the same weight.

PoorManRC

Master member
Yeah.... Sadly there is no standard for motor size!! 😖😞 I still get lost.

I've got a 2218 and a 3530 - that are the EXACT SAME SIZE!!! 😖

Not sure how they expect newcomers to understand... There's GOT to be some kind of change in the way Motors are listed.
My 2218 AND 3530 are ALSO called a .40 size AND in some cases, a 55 GRAM Motor!!!! 😖😡😲😲😲😲
We need a road map!

slowjo

Master member
Hello.

i am building the mini speedster and by mistake i ordered 2804 motor instead of the recommended 1804 motor , will the 2804 fit in this plane?
I thought the 2804 was the F motor and the 1804 was the A motor??? I thought it was like the B and C motors for the bigger planes

Mikej

A motor is 180,6 as BA says 2205, both 2300kV (ish).

I've used Emax and also Racerstar from BG and happy with either

Oldbrass

I have a 2205 in mine and didn’t like how twitchy it made it to fly. I wound up adding an upper wing and making it a biplane and it’s just fantastic now.

Oldbrass

Very cool. Pictures?
You bet! I also supersized the design by 50% to make a jumbo biplane speedster. It's powered with a 2212 and a 2200mAh 3c. The yellow one I names "Limoncello" and the green one is "Key Lime Pi"

Other additions were changing the undercarrage to something that worked (the stock arrangement is just terrible) and adding a cheek piece doubler to the sides of the engine compartment for added support. Yeah, it's heavier for sure, but I can land both of these planes quite nicely with some throttle management. On the big guy, I also added a castoring tailwheel and some supports for the horizontal stabilizer to keep things from twisting since it's just a single thickness.

Attachments

• IMG-7773.jpg
    IMG-7773.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-7769.jpg
    IMG-7769.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-7770.jpg
    IMG-7770.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

FrankFly

You bet! I also supersized the design by 50% to make a jumbo biplane speedster. It's powered with a 2212 and a 2200mAh 3c. The yellow one I names "Limoncello" and the green one is "Key Lime Pi"

Other additions were changing the undercarrage to something that worked (the stock arrangement is just terrible) and adding a cheek piece doubler to the sides of the engine compartment for added support. Yeah, it's heavier for sure, but I can land both of these planes quite nicely with some throttle management. On the big guy, I also added a castoring tailwheel and some supports for the horizontal stabilizer to keep things from twisting since it's just a single thickness.
Both very cool. Love the paint and decoration. The smaller one is 3 channel?
Off the subject, I see the battery tester/alarm. I've played with those unsuccessfully. What voltage do you set the alarm to?

Oldbrass

Thanks!

Yup! The regular sized one (yellow) is a three channel. I put inboard ailerons on the big guy and they definitely help, though I'm going to increase the throw on them to get a little more purchase. I set then inboard of the spars since the wing is just a single thickness and not intended for that much punishment.

As for the battery alarm, I love mine. I kept over draining lipos and decided to buy a few. They're silly cheap and I set min for 3.5 per cell. Work like a charm!